Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

I just drove my 1984 AS 310 from Amarillo to Lubbock to start the refurbish on this unit. I'll need some advice from some of you guys that have been around the block doing refurbs. In 1981 I updated a 1963 International 26 footer and learned a lot, but a trailer is simple compared to a motorhome. Since 1969, this is # 13 in my escuderia of RV's and may be my last. I have already pulled the furnace and the refrigerator out. Many rusty compartments, much neglect on my 310 will no doubt keep me busy for a while. I will post pics and updates on the project as we go.
Mike
kmpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpro View Post
I just drove my 1984 AS 310 from Amarillo to Lubbock to start the refurbish on this unit. I'll need some advice from some of you guys that have been around the block doing refurbs. In 1981 I updated a 1963 International 26 footer and learned a lot, but a trailer is simple compared to a motorhome. Since 1969, this is # 13 in my escuderia of RV's and may be my last. I have already pulled the furnace and the refrigerator out. Many rusty compartments, much neglect on my 310 will no doubt keep me busy for a while. I will post pics and updates on the project as we go.
Mike
Mike.

The first order of business when starting a dedicated rehab, is to make sure the coach is water tight.

Unless all the exterior gaskets have been replaced, they ar all past due, especially the sewer vent pipe covers, which only last 2 to 3 years.

Then you can continue with the rehab, as your time and budget permit.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
College Station , Texas
Mike, I will be in Lubbock in about 3 weeks with my "ongoing" refurbished 84 310 and will come see you if you like.

The key to a good refurbish is simply to have plenty of money!

What is your plan with the furnace?

PD
pdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
PD I hear you on the plenty of money. I have already pulled the furnace and the refrigerator for replacement. I don't want to take a chance on carbon monoxide from a 25 yr old furnace that the board is up in smoke anyway. The refer was inop on gas or electricity and looked like crap inside, so it went to be a large paperweight. Ordered these from Palomino and should have them in next week. Be sure and come by when you are in Lubbock, as my wife and I would like to see your coach. We have decided to bring our 310 up to a level of usability first and forget the restoration to original for a while. We had the top of the line in our 40' diesel Pusher we just sold.
Mike
Old 02-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
We have decided to bring our 310 up to a level of usability first and forget the restoration to original for a while.
Mike
Mike,

This is the same approach we've been taking on our 310. We've been doing the safety things first like steering, suspension, brakes and now its the battery box. After that we'll move to the interior for a freshening.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Does anyone know whether the front privacy curtain on the windsheild is available from AS only or is it available from aftermarket?
Mike
Old 02-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Andy I appreciate your advice on the D&P front windows and W/Ss. I will order those from Inland Monday.
Mike
Old 02-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Does anyone know whether the front privacy curtain on the windsheild is available from AS only or is it available from aftermarket?
Mike
Last I knew, Airstream still had that drape available.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Mike
Mike,

There are various places to buy the little plastic slides. We had our curtains made by a forum member. If you're interested in going that route I can ask my wife who made ours. We're quite pleased with the quality of the curtains and we were able to design them to our needs.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 02-15-2010, 05:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
It would be nice to see photos of where you started..... just for the record.

I think I purchased the T track from Andy for the front drape. I purchased the actual curtain from Camping World and stitched on the sliding tabs. It's been A.O.K. for about 4 years of almost daily / nightly work.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
on the road , CA and OR this summer!
ohh do take lots of pictures and post them here. I wish i had taken pics of the whole transformation. Do you plan on keeping everything original, or updating the whole interior as i have.
i noticed that the original AS factory white linen-y drapes were not helping to keep the sun out and parked in full sun for just one month i noticed a new crack on the dash plastic
go to a local tailor or anyone handy with a sewing machine and get some heavy lined curtains
i noticed some nicer sewing shops have small metal sew on holders that fit on AS curtian track...much better than those flimsy plastic ones AS uses

MaryContrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
310 Refurbish to former Glory

Well, weather was warm enough to get under the Silver Queen today. I wish I had not done that. FO apparently thought tailpipes and mufflers should be suspended by bailing wire rather than rubber insulated hangers. P-trap under shower is history as well. Oil leak on engine, source not yet determined. Leaks in exhaust manifolds and mufflers. The beat goes on. I will probably need a dump truck of money to fix all the woes, but I knew it wasn't perfect when I bought it. I figure a set of headers and pipes leading to a free flowing muffler and a tailpipe with decent hangers would be a good start.
It's going to take some time this time to get the Silver Queen off her knees.
Mike

PS Pics to come
Old 02-16-2010, 04:15 AM   #13
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Angry 1984 310 Refurbishto former Glory

Mary,
As soon as I can, I will post pics of the Silver Queen. There is so much to do it is hard to know where to start. Our original thought was to restore the old girl completely, but now that's been revised to get her back in shape to be comfortable and start enjoying the use of her ASAP! We have RVd since 1969, so we know that traveling and using a motorhome is more fun than working on it. This coach just needs lots of TLC to be usable. The FO did not repair many things properly, consequently I will have to redo his poor fixes as well as enact solid repairs to problems. I hate "fixit" guys that half do repairs when with little more effort it could be done right.

