Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #561
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Here is my bigger issue...
When I bolt the mirror tight against the skin, the top leans in...

To get the mirror in a good position, I will need to make a spacer plate about 5/8" or 3/4"...
More like this, where I wedged a marker pen to setup the gap:

Old 10-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #562
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Agreed Mike, I think they look great, and the Vista is SO much better!

The further out I push the mirrors, particularly the passenger side with the Awning leg, the better.

I am thinking that I might make a foot extension/spacer that is 1" at the bottom and 1 3/4" at the top...
Old 10-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #563
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
The mirror base does not swivel to the mounting bracket?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #564
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
The feet on this model is a fixed/solid casting all the way to the mirror head.
I looked at drilling the mirror head, but the foot/arm would still look wrong... I am fussy about making it look right!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:36 PM   #565
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Steve, honestly when I've driven my beast, I almost wished for mirrors that were even more forward than what I have now. A 90 degree turn of my head to look at the passenger mirror is kinda freaky. Guess more time behind the wheel will make me feel better. At some point, those HUGE mirrors that stick out in front of the windshield, are attached at the roof of those monster motor homes is what I'd kinda like to make the change to.
As far as your holes that 'may' be left, how about a couple of rivets? No one will know except for those here in the Forum.....
Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #566
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Key,

I've got the same Velvacs on my moho, and am similarly annoyed by that leaning effect. But they are at least a 1000% better looking than the contraptions that you've got. There's got to be a better solution to the directional flashers than those big rectangular lights. I'll be watching to see what you come up with. I'm thinking of mounting lights within the "gill" vents above the front wheels.

Charly.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #567
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Mine swivel, but "blind spots" are there, take it or leave it. My technique,like most over the road drivers, is a "excerise" of leaning back and forth and up and down to get the mirror in proper perspective when passing.. The dreaded "blind spot" will never end.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #568
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
As I said, the Drivers side mirror being forward, when viewed from the driving seat is NOT a problem.
My Design background wont allow me to tolerate them sitting out of wack!
People have no idea how much time and effort goes into getting Mirrors leve on production vehicles!
I will need to make a "Leveling Spacer", for both sides, so I guess if I have to do it, pushing the mirrors outboard as much as possible makes sense.

What do you peeps think about painting them??
Old 11-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #569
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
Steve,
I suffer from hose reel envy...mine still work but the hose needs replaced. The PO wound it on so tight it flattened the hose and water only dribbles out. It looks like if I remove the cover box on the outlet side of the water reel, I should be able to get at the hose fitting. Correct?

Just happy that my original power mirrors still work, but I know it's only a matter of time until I follow you down the Velvac trail.

Bill
navyspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #570
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Lucky you have power mirrors!
I HATED those horrible fixed mirrors... I never seemed to be able to see properly with them!

Hose reel...
I THINK maybe you could do it without removing the whole reel, but it will depend on how tight the connector is and what tools you have to hand. My guess is you could get it by cutting off the old hose, and using a deep socket... but getting the new hose in and tightening the knurled nut... maybe impossible.

This is a view from the end that is against the Electrical reel... You will be reaching in from the left side to try to loosen the brass hose end through the gap in the inner ring... if that makes sense!

For the record... the threaded hole in the ceter of the reel is where the drain plug goes... you cannot use it unless you remove the reel from the M/H!

Here is a "Before pic" for you to see what you will be up against...

If all else fails, you will have to drop the undertray(7 x 9/16 headed bolts),4 inside the compartment and 3 along the back edge close to the gas tank.
Then 2 x 9/16 bolts holding the reel in place... It not difficult but they might be rusty, and the reel is heavy, so watch out when it comes loose, cos you are under it!
I kinda held it up with my knee, and loosened the bolts... You could put a rope around it and up thru the floor?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #571
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Steve, where are you purchasing your Captain Lee's Rust Away?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #572
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
As I said, the Drivers side mirror being forward, when viewed from the driving seat is NOT a problem.
My Design background wont allow me to tolerate them sitting out of wack!
People have no idea how much time and effort goes into getting Mirrors leve on production vehicles!
I will need to make a "Leveling Spacer", for both sides, so I guess if I have to do it, pushing the mirrors outboard as much as possible makes sense.

