Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2019, 09:14 PM   #2221
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post

You’re really going to like this fan. We installed one (older model) three years ago... best RV vent fan we’ve ever had!

Just wish AS would use them instead of Fantastic.
Silverpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #2222
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Just one fan? Don't you have two?

If you want two, (one pulling air in, and pulling air out), mounting a fan in the bedroom area is easy, and the wiring for it is already there, (at least it was for my 310).

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #2223
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Good stuff Brad!
My gut tells me to buy 2 and install one behind each tail lamp, as the idea of fishing wires from one lamp to the next to save $20, does not appeal!
Ok, I've been thinking about this for a few days and I don't think using two will work. I think the reason the module can provide a separate brake light wire is because when the brake pedal is depressed both left and right signal wires are energized. If a turn signal is energized then one of the two wires starts flashing on and off. I think what the module does is senses that one of the two wires is still on (no blink) so it sends that signal to the new stop signal. If only one wire is flashing and the other is off then the module would just send the flashing signal.

I have one of the modules in hand and will test that theory in the next day or two. One way or another we'll know if you can use two or not soon

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #2224
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
1984 Airstream 345 owner (Newbie) need advice!

Yes, two fans Tony.
Not sure how the front one is yet. It works for sure, and I know I want two the same, but it might be a month or more before I get down that far to pull it off to paint the roof. Might have a rear AC to replace before that day, so trying to spread the costs somewhat!
Good stuff Brad, will be watching, but what about when the hazards are on?

Oh, back to the fan fitment for a sec.
on the leading edge of the fan, it’s closer to the rib, so the outer skin is pretty stiff. However, on the trailing edge there is no support, and floppy. I have doubts it is strong enough to even hold up to drill a pilot for a screw, let alone seal properly against the fan flange. There is also multiple screw holes all around the opening. On one side, there was a 1” strip of aluminum sheet that had obviously been used as a backer.
Anyone found a good solution to stiffening the flange to enhance sealing?
Old 03-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #2225
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Yes, two fans Tony.
Not sure how the front one is yet. It works for sure, and I know I want two the same, but it might be a month or more before I get down that far to pull it off to paint the roof. Might have a rear AC to replace before that day, so trying to spread the costs somewhat!
Good stuff Brad, will be watching, but what about when the hazards are on?

Oh, back to the fan fitment for a sec.
on the leading edge of the fan, it’s closer to the rib, so the outer skin is pretty stiff. However, on the trailing edge there is no support, and floppy. I have doubts it is strong enough to even hold up to drill a pilot for a screw, let alone seal properly against the fan flange. There is also multiple screw holes all around the opening. On one side, there was a 1” strip of aluminum sheet that had obviously been used as a backer.
Anyone found a good solution to stiffening the flange to enhance sealing?
I think there might be two ways of looking at that. I didn't use any backer to stiffen the aluminum under the flange and haven't had any problems with leakage.....it's been in for several years. The flange is perfectly flat right, and even though you're installing it on the flattest part of the roof there is still a slight curve in the aluminum there. From my reading, one of the most common problems with the exhaust fans is the flange cracking over time. So I chose to lay down a fairly thick bead of caulk under the flange, maybe 5/16 or a bit thicker and let the aluminum conform to the flange rather the opposite. Then on the leading edge I was careful not to over tighten the screws on the outer corners. But I made sure the bead of caulk was thick enough to still squeeze some to get a good seal. It's worked well so far. If you go back and search for threads about those vent fans leaking you'll find a good deal of them mention the cracked flange.

