Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2016, 07:30 AM   #501
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Well finally getting around to posting about the door handle fix. The handle in the door (at least on mine) was a Trimark latch handle found in the larger motor home storage bays. Local RV shop was able to provide a replacement. BUT like all things for these classics it required a bit of modification.

Attachment 265224

The handle through did not have a long enough travel for the length of rod. Additionally it would bind up. A couple of minutes with a grinder and problem fixed.

Attachment 265225

Attachment 265226

Now the only issue is the bolt sticks out to far to allow the panel to go back on.

Attachment 265227

So I will use a cutting wheel to shorten. Next weekend a plan on trying to get the inside door panels off while it is still cool out. I will use them as a pattern to cut new panels out of the interior grade aluminum..... Should look a whole lot better then the vinyl!
That door handle looks identical to the one that broke on Sonia's '92 250, discussed in this thread (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ll-143980.html) so maybe it was a common part used in all the motorhome of that period?
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:30 AM   #502
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
1991 Classic 350 LE

I think you are correct. They were and thankfully still are readily available.

Which really makes me wonder why Airatream used them LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #503
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Well, Felicia and I sold the MoHo today to one of our fellow forum members; dspaw. He flew down from Cleveland to see it in person and apparently liked what he saw. He is a great guy and has the right attitude to own and maintain a classic Airstream MoHo. I will make sure he starts a new thread or takes over this one about his trials, tribulations and moments of out right Joy in his ownership. Hopefully you all will guide him along the way as you did me! For which I will be eternally grateful! I look back at how far the Moho has come and realize it was truely a team effort. Brad and Steve talked me off the cliff several times.

It has been a very emotional roller coaster the past two months as we decided to sell the MoHo. Not really decided since there really was no choice. For those wondering, 2 months ago I took some antibiotics for an ingrown toenail. I had a severe allergic reaction and started throwing up and continued to for 18 hours. Well the severe vomitting put me into Atrial fibrilation and my heart started producing a bunch of clots due to the erratic and rapid beating (185 bpm). I am told I had a heart attack that night. 48 hours later the afib came back with vengeance and I had a massive heart attack that blocked the back side of my heart. I was in the Hospital when it happened, which is a good place to be for those types of things. They were able to clear the clot in the cath lab, but the damage was still significant. As a result I have Congestive heart failure, frequent bouts of pericarditis, plueritis and the sacks around my heart and lungs filling with blood and fluid. BUT I am incredibly lucky since the blood cots went to my heart instead of my brain which would have caused massive strokes. So there is a silver lining to everything. Oh and now that I have a handi-cap placard I am going to go to Walmart (before Dave returns to pick it up) early one morning with the MoHo and park across 6 handi-cap spaces.

I still plan to read and participate in the forums since I have so much I need to give back for all the help people were to me. I told Dave that I am always a phone call away to help with what ever he needs. Granted, I probably won't know the answer, but after 3.5 years I know which one of you will! Felicia and I also plan to live vicariously through them so he better post lots of picks!!

Well I am wiped out since I was out of my recliner for 5 whole hours today- A new personal record. I was sweating profusely in the heat which ironically worked better at keeping my CHF at bay then the Laysix! Like I said, there is a silver (or aluminum) lining in everything!

I will end this diatribe with a few of my favorite before and after pics.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2344.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	265254

Name:	AE2.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	265255

Name:	AE (Medium).jpg
Views:	147
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	265256

Name:	GOPR0776 (Medium).JPG
Views:	137
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	265257

Name:	GOPR0019 (Medium).JPG
Views:	151
Size:	487.6 KB
ID:	265258
Old 06-27-2016, 05:02 AM   #504
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
PM sent.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #505
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Dave,

It breaks my heart to hear that story; how something can come out of nowhere and totally mess up your life.

Given all that you've been through, I can't say how much I admire your ability to still maintain a touch of humor. I hope to have half as much composure should I ever be confronted with such hellish reality.

I truly wish you all the best. Be well.

Charly
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:47 PM   #506
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
Dave,

It breaks my heart to hear that story; how something can come out of nowhere and totally mess up your life.

Given all that you've been through, I can't say how much I admire your ability to still maintain a touch of humor. I hope to have half as much composure should I ever be confronted with such hellish reality.

I truly wish you all the best. Be well.

Charly
Charley,

Thanks for the kind words. As far as hellish reality, given the other choices it ain't so bad! Plus, the MoHo was great, don't get me wrong, but it is just a thing. It meant a lot to us, but you need a good kick in the head to set your priorities strait. And that's what Felicia and I got. In the end we will Miss the MoHo, but We would miss each other more. Brought to you by the Hallmark Company.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:45 PM   #507
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Geez. I've looking at this thread for hours not knowing how to, or if I should reply. I'm really sorry to hear of your misfortune and the resulting redirect of its effects.

I've enjoyed swapping emails and following your posts. Hopefully we can physically cross paths again, this time at a campground.

Vernon
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #508
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Geez. I've looking at this thread for hours not knowing how to, or if I should reply. I'm really sorry to hear of your misfortune and the resulting redirect of its effects.

I've enjoyed swapping emails and following your posts. Hopefully we can physically cross paths again, this time at a campground.

