Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
1983 310 Classic Backup Lights

Trying to find out if the 310 backup lights work off the neutral/reverse switch that is mounted on the steering column. Wires are connected to the neutral switch but I don't have any wires running to the prongs for the backup. Since it has the Cummins/Allison transmission it doesn't have a reverse module where it calls for on the tranny so I assume that the original wiring is still in use. Have no clue what wire colors run to the switch. I have many unplugged wires under my darling dash. Found all the wires when I got the speedo and tach moved down to the dash cluster from the top of the dash where the old ones were that was installed when the Cummins was put in, all electrical hookup on both no trans cable to odometer. Any help will be appreciated.
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:10 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
I don't know if this is any help to you, concerning your backup lights. But, on my 325 , on the drivers side (left) my marker light that is half way down the side, for some reason, comes on when I put it in reverse. Weird I have LED tail lights, and my backup lights are in my bumper. Still haven't gotten them to work, I'm thinking maybe that side marker light was wired that way to let the driver know he's in reverse. I haven't looked into it future, but that wire may be the lead from the steering wiring.
Does anybody else have this thing on the side marker light? DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #3
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I have the Allison T1000 and the natural/backup switch is on the transmission over the shiftier shaft. But then mine isn't exactly original equipment.

1986 345
1996 Cummins

2008 Allison
I just can't leave anything along.
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote