Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #1

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
St Thomas , Ontario
1986 345 Air Conditioners

Hello all, Hope everyone is coping with the latest world Challenge. We were looking forward to taking a trip with our 345 which we have only used for one weekend since getting it early last year. We have done a lot of work on it. But, my question is can the original air conditioners be recharged. The rear roof top one works fine. The front one will not blow cold. The heater works fine. I'm not sure of the exact model. I think it is a 6779 Delta TX series. I discussed it with our RV repair guy and he indicated that recharging them is not easy and recommended replacing it with a newer Low Profile model. In Canada where we are this would cost around $1000.00.

So, I am wondering if replacing the old one with new is the better way to go but it concerns me that it will look different and possibly lesson its value. On the other hand maybe its a good selling feature. Sorry, NOT FOR SALE YET.
Best regards to all
David
bigtrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
David,

My only real comment is for me it would raise the value or at least keep the value even and not drop it due too having two old air conditioners on it.

The low profile is the way to go.

Just my two cents.

By the way, welcome to Airforums!

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #3
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrains View Post
Hello all, Hope everyone is coping with the latest world Challenge. We were looking forward to taking a trip with our 345 which we have only used for one weekend since getting it early last year. We have done a lot of work on it. But, my question is can the original air conditioners be recharged. The rear roof top one works fine. The front one will not blow cold. The heater works fine. I'm not sure of the exact model. I think it is a 6779 Delta TX series. I discussed it with our RV repair guy and he indicated that recharging them is not easy and recommended replacing it with a newer Low Profile model. In Canada where we are this would cost around $1000.00.

So, I am wondering if replacing the old one with new is the better way to go but it concerns me that it will look different and possibly lesson its value. On the other hand maybe its a good selling feature. Sorry, NOT FOR SALE YET.
Best regards to all
David

Before ditching the old one, and unless your RV guy told you its low on Freon, I would replace the compressor start capacitor. It s an inexpensive item and easy to replace. Be careful the capacitor may have a load on it, even if not plugged in.

1992 350LE Classic Touring Coach
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:47 PM   #4
"Contact!"

1981 28' Airstream 280
Pierre , South Dakota
AirCon

Brad and Dan,

Compiling a list of parts for the next go round of refit. If you were to replace your roof air units, and had a thumpin' Onan 7.0 to push them with, what units would you get?

Thanks!

Kevin
propstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by propstrike View Post
Brad and Dan,

Compiling a list of parts for the next go round of refit. If you were to replace your roof air units, and had a thumpin' Onan 7.0 to push them with, what units would you get?

Thanks!

Kevin
15k low profile units, heat pumps if you can afford them. Last two units that I installed were the taller style and they just don't look good up there.
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:36 AM   #6
"Contact!"

1981 28' Airstream 280
Pierre , South Dakota
Thanks, B! Golden advice. I wasn't thinking about heat pumps! Low Profile, 15K BTU heat pumps it is.

I'm continually going back through and reading yours, Martins, Taps, Peter, Tony, KeyAir (and others) build threads, systems troubleshooting and build outs. Amazing work!

Kevin
Old 06-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey.
You may be able to call a refrigeration company that goes to grocery stores or a compresser repair co some of the older stuff had freon. They don't just crack a line and let it go. They may have a bottle of it laying around your system wint take much freon. Just a thought. Dj
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:47 PM   #8
"Contact!"

1981 28' Airstream 280
Pierre , South Dakota
Thanks, Davejay!

I'm normally all about fixing and continuing a component in service, but once in a while it's just time to retire and acquire. Usually, that happens when I can't find parts for something anymore, and making them is too big a PITA.

You did make me think about reclaiming what's left in the systems, though. I think I may have a tank of the old R12, laying in my storage. I should borrow the cart from work and empty those units into that can. Good idea, be a friend to the Ozone, etc.