Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2020, 11:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sunnyvale , California
1984 Model 345 - maiden roadtrip

I bought a 1984 345 on eBay in late May 2020. The MH was located in Memphis, TN where I picked it up on Monday. Over the past 6 days we drove 2,300 miles, which was a great way to quickly understand the true state of the vehicle. Needless to say, not everything went perfectly but we did arrive safely home earlier today. More about that later.

The vehicle has an interesting history. It was owned by the Dometic corporation and used as a demo vehicle. I have the original driving logs that show where the vehicle has been. Very cool. Of course the vehicle is decked out with Dometic technology: fridge, ice cube maker, microwave, air conditioners, forced air heating system, central air heating system (yes, 3 different heating systems!), 7kW generator, etc

Between May and now I had the vehicle thoroughly inspected (specifically mechanically) and replaced some critical parts like all new tires, brakes, steering, front airbags, batteries, and alternator.

Back to our road trip, here are some of the things that went wrong:

1. First thing to fail was the starter solinoid. It came loose and was just hanging in the engine compartment. Luckily it didn’t hit the fan. A mechanic showed us how to bypass it with a piece of electrical wire. So we’re good.

2. Then the brakes went soft. We discovered there was no oil left because of a small leak in the master cylinder. Once we refilled it, everything went back to normal. We’re now checking braking fluid every morning before leaving and topping it up as needed, along with topping up engine oil. I noticed the engine is drinking a lot of oil, about 1 quart per 250-300 miles.

3. This morning we had a flat crank battery, so we jump started it with the house batteries. This is a bit concerning because both alternator and battery are new. Don’t know what could be causing this. I’m doing this trip with 2 friends. One was handling the jumper cables, one was turning the ignition switch, while I was shortcutting the solinoid

4. The engine was running very smoothly. Mostly at 3000 rpm, between 55 and 60 mph, and 200-210 water degree temperature. We had a few scares while climbing highway 40 to 7000 ft around Flagstaff, with temperature climbing above 220 but turning off cabin AC helped with that. I did notice we could not maintain 60mph while climbing. Our speed dropped to 35-45 mph on steep parts. I didn’t try to downshift. Maybe I should have.

5. On the house side, we were not able to use water. There were multiple leaks, so I think all plumbing will have to be redone.

6. Only the back AC was working, and strangely enough, only when the generator was on. It would not run on shore power. Don’t know why that was the case.

7. Talking about the generator, we left it on one night and we were awoken at 2a by our carbon monoxide alarm. Ouch. Good thing I brought one, since the airstream only had a smoke alarm.

8. At one point, all headlights went out while the long beam lights were on. Turning off the long beams solved the issue ... pfew.

9. I think we overinflated the back tires. Goodyear inflated them to 95 psi and the front tires to 75 psi. The tires have a max psi spec of 110. Airstream’s original manual specifies 65 psi in the back which feels awfully low. The ride in the back is pretty rough so maybe 95 is too much. Our original small tube TV pretty much disintegrated

That’s about it. Super happy with the purchase though. She looks very cool, painted in original Airstream paint colors. I’m attaching a few pictures. Happy to share more. Click image for larger version

Name:	127B225B-D422-47DA-A1F4-6833EAD115A6.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	502.5 KB
ID:	380023Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1435.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	649.8 KB
ID:	380024Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1411.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	380025
marcvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I kind of like the painted Airstream!
Old 10-04-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvl View Post
I bought a 1984 345 on eBay in late May 2020. The MH was located in Memphis, TN where I picked it up on Monday. Over the past 6 days we drove 2,300 miles, which was a great way to quickly understand the true state of the vehicle. Needless to say, not everything went perfectly but we did arrive safely home earlier today. More about that later.

The vehicle has an interesting history. It was owned by the Dometic corporation and used as a demo vehicle. I have the original driving logs that show where the vehicle has been. Very cool. Of course the vehicle is decked out with Dometic technology: fridge, ice cube maker, microwave, air conditioners, forced air heating system, central air heating system (yes, 3 different heating systems!), 7kW generator, etc

Between May and now I had the vehicle thoroughly inspected (specifically mechanically) and replaced some critical parts like all new tires, brakes, steering, front airbags, batteries, and alternator.

Back to our road trip, here are some of the things that went wrong:

1. First thing to fail was the starter solinoid. It came loose and was just hanging in the engine compartment. Luckily it didn’t hit the fan. A mechanic showed us how to bypass it with a piece of electrical wire. So we’re good.

2. Then the brakes went soft. We discovered there was no oil left because of a small leak in the master cylinder. Once we refilled it, everything went back to normal. We’re now checking braking fluid every morning before leaving and topping it up as needed, along with topping up engine oil. I noticed the engine is drinking a lot of oil, about 1 quart per 250-300 miles.

3. This morning we had a flat crank battery, so we jump started it with the house batteries. This is a bit concerning because both alternator and battery are new. Don’t know what could be causing this. I’m doing this trip with 2 friends. One was handling the jumper cables, one was turning the ignition switch, while I was shortcutting the solinoid

4. The engine was running very smoothly. Mostly at 3000 rpm, between 55 and 60 mph, and 200-210 water degree temperature. We had a few scares while climbing highway 40 to 7000 ft around Flagstaff, with temperature climbing above 220 but turning off cabin AC helped with that. I did notice we could not maintain 60mph while climbing. Our speed dropped to 35-45 mph on steep parts. I didn’t try to downshift. Maybe I should have.

5. On the house side, we were not able to use water. There were multiple leaks, so I think all plumbing will have to be redone.

6. Only the back AC was working, and strangely enough, only when the generator was on. It would not run on shore power. Don’t know why that was the case.

7. Talking about the generator, we left it on one night and we were awoken at 2a by our carbon monoxide alarm. Ouch. Good thing I brought one, since the airstream only had a smoke alarm.

8. At one point, all headlights went out while the long beam lights were on. Turning off the long beams solved the issue ... pfew.

9. I think we overinflated the back tires. Goodyear inflated them to 95 psi and the front tires to 75 psi. The tires have a max psi spec of 110. Airstream’s original manual specifies 65 psi in the back which feels awfully low. The ride in the back is pretty rough so maybe 95 is too much. Our original small tube TV pretty much disintegrated

That’s about it. Super happy with the purchase though. She looks very cool, painted in original Airstream paint colors. I’m attaching a few pictures. Happy to share more. Attachment 380023Attachment 380024Attachment 380025
1. Did you replace the rubber fuel lines? If not, do so ASAP! There are multiple documented cases of those cracking and sending a whole rig up in flames in seconds.

Also, do you have everything needed to pass smog in CA? That causes a lot of CA bound rigs to sit for years

2. Mine will blow out a quart if I put an extra in when changing, and over fill it. Then it levels off. That's an alarming amount of burning, maybe have a mechanic check the valve guides.

3. There is probably a button somewhere to do the battery jumping for you, on mine it is on the dash, some are in the glovebox I think

4. sounds like normal behavior for these rigs

5. go with PEX, pretty easy to DIY!

6. As I mentioned in the other thread, it probably came wired to only run the rear AC from the generator from the factory, that's how mine was wired. Quite a few of us retro-fit/upgrade to 50A

7. Glad you had the CO alarm! I mounted one above the bed in the bedroom

8. not sure, sounds like a bad electrical connection somewhere. Highly recommend LED upgrade, takes all the load off the system!

9. the PO of my unit kept them inflated at 100lbs and it road like 💩
At the recommendation of other forum members I switched to 70 and it rides much better

Welcome to the forum, that looks like a neat rig with some neat history! Looking forward to more pictures of it!
Old 10-04-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
Howdy! That is a cool looking rig!!!

Regarding electrical; Most of our MH have a switch to select only 1 high amp draw appliance. For example when plugged into shore power, could only run rear AC, or microwave, or trash compactor. You may check if that switch is selecting rear AC when plugged in. Ours switch located by the hood vent in the kitchen

If it helps...Our 1984 excella 270 originally had 2 air conditioners and was wired to run only one when plugged into shore power, but could run both front and rear off the 7k generator.

Possible because there are 2 transfer switches, one on the shore power feed and one for the generator feed. Depending on which power source is active, each transfer switch fed the power system differently (generator bypassed the high amp draw selector switch allowing both AC to run). You may want to dig around and see if you have 2 transfer switches, and confirm they are both functioning

What an adventure! Keep us updated
Kvsterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #5
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
almost home...onward thru the fog
Attached Images

AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:39 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Oceanside , CALIFORNIA
Welcome to the adventure marcvl. I hope to retrieve my 85 345 from the shop in Boise (Idaho) this coming weekend and drive it back to Oceanside (California). Please let us know how you navigate getting the coach smogged. I hear there are many tales of woe regarding getting the required smog components and tuning the California (versus Federal) carburetor to meet the standards. Looking forward to reading more about your coach and seeing more pictures.
RETIREDRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:25 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sunnyvale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIREDRIVER View Post
Welcome to the adventure marcvl. I hope to retrieve my 85 345 from the shop in Boise (Idaho) this coming weekend and drive it back to Oceanside (California). Please let us know how you navigate getting the coach smogged. I hear there are many tales of woe regarding getting the required smog components and tuning the California (versus Federal) carburetor to meet the standards. Looking forward to reading more about your coach and seeing more pictures.
I'm taking mine to a mechanic this weekend to do smog testing. We'll see how it goes. My plan is to get it through smog testing with the current engine (if at all possible) so I can get CA registration completed, before putting in a new engine.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sunnyvale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvsterling View Post
Howdy! That is a cool looking rig!!!