Vernon
Vernon,

I hope to cross paths with you as well! I wont be in the MoHo, but hopefully a smaller airstream trailer that needs nothing done to it!
Old 06-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #509
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
V.... but hopefully a smaller airstream trailer that needs nothing done to it!
Now you are talking, Dave. The work you did on your 350 is exquisite. I wished I could have continued all of your hard work. You may know that I own both a 310 and a trailer. You will without a doubt enjoy owning an Airstream trailer and both of you can easily pull it. As you know so well, driving the "beast" is a love/hate kinda thing. My experience has been that long distance travel is a lot less stressful with a trailer and a newer TV. I have owned many different models and would be happy to give you my thoughts on anything you may be looking at.
Carry on, friend...
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:26 PM   #510
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Peter,

We actually owned a 7 year old 25ft classic when we sold it to buy the MoHo! Yeah, we were that crazy!

Felicia towed it with no issues but wasn't comfortable driving the MoHo. So we will see what is down the line, but for right now we are just kicking back and enjoying life. I still have a few easy projects in the MoHo to finish before Dave picks it up. So I am not totally out of the game.

Take care and thanks!
Dave

Old 07-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #511
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
wow!

That is such a crazy story. I have enjoyed reading all about your adventures restoring the beast except the last one. In fact I am replacing my Energenius in my 350LE and reading how you did yours. I do have some questions about how to do it. Do you still remember how it went? I would still like your advise. Lets stay in touch. Steve Greer
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:03 PM   #512
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by t7389sg View Post
That is such a crazy story. I have enjoyed reading all about your adventures restoring the beast except the last one. In fact I am replacing my Energenius in my 350LE and reading how you did yours. I do have some questions about how to do it. Do you still remember how it went? I would still like your advise. Lets stay in touch. Steve Greer
Steve,

Thanks. I still remember how I did it. PM me your email and I will send you pics and the transfer switch wiring diagram. I will pm you my cell as well if you have any questions, please give me a call!
Old 07-06-2016, 03:44 PM   #513
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
Dave, sent you an email
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:09 AM   #514
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
I have a 1991 350 LE here in Ontario, Canada
My vin is 1A9JGAV34MJ011306
Do you know how many where built in 91?
Is there some way of finding out how many are still on the road?

Thanks
Howard
Old 08-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #515
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaValleyGuy View Post
I have a 1991 350 LE here in Ontario, Canada
My vin is 1A9JGAV34MJ011306
Do you know how many where built in 91?
Is there some way of finding out how many are still on the road?

Thanks
Howard

Howard,

I saw a production sheet years ago when I was researching that very question and haven't been able to find it again. I remember that it had 15 for 1991 and 15 for 1992. I don't know if that was planned or actual builds... I know of 6 still on the road. 3 of those are here on the forums.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #516
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Well, the new owners dropped by to pick up the MoHo on Monday and after 1.5 days of going over the systems and digging through all the left over, project and spare pieces I had they headed out yesterday. Dave (dspaw) and his son Bill are on their way back to Cleveland Cleveland, Ohio. I received word that it has been smooth sailing so far and they are almost home.

He is planning to come back down and pick more stuff that I have tucked away (spare windshield).

Dave promised that he will either continue this thread or start his own thread covering his work and adventures.

Felicia and I hope that he and his family have as much fun and adventure as we did. It will be sorely missed! Here are a few pictures before they drove off into the great unknown.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1471457659.061007.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	269316

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1471457682.295630.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	269317

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1471457701.560921.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	269318

Old 08-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #517
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thats one fine rig they just bought. Heres hoping they give it the love and care that you did Dave.....sounds like they will. Safe travels Dave.

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #518
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Mike, I agree. We definitely sold it to the right people and they definitely got a great rig &deal.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:05 AM   #519
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Mentor , Ohio
Taking over the 350 LE

I would like to thank Dave and Felicia for being so nice to me and my son during our trip to Mississippi to pick up the moho. Dave is a great guy and a real gentleman, and I am happy to have met him.

The moho ran great on the way home - 1100 miles without a problem. Engine temperature never above 185-190, at which point the fan clutch would engage and bring the temps back down to about 180. We would go at 60-65mph at 2200-2400 rpms.

I have a inside storage place lined up - it is only about 5 miles from my shop - the moho will be going there as soon as I complete the title transfer process and talk to the uphosterer. The moho is too nice to leave outside, so I will move it from the storage to my shop when I have time to work on it.

There are lots of little projects to do, and maybe a big one here and there, and I have tons of questions to ask. Mostly we have to finish the lounge area, install some furnaces, and work on the electrical system, and ... I don't expect to ever run out of things to do.

I have never been big on taking photographs and posting on-line, but will make a real effort to keep continue Dave's documentation of the restoration of the 350.

I can't thank Dave and Felicia enough for being so kind to us. I look forward to seeing them again when I return to Mississippi in the fall to pick up some odds and ends (windshield!!) that he has for the moho.

Dave
dspaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:49 AM   #520
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Aloha Dave and Bill, welcome to Airforums

Thanks for touching in, we here on the motorhomes section are a small close knit group of enthusiasts, mostly hands on owners.
We share lots of support and info toward the maintainance and enjoyment of our coaches

Dave, the former caretaker of your coach, was one of the first to welcome me into the fold and is active here, so we have all been able to follow the great progress that he made while the coach was with him.
My favorite is the beautiful transformation in the bedroom. Kind of nautical to my eye. As is fitting.

I hope you are able to continue to participate on the forum and keep us posted on your new coach and adventures.

Cheers Richard

Ps. Dave and Felicia. So glad to hear that you will be staying in touch here, so look forward to hearing of your next adventures. Be well (as you can be) and enjoy each other, Aloha nui loa, Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote