Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2022, 08:52 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Northern , California
What would be insanely cool is if you converted it to be an EV, just saying
DrivingDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:37 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingDan View Post
What would be insanely cool is if you converted it to be an EV, just saying
Edging ever closer to a reality https://www.gdanielprigmore.com/true...e-west/gmc-ev/
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 07:48 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
Fayetteville , North Carolina
Very cool, can't wait to follow your progress. Good luck. Also, will be interested to hear what you find out about the vehicle's provenance.
barnhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 06:24 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Bolton , Massachusetts
I bought my 1985 345 new and I am still using it.after 250 k miles I went for new engine tranny .do NOT use and LKR reman engine .mine blew up at 3000 miles (2k guarantee )
now I put in a JASPER with a 100k mile guraantee .
Many bits to tinker and fix watch those old dometic heaters -dangerous !! also sooner or later you will tank the dash out .Bob says he took out 40 ft of excess wire I believe it.rats nest that needs re org. p30 parts EZ to get rebuilt the chassis a few years ago.all the rubber ,shocks etc EZ to replace.
motor job requires help,nose lift and some other gear .
dash heat and AC will drive you NUTZ
good luck and have some fun
Paul J Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 01:54 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
We have a 270, believe it was available only in 1984 and measures about 27.5’. You have a lot of modifications from the standard MH set-up. I noticed your windows do not slide open, and you will be locked-in to a side bathroom in your rebuild. Do you have propane on board?

Looking forward to see something clever with that rear door opening!!!
Kvsterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 04:13 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Airstream 270
FALLON , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J Mauro View Post
I bought my 1985 345 new and I am still using it.after 250 k miles I went for new engine tranny .do NOT use and LKR reman engine .mine blew up at 3000 miles (2k guarantee )
now I put in a JASPER with a 100k mile guraantee .
Many bits to tinker and fix watch those old dometic heaters -dangerous !! also sooner or later you will tank the dash out .Bob says he took out 40 ft of excess wire I believe it.rats nest that needs re org. p30 parts EZ to get rebuilt the chassis a few years ago.all the rubber ,shocks etc EZ to replace.
motor job requires help,nose lift and some other gear .
dash heat and AC will drive you NUTZ
good luck and have some fun

The heaters and AC worry me the least actually, my shop is well equipped to repair or replace nearly any components in those departments, we can also make custom AC Lines, have an r12 and r134a machine, can get custom cores etc....

Jasper is actually our preferred engine provider for their warranty, and the fact that they actually honor and stand behind their warranty unlike many others, and long reputation.

Ive been wanting a P30 because my shop works on them, and they appear to be some of the better built, easier to find parts for motorhomes. When i found airstream was a body Manfucature for P30's i knew i had to have it. easy to work on, solid strong chassis and powertrain, simple 454. its the perfect combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvsterling View Post
We have a 270, believe it was available only in 1984 and measures about 27.5’. You have a lot of modifications from the standard MH set-up. I noticed your windows do not slide open, and you will be locked-in to a side bathroom in your rebuild. Do you have propane on board?

Looking forward to see something clever with that rear door opening!!!
no onboard propane, we will likely install an underbody 5-7 gallon tank.

One option is, but Im not sure if i want a big ole bathroom, with added shower and vanity in the rear, its easy, unfortunately.

I think id like a bed with small under-storage and room for some systems, that way you can open the hatch up and lay in bed viewing wherever your at. In this setup id leave the bathroom, knock the transverse wall out, and extend it with an over the wheel well, sit in shower and new door for acess to those areas. itll be a bit tight.

any ideas? the floorpan is ever changing in my head as it stands
Itsthatsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsthatsguy View Post
there's an assy number on the back but searchs don't pull anything, no manufacture.

In case you don't know, if the number is of the form 91417 623560G-03 (typical assembly number), or 91417 623501-001 (typical piece part number), the first five digits are a "Cage Code" and can reveal the manufacturer.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 06:25 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Airstream 270
FALLON , NV
Update

We rebuilt the Carb a few days ago, got it reinstalled.

Today we chased the electrical to an external Holley fuel pump on the tank. much to our surprise, we got key-on power to it with only 1 bad connection.

the pump would spin and sound as normal as it gets so we tried getting it to pump gas to the carb but it was bone dry up top.

we started looking for obstructions or kinked lines or cracks, anything that would prewvent the flow of fuel.... thats when i thought, hell maybe they drained it when they parked it. So we threw in 2 gallons of gas.

Unbelievably it fired right up and held idle.

my best guess is that the previous owner had parked it, removed the batteries and cables, and disconnected the fuel pump, perhaps to use it to drain the tank, since it was totally empty. I think they had long term plans for storing it. it should've had some sort of old bad gas leftover but absolutely nothing. no turpentine smell from the exhaust either so it was empty empty.

We put it in gear, rolled it forward and back, and then drove about 50 ft. everything worked great for our first short trip.

now to migrate it to our cement pad, do a LOF, Transmission Service, Brakes all around (possibly some hydraulics too, its spongey as all get out). we'll pull some plugs and the cap to check the condition, but it idled like a purring kitten. i cannot believe it sat for almost 12 years given how good it runs.

major score.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:08 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:
We rebuilt the Carb a few days ago, got it reinstalled.

