Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
McPlaidpiper

1982 28' Airstream 280
Colleyville , Texas
1982 28' Diesel MH

Hello:
I just purchased a 1982 diesel AS MH, with 37,000 miles (whoo whoo; been looking for about 3-4 yrs and finally found one) Miles are reflected on the odometer-and seem to be correct.

I curently have it in the shop for a general go-over for the things I can't do. One issue came up almost immediately...it won't start and I believe its the battery(s) which the PO stated he thought one or more may have weak cells; I'm not sure what type of replacemenet batteries I should buy. Does anyone know if all three batteries should be marine deep cell, or just the house batteries, and if not, which one is for the engine, and which ones are for the house? I've been looking at the COSTCO marine batteries @ about $150 each (ouch!) with sprial cells & 850 Cold Crank Amps. I would like to get the batteries & deliver them to the repair shop by Monday. Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Dale
mcplaidpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Congratulations on your new rig.

If your rig is like my gasser you will have one Chassis/Starting battery and two Coach/House batteries. You need a regular starting type battery for the chassis. As to house batteries, do a search and you can read as much as you want about differing opinions.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
McPlaidpiper

1982 28' Airstream 280
Colleyville , Texas
1982 28' Diesel

Thanks for the response. But looking in the owners manuals they mention that for the diesel when starting, all batteries are linked together, and after the engine is started they are separated again for the house/generator, etc from the chassie battery.

I am still not sure what type batteries I need (e.g. all three marine or 2 marine and one regular with a higher CCA?). The issue is also all batteries are tied together with the wing nut and flat washer type connector...not the normal post or side post connections.
Anyone have any experience with the diesel, or have any ideas?

Thanks!
Dale
Old 04-06-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Well, you don't want to use a 'starting' type battery for the house batteries as this type of battery doesn't take well to being discharged and the charged frequently. Deep cycle batteries are designed for this. BUT deep cycle batteries are not as good at supplying very high amperage for short bursts. So I think you need a 'starting' type battery and two deep cycle batteries.

Here is one of many threads on battery selection: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ery-39186.html

Also, if you are going to be spending money on new batteries you may want to look at the threads on three stage converters/charges. The converters originally supplied with these motorhomes was a single stage charger called a Univolt. They can boil batteries if you leave the rig plugged in for long periods.

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 04-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
McPlaidpiper

1982 28' Airstream 280
Colleyville , Texas
Thanks for the response. Good info. on the link.

In this MH, the three batteries are located together & by the door--under the floor. I agree it best to purchase a battery designed to crank the engine and two deep cell/marine for the house, generator, etc. Do you/anyone else know in which position to place the battery to crank the engine--or does it matter where its placed? They are all linked together in a row/sequenced...
Thanks for any help!!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
It is true that on starting a switch which we used to call a (sireies paralel switch) on semis, combines all the batteries for starting. You might want to check the switch.
I have one engine battery, a regular battery, and two deep discharge coach batteries. I also found that a common problem is the ground strap that grounds the battery compartment to the frame. Make sure that it is bright and shiney where it connects.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcplaidpiper
Do you/anyone else know in which position to place the battery to crank the engine--or does it matter where its placed? They are all linked together in a row/sequenced...
Thanks for any help!!
On mine the rear most battery is the engine battery. Check your wiring diagram.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Checking my wiring diagram would not have done me any good since one or more POs had made a few modifications I suggest that you trace the wiring to verify.

If they are all wired together (not via a relay) I don't think that is stock.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
McPlaidpiper

1982 28' Airstream 280
Colleyville , Texas
I believe it is wired through the relay (located under the front hood). But it appears each battery is connected serially together...not a separate wire running to the relay. Is this original? I will check the wiring diagram, I didn't think to do that, or that it would include the battery diagram.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
The two coach batteries are wired together and the chasis battery joins them at a switch on the back of the battery tray.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 04-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #11
McPlaidpiper

1982 28' Airstream 280
Colleyville , Texas
Hey, thanks for the info. I will look for that and let you know what I find.

Thanks again!!
Old 05-04-2008, 07:46 AM   #12
McPlaidpiper

1982 28' Airstream 280
Colleyville , Texas
1982 28' Classic Diesel

Hello:
Well I visited Jinny yesterday at the mechanics shop and found the drivers seat back horizontal...that was something new. Looking closely, I discovered the cable leading to the seatback recline lever on the right side of the drivers seat disconnected. Funny, I did not find any 'loose parts' on the floor. My question to the forum: has anyone else experienced this? Could I only be missing a nut and washer (and can put this back together), or could the cable be broken? I did put things back together as best I could (w/o tools and in low light), but it didn't appear to work. If the cable is broken (if there is an inner cable-which there appears to be), is there any way to replace this item (is there still a source for these kind of driver seat parts?), or should I just go ahead and replace the captains chairs (and would replacement be seen as a big negative should I sell Jinney some time in the future?) I would prefer the keep things looking as close to original as possible, but those seats are NOT just real comfortable (had thought of recovering before this happened). Has anyone encountered this type issue...any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!!

BTW, I am very glad to have such a great resource for working on this beauty. We looked long and hard for our MH and really like what we found! The information on this website is absolutely fantastic!! Thanks for any help!!
Old 05-04-2008, 08:30 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
Replacing the drivers seat is an upgrade. Getting a great seat will make the driver's life behind the wheel much better. You can save the original seat and have it on hand for a new owner to do with as they please. Right now it is all about YOU!
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
McPlaidpiper

1982 28' Airstream 280
Colleyville , Texas
Do you have any recommendations for a seat replacement (e.g. manufacturer?) And would you buy the captain's chairs with the build-in seatbelts...or is that too much of a hassle to reinforce the floors (as recommended) for that type chair?
Old 05-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
CUMMING , GA
seats

I had new flexsteels installed which were what was in it originally. pricey but nice. I ordered marine seats from glastop in boynton beach. good guys. they're actually class c seats. today's class a's are a bit too large or my 345.
wpapke is offline   Reply With Quote