What do you peeps think about painting them??
Key,

On the subject of painting the mirrors, you might want to check out a product called "Mirrachrome". With a price tag of $80.00 for a 4 ounce bottle, it must be pretty good stuff. ..... Right????

I'm thinking that this could be Myrtle lynn's secret weapon.

Alsa Corp | Mirrachrome Product Info
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #573
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Dean,
This is the Distributor, so talk to them, they may have a dealer close to you...
Halon Marketing Home

Stream,
Seen and used it... great stuff, but VERY fussy to use, and get right...
I am thinking a simple metalic silver will do!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #574
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
A "Today I did..." Update..
Transmission is in and running...
Jeeps seemed to be running a little warmer than I felt was right...
So drained and flushed the Radiator and block... and put a 180deg thermostat in too...
Tires were getting tired too, and had some sun aging, so had a dig around in my storage unit....
Before...

After...

Front is sitting a little high from lifting it up... it settled to a nice stance..
8x18 Wheels with 265/60 18s..
Old 11-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #575
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
Steve,
Thanks, either way it looks like I'm in for a full day. I think I'll see if I can put in a short piece of hose on the reel first...Walmart sells a 6 inch piece that has a wire wrapped around them, to make the next change easier.

I started using General Tires, they're very inexpensive and since Continental bought them, the quality has been great. They're now actually made in the Continental plant in South Carolina. I had them on my M5 and M Roadster, and now on my son's Cooper S...great traction and handling, and they score high on Tire Rack's testing.

Bill
navyspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #576
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Looking for Advice

I have been following this thread from the beginning. Having restored a "78" Ambassador, and nearly finished, I'm looking for a new project. I have come across an "83" 454 310 that has been sitting for about 3 years...driven occasionally. Body is in excellent condition, no spedo, issues with propane tank, on it's second engine...that's what I know at this point. I'm not at all intimidated with the "Airstream" portion of a project like this...but I'm not a mechanic. I'm turning to the experts on this thread for some advice. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #577
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
I have been following this thread from the beginning. Having restored a "78" Ambassador, and nearly finished, I'm looking for a new project. I have come across an "83" 454 310 that has been sitting for about 3 years...driven occasionally. Body is in excellent condition, no spedo, issues with propane tank, on it's second engine...that's what I know at this point. I'm not at all intimidated with the "Airstream" portion of a project like this...but I'm not a mechanic. I'm turning to the experts on this thread for some advice. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Bob
Those 454s had a bad reputation, I believe mostly because of the manifold design and the associated heat in the compartment melting things. "You could cook dinner in five minutes" is the old joke. Somewhere on this forum, I remember someone making new headers that helped the breathing. Unless there's paperwork that comes with the coach, get set to replace virtually everything. Not to be negative, just realistic, I've done it, a couple of times.
The plus side, if the body is in good shape, is you've got a Classic, and you belong to a very small group of nut cases that love these old dears! Got any pics? I'd be glad to look at the coach if it's in Arizona. Keep in touch.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #578
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Hi Bob,
Thanks for rolling along with my ramblings!
Funny that this thread is so busy with lurkers!
A 310 eh?
Bodywork is the tricky bit... all else is replaceable... if not cheaply!
Either start a fresh thread, and get everyones advice, or PM me..
Eager to help, as I am sure others will be!!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #579
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Mike beat me to it!
Yes, the 454 has its weaknesses, but most of them are lack of mainanence related... but thats any engine.
Header make a huge difference to getting the heat out, but I suspect that most of the overheating issues are related to the sheer weight of the bigger Motorhomes, coupled with that backset radiator/airflow, and a smaller capacity radiator than it really needs.
Add the load from the hard worked transmission into the mix, and the overheat condition spins up quickly.
The fan clutch is so critical to the whole cooling issue, but getting the heat out from engine and transmission is my mission!
My plan is to go with a universal Aluminum radiator, HD fan cluch with the correct 7 blade fan(or twin big electric fans), and large, seperate Oil and trans coolers.
My 454 Suburban weighs 6000lb and has the same cooling system as the motorhome... same radiator size, fan system etc... that seems wrong to me!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #580
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
My 454 Suburban weighs 6000lb and has the same cooling system as the motorhome... same radiator size, fan system etc... that seems wrong to me!
True story. Ours weighs in at 15,000 lbs, not to mention all the crap (oops, important stuff) my wife carries around.