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #2226
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Hey Steve, I did the roof of my ATV trailer 6 yrs ago and my tool truck 3 yrs ago with Henry's. Both have held up very well. At the ranch we go from 20 degree winters to 110 degree summers. I have actually put my hand on the painted roof of the ATV trailer in the summer and it is cool enough to leave my hand there. It is a rough looking finish and yes it does get dirty. The attached pic is from a few months ago. I've been wanting to put Henry's on the MH roof since I did my trailer but I think the roof is not clean enough. The roof was painted with silver colored paint in the past. Some has flaked off and some is still there. How clean was your roof before you did yours? Do you think the roof has to be down to clean aluminum for Henry's to stick?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	335376  
Old 03-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #2227
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Hi Dean,
I started a thread up in the Trailer, Exterior, Roof section that has opinions flowing, might be worth a read. Some people are stuck on the Henry’s Solarflex silicon product.... but I shied away from it, rightly or wrongly due to the silicon in Airstream saga. Plus Enviro white is an elastomeric and has a 12 year warranty.
The Enviro white seems like it needs no crazy prep, and no primer.
My roof, as per the pics, was clean... ish, weathered, but no clearcoat or paint visible. I went over it with my Eastwood SCT, which is a drum sanding tool, and a Woven drum that’s like scotch pad. I was down to bright aluminum pretty quick. I used a SS wire brush in the detail areas, and that worked well and quick too. I’ve been told not to use a normal steel wire brush on Aluminum as it can embed steel dust, which contaminated the surface and u can get rust! So SS only.
I think as long as the paint is well stuck it should be fine. If not, SS brush the loose bits.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #2228
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I am not sure what on earth is going on, but I have ordered a bunch of Solar Panel kits this week.

I have to share...

Maybe a scam, but with Paypal Protection, and added Squaretrade 2 year warranty for $10...
Im just interested in the panels.... the rest I will see.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1500w-Flexi...53.m2749.l2649
Old 03-12-2019, 10:29 PM   #2229
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
This gem arrived today.
NIB NOS Jabsco 5” Spot/flood light, with remote control unit, cable, connectors and 25’ extension cable.

Name:	57411510310__9105F09F-7769-41EB-BBEC-3912BA7277F9.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	549.2 KB
ID:	335528
Old 03-12-2019, 11:59 PM   #2230
4 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Kansas city , Missouri
Nice! You by any chance have the old remote panel for sale if it looks like the one I am looking for?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0312.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	335529
Kreimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:08 AM   #2231
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
My 345 never had a spotlight on the roof as far as I can tell. I have 3 other lights I have collected over the years, and one other remote, but it is not the same as yours. The other remote looks like the one I just got, but I think it’s cast aluminum, as it’s like 3x the weight!
The only thing I don’t like about my new purchase is it’s the short base version.
Here is the new one with the short base next to a used one that has the tall base.
The extra height is clearly visible, and I assume extrapolates into better down angle to see things closer to the MH

Name:	IMG_9551.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	531.9 KB
ID:	335530

I might investigate swapping the bases.
Seriously thinking about putting one on the rear of the MH with the control in the bedroom. You never know where you might be when you need to light someone or something up!
Magnet18 and I were back and forth all day discussing the LED conversion options. We might have a plan that gives Spot and flood, similar light output, and longer life than the $80 incandescent stock bulbs.

Took a break from hammering aluminum to start building a prototype Solar Hot Water Heater Panel. I started a thread up in the plumbing, Hot water section.
A 2’ x 3’ piece of copper sheet and 50’ of 1/4” OD copper pipe will be the basis for the test panel.
Layout of pipe routing.

Name:	IMG_9555.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	511.1 KB
ID:	335531

Rough placement of piping.

Name:	IMG_9557.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	656.3 KB
ID:	335532

Close, but no cigar. I need about 4’ more pipe!
Ends on the upper on left radius of the return

Name:	IMG_9558.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	574.6 KB
ID:	335533

I’ve seen panels, both smaller, and less surface area that this one produce 150f water easily. The idea is to use a combo of Solar electric, and This panel to cover all my hot water needs eventually.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #2232
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Ive not seen that style of controller before Kreimer.
This is the style I have 2x of... Spendy!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jabsco-4367...EAAOSwJRZafnTI

Is it just the direction knob thats missing?
I think they maybe available separately?

This is the closest one I found in a search.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jabsco-Xyle...AAAOSwmgJY3sro
Old 03-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #2233
4 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Kansas city , Missouri
The switches in the back of the panel got brittle and have almost disintegrated. I probably just need to get a whole new switch. I could probably figure out how to wire to a new style if I had to. I’ll keep lookin! I like the lights you got. Much better looking than the original that is on ours.
Kreimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #2234
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Ok.
They are pretty deep, so make sure you have clearance(Clarence, LOL).
I can easily give you a size for the one I have, as its to hand, but its maybe 3".