Regarding electrical; Most of our MH have a switch to select only 1 high amp draw appliance. For example when plugged into shore power, could only run rear AC, or microwave, or trash compactor. You may check if that switch is selecting rear AC when plugged in. Ours switch located by the hood vent in the kitchen

If it helps...Our 1984 excella 270 originally had 2 air conditioners and was wired to run only one when plugged into shore power, but could run both front and rear off the 7k generator.

Possible because there are 2 transfer switches, one on the shore power feed and one for the generator feed. Depending on which power source is active, each transfer switch fed the power system differently (generator bypassed the high amp draw selector switch allowing both AC to run). You may want to dig around and see if you have 2 transfer switches, and confirm they are both functioning

What an adventure! Keep us updated
Where are these transfer switches located? I did find the appliance switch (or what used to be the switch). Seems like the switch was taken out. See pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1542.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	380925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1543.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	380926  

Old 10-15-2020, 11:06 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sunnyvale , California
Here are some more pictures. The inside is in pretty good shape. I fixed all the water leaks (thanks for the PEX suggestion Rob) and replaced the toilet. I did discover (not surprisingly) that the floor is rotten in the corner between bedroom and bathroom. I wouldn't be surprised if the same were true for the kitchen area, since there were multiple leaks there, but haven't confirmed that.

I really like the original 80s interior, so I'm thinking about doing a light restoration as opposed to ripping everything out. Replace all the fabric, replace some of the appliances, and that's it. I wonder if I will be able to keep everything while still upgrading the infrastructure (new water lines, new gas lines, new 12V and 110V lines), or will I have to dismantle the interior in order to get to these infrastructure elements?

In any case, that's phase 2. Phase 1 is to fix the mechanical parts, and in particular the engine (new or rebuilt).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	49322712848_d6d1e19ee6_o.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	380927   Click image for larger version

Name:	49322720823_f6fd32f26e_o.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	380928  

Name:	49323209926_8abd91ffe8_o.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	380929   Click image for larger version

Name:	49323397187_7c5d811743_o.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	380930  

Old 10-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Good pictures, that looks like a very nice looking coach in excellent condition. I would do like you say, new fabric and appliances, leave it original. That's what I'm doing!

I know at least two of us off the top of my head have upgraded to 50 A and replaced all the plumbing without gutting everything. Probably many more. Bob Miller did a much more thurough job of the 50A upgrade on his 370 than I did on my 310

I'd leave the 12V house wiring alone, inspect the engine/chassis wiring though

Getting at some areas like the shower plumbing might require a bit of disassembly and reassembly, but if you're careful it's not as hard as it seems.

If your propane system is like mine, the only thing that needs replaced is the rubber line right next to the tank, the rest is hardlines
Old 10-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #11
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Where are these transfer switches located? I did find the appliance switch (or what used to be the switch). Seems like the switch was taken out. See pictures.

You made it home ok, congrats! Nice original coach!
Looks like someone wired all of the black wires together, not good. The transfer switches on the 345 are typically close to the 30 amp line in and the second close to the generator.

Generator transfer switch is typically boss and will only allow the 30 amp transfer switch to kick on if its not running.
AIR #13
Old 10-22-2020, 12:33 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sunnyvale , California
Big step forward. The vehicle passed CA smog test!! Based on the horror stories I read, I was expecting the worst after my first smog test failed. But my mechanic replaced the vacuum porter switch, bad vacuum hoses, adjusted the carburetor fuel ratio and idle, replaced air filter and breather, and .... boom, smog test was ok. See picture for before and after measurements.

Next step is to plan for an engine rebuild. My current thinking is to stick with a 454, but buy a remanufactured one by Jasper that is tuned/optimized for RV/towing. I'm waiting for the specs but I've heard it should give me a substantial torque boost. I'm also planning on installing a 4L80E transmission, and potentially fuel injection. I'm hoping to get this all done before Xmas so I can take her on a road trip to Santa Fe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 11.24.01 AM.png
Views:	91
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	381499  
Old 10-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Nice! The CA smog man has been the death of many classic motorhome projects

An engine and transmission swap by Christmas is a tall ask, even in a pro shop... Took the PO of my unit 4 weeks to do a basic swap, and he was living in the unit at the garage helping them keep it moving, and it wasn't the holiday season!

Curious to see what the specs on Jasper vs OEM turn out to be. My rebuilt unit is from promar, sounds like a heck of a cam in there but it still struggles to climb hills. I'm hoping EFI helps.

I just ordered a terminator x system from efisystempro, also hoping to have it installed by Christmas, I'll be posting updates here as I go. If you get the right ECU it also controls the 4L80e, so I left myself an upgrade path if I decide I need it next winter.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #14
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Big step forward. The vehicle passed CA smog test!! Based on the horror stories I read, I was expecting the worst after my first smog test failed. But my mechanic replaced the vacuum porter switch, bad vacuum hoses, adjusted the carburetor fuel ratio and idle, replaced air filter and breather, and .... boom, smog test was ok. See picture for before and after measurements.

Next step is to plan for an engine rebuild. My current thinking is to stick with a 454, but buy a remanufactured one by Jasper that is tuned/optimized for RV/towing. I'm waiting for the specs but I've heard it should give me a substantial torque boost. I'm also planning on installing a 4L80E transmission, and potentially fuel injection. I'm hoping to get this all done before Xmas so I can take her on a road trip to Santa Fe.

I had hughesperformance.com out of Phoenix built me a 4l80e. It is their part number 25-1 with a specific instruction for the transmission valve body kit to be built with towing strength. In addition the torque converter recommended for our vehicles would be a 6 bolt 25BLXTM, which is a heavy duty converter with steel billet cover and multi disc clutch for a strong lock up engagement when driving on the road in overdrive. The stall for this converter is a low stall to handle the weight of the vehicle and low end torque.
You also will need the E-Brake extension housing, which is ACD 8680912.
They are running at least 6-8 weeks on the builds, so if you go this route, you may not be able to complete it by Christmas.
AIR #13
Old 10-22-2020, 04:12 PM   #15
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
Quote:
Congratulations on getting such a nice coach. Before you make a decision, I recommend you evaluate your options thoroughly. I'm on my second 345 and on the this one I swapped out the 454 for a HT502, EFI, Banks and a 4L80E. It took two months at a good shop. All I can say is I didn't know what I was missing. The difference is night and day. It's powerful, fast and fun to drive. At 70 mph I'm at 2400 RPM with loads of power to spare. Merging, hills and mountains don't make me sweat and stress like they used to.

Anyways, just my two cents, but whatever you do I'm sure it will be a big improvement over what you have now.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sunnyvale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream3 View Post
Congratulations on getting such a nice coach. Before you make a decision, I recommend you evaluate your options thoroughly. I'm on my second 345 and on the this one I swapped out the 454 for a HT502, EFI, Banks and a 4L80E.
Yes, I've been looking at that option as well. Checking with Jasper if they have a 502 available. I'm kinda set on working with Jasper because (i) they have very good reputation and can customize any project to your needs; (ii) they give you 3 year warranty on parts + labor; (iii) my shop has years of experience in working with them.

Especially the last point is important. I know nothing about engines, so I'm relying on a competent shop with experience in doing these swaps. I trust these guys and their recommendation carries a lot of weight.

Let's see what specs I get back from Jasper. I'll post them here.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:20 PM   #17
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Yes, I've been looking at that option as well. Checking with Jasper if they have a 502 available. I'm kinda set on working with Jasper because (i) they have very good reputation and can customize any project to your needs; (ii) they give you 3 year warranty on parts + labor; (iii) my shop has years of experience in working with them......

I would verify Jaspers warranty.They only gave me 18month/100 000 on a TH475, since the vehicle was over 1 Ton.

What is the warranty on a JASPER remanufactured transmission?
Most JASPER® Remanufactured Transmission applications are covered by a 3 Year/100,000 mile (whichever occurs first) nationwide warranty – parts and labor. Ambulance, automotive off-highway use, package delivery, police, snow removal, taxi, tow truck, transit bus or any vehicle over 1 ton receive a warranty of 18 Months or 100,000 Miles, whichever occurs first. You can find a full warranty disclosure on this website.

What is the warranty on a JASPER remanufactured engine?
Most applications for JASPER® Remanufactured Engines are covered by a 3 Year/100,000 mile (whichever occurs first) nationwide warranty that – parts and labor. Ambulance, automotive off-highway use, package delivery, police, snow removal, taxi, tow truck, transit bus or any vehicle over 1 ton receive a warranty of 18 Months or 100,000 Miles, whichever occurs first. A full warranty disclosure is available on this website.
AIR #13
Old 10-22-2020, 06:35 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sunnyvale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
I would verify Jaspers warranty.They only gave me 18month/100 000 on a TH475, since the vehicle was over 1 Ton.
Ouch. Thanks for pointing this out!!
Old 10-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
All this time I thought a P-30 was a one ton, not over one ton.

"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them."
~ Margaret Thatcher ~
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:18 PM   #20
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
All this time I thought a P-30 was a one ton, not over one ton.

Jasper told me that my ~15000 # Airstream was considered to be more than a 1 ton truck and would fall under that limited warranty.
"A one-ton or 350/3500 truck is likely to be 9,900 pounds or more"
Is that why they call us P-32??
AIR #13