Today we chased the electrical to an external Holley fuel pump on the tank. much to our surprise, we got key-on power to it with only 1 bad connection. maybe they drained it when they parked it. So we threw in 2 gallons of gas.

it fired right up and held idle.

my best guess is that the previous owner had parked it, removed the batteries and cables, and disconnected the fuel pump,
sounds like it was stored properly, expecting a long term sit
good the engine wasn't seized they probably oiled it down before storage
possible they changed the fuel tank or the pump has a really low pickup
if the pickup is low it can pump the tank almost dry especially with the older diaphram type of pumps in good condition
hairyclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 08:53 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Airstream 270
FALLON , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyclive View Post
sounds like it was stored properly, expecting a long term sit
good the engine wasn't seized they probably oiled it down before storage
possible they changed the fuel tank or the pump has a really low pickup
if the pickup is low it can pump the tank almost dry especially with the older diaphram type of pumps in good condition
yea i believe the pickup was fairly low and that they did things the right way amazingly, at my auto shop we very really see people properly storing vehicles for long term.

The Radiator was bone dry and took about 6 gallons. we expected it to have a major leak, but the system was completely watertight. we got it up to temp and the thermostat cycled and the engine held temp. We think they also drained the radiator (although thats not as necessary for storage if it was proper coolant) Still though, remarkably few issues so far.

Just another clue to them storing it properly.
Old 12-29-2022, 08:09 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:
yea i believe the pickup was fairly low and that they did things the right way amazingly, at my auto shop we very really see people properly storing vehicles for long term.

The Radiator was bone dry and took about 6 gallons. we expected it to have a major leak, but the system was completely watertight. we got it up to temp and the thermostat cycled and the engine held temp. We think they also drained the radiator (although thats not as necessary for storage if it was proper coolant) Still though, remarkably few issues so far.

Just another clue to them storing it properly.
actually some types of coolant go corrosive after long term storage so a water flush with a corrosion inhibitor and dry drain is the best method to long term store an engine. I have also heard cases of people storing with the cooling system full of oil to prevent internal corrosion of the block.
hairyclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 08:50 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
Power in America was 50 Hz in several areas early in 1900’s; the change to 60 Hz came about as the nation became inter-connected.
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 10:35 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
If that fell into my lap, I would restore the exterior with full NASA, USAF, or appropriate markings.

BAD ASS!!
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:09 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Airstream 270
FALLON , NV
Wooohoo!!!! Major good news today!!!!

when i went to get the title transferred, it turned out the previous owners had jumped title and had signed a section of it where they declared delivery and receipt of the vehicle. the section for the seller was notarized, signed and clean, and the applicant for new owner of title section had no writing, but the DMV still said the 1 signature was enough to deny the transfer.

i had filed with my local court for an abandoned vehicle claim, as the vehicle now sat on my land, unable to have transfer of title. I explained I purchased it, and presented them with the title, bill of sale, and certified letters to the previous signee. after a few days they approved it!!!

i now have a court order for the DMV to present me with clear title to the vehicle.

work proceeds to the vehicle as we reinstall the intake manifold (vacuum leak) and finish the tune up.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:31 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Great news, congratulations!!
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:44 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Airstream 270
FALLON , NV
Here is the latest progress update got a lot of it stripped down and the new flooring starting to go in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230430_075114.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	430994  
Old 05-07-2023, 10:32 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
In the rear, is that a door or ramp?

When we gutted ours for the rebuild, we kept most things at their original location due to the exterior vent locations. Fridge, furnace, plumbing main stack, and tank locations remained the same. We took out one sofa and added a large 6-drawer cabinet with large countertop.

Always short countertop space if one likes to cook, so adding where you can may be a good ideaClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1080.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	574.9 KB
ID:	431252Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2290.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	580.1 KB
ID:	431253
Kvsterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 05:58 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Airstream 270
FALLON , NV
Ill try to draw out a floorplan later, its getting absurd in my RV, Garbage Disposal, Dishwasher, even a bathtub lmao (On demand hot water, sop shower pan vs full bath.... easy choice) (Yes the bed and bath will have a view through the rear hatch)

Its a door/ hatch not a ramp, ive thought of flipping it with stairs incorporated possibly.

in the front i wiill have an 8ft herringbone acacia butcher blocker for a counter, with 32 inch "Nano" Sink (The chinese multi function one with waterfall, cup washer, incorporated strainer/wash basin/ cutting board)

The butcher block will end at a lazy susan, im using SOSS Hinges to have the perpendicular edge of the lazy susan be made of butcher block, it will be able to fold up, and connect to a 24" drawer cabinet across the "Cab" Entrance isleway. ill be able to lock it up to get an unfolded 14ft of counter at times.
Old 05-20-2023, 08:33 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Airstream 270
FALLON , NV
Got some cabinets in today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230520_181717.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	432125   Click image for larger version