I've seen your work, and fabricating a sheet aluminum plate, to let the switch into would be cake.
Let me know if you need anything!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:54 PM   #2235
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
First...
I apologize for posting the Solar Panel deal on EBay.
If it seems to good to be true, it normally is, was the truth.
Got refunded today.
Oh well, I was hopeful.
But today was Airstream day, and what a day it was!
Installed the Maxxfan. Not 100% happy with my efforts today. It fitted ok, it works, but there is a ripple in the roof, behind the fan, caused by a flat fan surround and a curved roof. It’s on, it’s sealed, but I might revisit it later.

Name:	IMG_9598.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	335807Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9599.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	335808Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9600.JPG
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	335809

Very pleased with the look, and function. Love the fact I can leave it up to let the Motorhome breath!
I think there is another in my near future for the front!
The 10 speed fan is near silent on its lowest setting and pulls 0.5amps in that mode, and 2.7a at warp 10!
How do I know this?
Yup, I finally fitted my Trimetric 2025rv Battery Monitor after about 4 years in its box!

Name:	IMG_9609.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	367.3 KB
ID:	335810Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9606.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	379.8 KB
ID:	335811

Also confirmed that my little 32w Solar Panel was happily pumping between 1.5 and 1.7 amps into the restored house batteries.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:34 PM   #2236
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
That done, today was warmer than my last day there, so I took a step back to look at the results of the roof paint project.
First thing I had noticed was that the white painted section was cool to the touch...
The IR thermometer says... 87.8f.

Name:	IMG_9586.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	335812

On the uncoated part of the roof, which is tricky to read, I got 98f.

Name:	IMG_9587.JPG
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	335813

A little later, I was inside the bedroom, finishing the wiring for the new vent, and took another reading.
Ceiling under white painted section.
91f.

Name:	IMG_9589.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	335814

And off to the side...
105f.

Name:	IMG_9590.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	335815

Can’t argue with that!
Old 03-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #2237
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
A few years back we had a slab leak in the house. The restoration involved replacing the downstairs vinyl plank flooring. I salvaged the good pieces to maybe use in the Airstream.
I compared the flooring to the cream and brown leather I am planning to use, and was pleased with the color contrast, and I think it works.

Name:	IMG_9581.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	335822

So, I took some pieces over to see how it looked with the cabinetry. Not ideal, but I will need to refinish it, so it could go a shade darker anyway.
I tested in the entrance, ripping up some of the linoleum and also the 1/4” ply beneath it. Found wet flooring below that, which I need to address.

Name:	IMG_9618.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	534.4 KB
ID:	335823

Like it.
Due to constraints of the pieces I have(lots of shorter pieces), I think I’m going with the orientation shown, which is 90deg to what most do.
The step area will be the diamond plate shown, but the riser will be the plank. If I don’t like it, I can pull it out as it will be a drop in piece.

One thing I did spot, that concerned me, and I hadn’t noticed before, was the impact of the Reflectex window covers I have been using. In the bedroom rear window, it had sagged a little and the I think had formed a little parabolic mirror.
Vinyl wall covering has been hurt!

Name:	IMG_9610.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	335824
I think I need to deal with the sagging before summer comes.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:51 AM   #2238
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Hey Steve, be careful when you get to wrapping your step riser. When I did mine I found that there isn't much clearance between the screen door and the front face of the front corners. I needed to plane down my walnut material to about 1/2" so there was clearance when door is shut. Just a heads up.

Mike
Old 03-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #2239
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois

Name:	IMG_2210.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	335825
Old 03-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #2240
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Gorgeous!
Go ya, that is on my radar now.

The flooring I am using, is pretty thin... under 1/4", Can't beat the price tho!

Also, your step, and configuration looks different.

The step is shallower, than mine and comes right to the door, where as mine is offset back from the door.