Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Bill, that is identical to the one I looked at!
Right down to the ground flats in the bends!
Keyair, Ya know when I was looking at the picture this a/m is first time I noticed the flat spots, so I went back outside and sure enough...they're doing intended job. I do remember hearing them scrape, once, on a very steep driveway apron. They probably end up protecting more than just the tank.

Mike, my guess is they are from the factory. If all 345's don't have them it would be well worth making some.

Guy99, When I was reading about your repeat caster damage I got to wondering if this application would remedy that??
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We have them on ours, and it's a GOOD thing, as we've used them...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Stupid questions about wheels ands tires...
Are all the wheels the same... ie, is the inner and outer dual wheels the same as the fronts, and tag?
There is no jack and lug nut wrench, should I get one or just use a service if I have a problem?
What air pressure gauge do you experts carry?
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #44
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Smile New 1984 Airstream 345 Advice

I carry a truck tire gauge which is a pencil type gauge about a foot long with a head to check both inside and outside tires. Don't remember what I paid for it, but I got it at an auto supply. As for jack, I carry 2 10 ton bottle jacks and a 3 foot breaker bar with a 12" extension and sockets to fit the lugs. i use the Good Sam Road Service to change tires rather than change them myself. Tires and wheels are too big and heavy as far as I am concerned for me to change them. That would be emergency only for me to do it.
Mike
Old 04-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I remember when we bought our coach and the dealer was showing me around; he pointed out the jack and bar and said, "you don't ever want to use this".
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I remember when we bought our coach and the dealer was showing me around; he pointed out the jack and bar and said, "you don't ever want to use this".
While I agree wholeheartedly, my unit did come with a bottle jack and lug wrench, and I have used them. I think Good Sam, or some other service, is the way to go, but it's nice to have the equipment in case of emergency.
Ron
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks fro the input.
I would like to have a jack and wrench onboard, just in case....
Now I have the AAA+ Membership with RV coverage already... should I add the Good Sam too?
Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Our experiences with Good Sam(3, so far) have been exceptional...We maintained our AAA for awhile, as the maps and guides were cheaper that way, but the wait for service was always long, and there always seemed to be some extra cost. GS found us a mechanic, serpentine belt in-hand, and a 30 minute wait time on a Sunday morning...last year, we shut-down on the highway, and while it was the next morning before the wrecker came out, it was a flatbed(don't let them tow you with a conventional wrecker-it will rip your bonnet) coming from 125 miles away, and they had a repair shop lined up 50 miles from the breakdown site...upon arrival at the repair shop, I showed my card, signed a slip, and was done...I paid for the repairs(don't get me wrong), but the tow was covered. Our toad threw a bearing while being towed, and the wrecker picked it up and took it to a repair shop...same thing...We have the emergency road service in addition to belonging to GS...well worth it, in our view.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks People!
I just booked my flight for tuesday, and I have copies of the service manuals now on my laptop!
Trying to figure out what I need, vs what I can take with one checked bag is fun!
Planning to stop at the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest in AZ as they are pretty much on route!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:30 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Update!
Flew into Wichita and the PO picked me up as planned.
The 345 was actually as described, interior is really nice and pretty much unmolested. The exterior will need some TLC, but was as I thought it would be.
Pretty much everything is working or not as the PO told me..

I took it to Dodge City and had 2 tires replaced. By mid afternoon we were fully supplied and gassed, so off we went heading for California.

I have never driven anything this big before, so it was a Babtism of fire!
We set a steady 55 to 65mph. The 54 we ran most of the route on was a little rough and loads of fast moving Big Rigs to buffet you around, as well as a nice road grooves to keep you correcting!
Pleased to say, we made it 230 miles by nightfall, and found a great RV park in Dalhart, TX.
Only problem I had was that the recently replaced water heater was leaking... I saw water dripping underneath, and traced it to a push fitting on the back of the unit. I had to pull out all the wood surrounds to get at it, but glad I spotted it now, rather than later.

Only other concern was when I first tested the brakes.... he drives side Tag wheel locked up... it did it 3 times. When the tires were fitted the Tire Tech pointed out an issue... the two wires to the pass side tag were disconnected. I reconnected them with new connectors, but both wires coming from the brake backplace are red...
I connecterd them and no lockup now, so i hope i did it right!
Can someone explain the Tag brake controlleradjustment to me?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #51
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Can someone explain the Tag brake controlleradjustment to me?
Turning the control knob clockwise increases the braking power of the tag, while counter clockwise decreases it. When you step on the brake pedal the knob should move.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Got it.
The lever moves proportionate to how hard I push the brak it seems, and below the lever I see a red LED that comes on when I brake harder..

I was picked up from the airport in a newer Majestic Class C and traveled in that for 2 hours.
After 200plus miles, both us us commented how the Airstream despite its 25 years feels better built and more "together" on the road!
I am lovin it!
Old 04-23-2010, 04:07 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
We have had continuing issues with the tag axle brakes, and as such, have opted to cut the wires and just drive slower...when the brakes overheat, it's time to take time...we can't seem to find the drums for less than $900 each, as they were an AS 'only' configuration...10" by 2", as opposed to 10" by 4"...
Old 04-23-2010, 07:20 AM   #54
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Your problem finding drums is due to the ten lug configuration. What you can do is buy a five lug drum and glue dummy acorn nuts on every other hole in the wheel. You can usually buy the five lug drum for under one hundred dollars.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 04-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Well, we are 600 miles down the road, so about half way!
Sitting here in the KOA site in Grants, NM. The temp was about 28deg last night so they advised us to pull the water pipe to stop it freezing.
We, with both were warm and toasty!
Old 04-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
hubba hubba!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk View Post
Your problem finding drums is due to the ten lug configuration. What you can do is buy a five lug drum and glue dummy acorn nuts on every other hole in the wheel. You can usually buy the five lug drum for under one hundred dollars.
The solution is simple, yet elegant...thank you
Old 04-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #57
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
The solution is simple, yet elegant...thank you
You are indeed welcome.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 04-24-2010, 06:44 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Yesterday, after leaving Grants KOA site, we headed south to the El Morro National Monument, passing over the Continental Divide at 8800'.
Engine pulled us up no problem, in fact I love that deep chested growl when the 4 barrels open wide!
Still learning the brakes tho and going steady.
I dont think its locking the Tag wheels but there is a "thump" from the rear end when the brakes are applied firmly, and from that moment you really feel the brakes working harder.
Lots funny small things I am finding out about....
We had a water leak from the recently replaced water heater... had to get access to the water fittings in the rear of it to fix that, now all good.
Last night, I noticed the water heater was not working, and also one of the overhead lamps in the aisle was out too... a search of the manual helped me find the fuses, and discovered a 20amp fuse blown, I had one spare, so we were all good again.
Opening the door to the fusebox, i find we have a central vac system!
At bedtime, I note the bedroom spots are not working, but were yesterday...
Old 04-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Lots funny small things I am finding out about....
Yep...We've had our 345 about three years now and that sentence still applies. I've always figured that's why the outside storage spot (next to entrance door) is exactly the right size for a decent size tool box to carry.

Sounds as your your trip is going well overall, keep us posted.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Arrived in Claifornia, after 1406 fun filled and pretty much drama free miles!
Mileage worked out at 7.3mpg, 7.89mpg, and 8.12mpg over the 3 fills.
Considering the Banks airfilter housing is in the storage box, and there is a Edelbrock open element pancake on, and the fan is a flexblade, solidly mounted, with no fan clutch, I thought that was good!