Mike
Old 02-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #14
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Red face 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Much headway on the Silver Queen today. After a half day chasing parts the Original Thetford Galaxy is back in operation. Replaced the mechanism on it and it works like a champ! Oil leak up front found to be cooler lines from transmission, so the fix there may not be as difficult as I once thought. Ordered D&P window seals and weatherstrips along with vent screens and gaskets from Inland RV. Progress is slow at best it seems.

Mike
Old 02-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Mike,

Sounds like you're making progress. I'm guessing its a little warmer where you are that where we are . Our 310 & the Argosy both still have ice and snow on them so its going to be a while before I have the opportunity to work on either.

I know what you mean about someone fixin it compared to actually repairing it. Both of ours have had those issues, the Argosy more so than the 310. Probably cause its 10 years older.

Brad
Old 02-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #16
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Wink 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Brad:
I had some more warm weather today and made some real headway. Rear airbag system checked out, tightened some fittings and viola! leaks fixed. Still got a prob with water inside the storage drawer under the refer. Refer is not on, and icemaker is off too. Still I have water in the storage drawer on the curbside. Any suggestions? Got all the batteries serviced, cables and posts cleaned coated with dielectric grease and all grounds cleaned and tightened. Pulled the doghouse and inspected engine compartment. Yep Mr. Fixit had been there too. Some messes to clean up there. Tomorrow I will tighten all the belts and top off PS fluid. On the horizon is LOF for the engine with new 2 quart filter from Baldwin. Change AT fluid and filter and change Differential Oil. Most important flush complete Brake system and install new DOT3 brake fluid. Install Brake Gard. Finally, change antifreeze coolant. All this and I haven't started on appearance yet. Gonna get me a part-time job at nite holding up 7-11 stores to have enough bucks to keep the Silver Queen going.

Mike
Old 02-18-2010, 05:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Brad:
I had some more warm weather today and made some real headway. Rear airbag system checked out, tightened some fittings and viola! leaks fixed. Still got a prob with water inside the storage drawer under the refer. Refer is not on, and icemaker is off too. Still I have water in the storage drawer on the curbside. Any suggestions?
I'm assuming you haven't had any rain lately so it sounds like the only options are water pipes. Is water hooked to your coach right now? If so you might disconnect for a while and make sure the water goes away. If it does at least you know the cause. To my knowledge there is only one water line going to that side of the coach and its for the ice maker. Sounds like you're going to have to track it down and see whats wrong with it.

Quote:
Tomorrow I will tighten all the belts and top off PS fluid.
Just a suggestion, I started packing along spare power steering hoses. The motorhome version is not always available at the local auto parts store. They are not expensive and take up very little space so the piece of mind is worth it to me. I'm fairly certain if I absolutely had to I could probably replace it along side the road although I wouldn't really wan to.

Quote:
Install Brake Gard.
What is Brake Gard?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Most important flush complete Brake system and install new DOT3 brake fluid. Install Brake Gard. ...

Mike
Mike, I wonder if you want to consider DOT4 brake fluid. My understanding is that DOT4 has a higher boiling point than DOT3 but unlike DOT5 does not require that you replace all rubber parts.

Like Brad, I'd love to know about 'Brake Gard'.

Guy

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #19
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Brad:
I became familiar with Brake Gard several years ago with a 33 foot Southwind on an extended P-30 chassis. BG claim is to cut down stopping distance from 60 MPH stop without BG, 305 feet. With BG 195 feet if memory serves me right. I installed one on and I couldn't believe the difference. Less pedal pressure, better stopping, more like ABS brakes. At the time, ABS brakes were unheard of. In any case, much better brakes on a P-30 than I had ever experienced. Later on installed BG on a Ford chassis with even more dramatic results. Used the Brake Gard on cars and MO/Hos with hydraulic brakes since. Even improved the brakes on my Honda Accord. Never leave home without it.
No water in or on coach pipes since no heat so far. That's what has me puzzled.

Mike
Old 02-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #20
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Question 1984 310 Refurbish to former Glory

Update on the day today. Still looking for the leak that fills curbside storage drawer with water. No water in M/H so it' s not in the on board water. Could see no evidence of where it came from, so I removed the drawer and decided to take off the vinyl trim to check it out. Looks suspicious, but still looking.
Frige and furnace came in on the motor freight, so I deferred to putting in the furnace instead of working on the water leak. Takes forever to get the furnace put back in when you don't have the tools you are used too. I'll keep on hacking away till I get it done. Didn't get the belts tightened due to parts chasing bulbs and sealant etc. Time consuming is what you call parts chasing in the real world. Hope for a better day tomorrow.

Mike