Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
grosse pointe park , Michigan
1982 280 Leaks when it Rains

and the water shows up on the floor/carpet just behind the drive/passenger seating area without any trace of how it got there. This happens when stationary. Any Ideas?

thanks. kevin
k_rasmussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
I fought a small leak on my '72 Overlander for almost two years above the vista view window. My Sovereign had a similar leak in another place.

The obvious place to look is around any vents, antennas, etc., especially on horizontal surfaces (where it tends to pool up). Loose rivets (which are hard to detect) can be a real pain to track down.

I recently sealed the roof with 2 coats of Kool Seal white elastomaric (sp?) paint over a coat of primer and I have not seen another leak since. I never did get around to it before I sold the Overlander, but if I had it to do over again, it'd be the first thing I'd do. It was not expensive ($30-$35) and I used a roller with an extension handle after I masked off the edges.

Of course you should also check around your windows (gaskets, etc.).
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:22 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
both sides

evin, with the statement of it being wet on both sides, you have a very good hint the leak position will be from side to side instead of a small spot. I would first look at the larger holes in my roof. The A/C is the first suspect. A new seal can be had for less than $20. The replacement is the hard part. What about a skylight? The antenna is a possibility. The seam a cross the top is a very large possibility. Look for anything that would be from one side to the other that would allow water to run to both sides at the same time.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_rasmussen
and the water shows up on the floor/carpet just behind the drive/passenger seating area without any trace of how it got there. This happens when stationary. Any Ideas?

thanks. kevin
Check your window seals, In heavy rain, I get a bit of seapage in behing the driver seat...
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:12 AM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Also check any roof intructions, horns, spotlight, antenna....most likely it's your sliding windows.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I had the exact same problem and tracked down the cause to the side window seals and clogged weep holes. The water runs down your side panels directly under the sliding windows and under the carpet on the walls, settling behind the seats. If you remove your side panels you will see the trail. Easy to fix, just replace the window seals ans clean out the weep holes which you have to do when repalcing the window seals. There are several good threads here on how to do this.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
By the way welcome to the forum, it is always great to have another 280 in the group.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I had the exact same problem and tracked down the cause to the side window seals and clogged weep holes. The water runs down your side panels directly under the sliding windows and under the carpet on the walls, settling behind the seats. If you remove your side panels you will see the trail. Easy to fix, just replace the window seals ans clean out the weep holes which you have to do when repalcing the window seals. There are several good threads here on how to do this.
That's exactly what I found... Bugger ain't it! (all the pines around me)
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 02:50 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Kevin,

Get the hose out (if the temps are above freezing) and start to spray around the roof and windows. Have someone inside the coach to see if he can watch it drip. If you are by yourself, spread a sheet over the chairs and couch, etc. and see if it gets wet when you spray the roof. If you have it dried out, put paper towls on the floor and see which order they get wet in and where. This will point to a direction. If you are a little out of level and the water runs from one side to the other, you at least know which side the problem is on. Spray the windows and see if water gets in. If there, clean out the weep holes or if the channel is really rusted and worn out (very typical of an 82), follow the thread on how to replace and go for it. This is not something you want to let go as water is the killer of motor homes and houses.

My problem turned out to be one of the rivets on the "S" shaped piece of trim on the outside on drivers side where the strips are located (between the windows and the ground). There is also one on the curb side as well. To find out where water was coming from on my 82, 28', I removed removed couch and drilled a few inspection holes in the inner skin (where it would not show) until I finally found it.

You might get lucky and find it in a few minutes, or it could take hours like it did me. Regardless, good luck with it.

Steve
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
As a former (and recent) 280 owner, I would concur on the weep hole and window seal. Sounds like from where the water ends up that is likely.
The other thing to check is windshield seals, and the side windows also. Water tends to travel a bit when it gets inside you walls.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_rasmussen

thanks. kevin
I had a similar leak on my 345. Check your windshield seals on the top. I put some sealent around the gasket and it resolved most of my leaks. It could also be your AC gaskets. Since the interior ceiling is aluminum, the leak can travel and show up in wierd places.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote