Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

nanaimo , British Columbia
1980 Excella Rear Panels

Hi everyone, I recently acquired 1980 Airstream Excella 28' Motorhome.

Its an insurance write off due to the damage on the rear panels. My original thought was to just pound out the dents and maybe bondo and paint the panels to pass inspection and get it back on the road. The idea being that I would eventually find some panels while traveling in the states somewhere.

In the process of taking apart the rear bathroom to get at the dents and ribs from the inside I really don't want to have to disassemble the entire thing again once new panels are found and would like to find some used or even new panels to repair what I have.

Is anyone familiar as to whether or not trailer panels will work or do they have to be from a motorhome.

Also, any leads on a parts motorhome would be great.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
mattpalmeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Hi Matt and welcome to the forums. Nice MOHO! I'm not sure if trailer panels would work or not. They look almost exactly the same to me. Airstream still stamps these panels for trailers at least. They do not use the original metal as used in the '70s. You can get them from AS or another Airstream parts supplier like Out of Doors Mart. You may want to check for RV scrap yards that have an AS MOHO like yours. I think you could pull the dents from the outside some and get her on the road for a while. I have heard of guys using a propane torch and a wet rag to get some smaller dents out as well...Do you listen to the VAP?

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Seems like an awful lot of creases there. Doubt you will have much luck fixing the look of it unless panels are replaced. Overall the airstream looks really nice. It would be nice to find one that could be a donor. Maybe someone will pop in with a solution for you.

Good luck

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I just emailed Out of Doors Mart to confirm if the panels they stock will work with the Classic Motorhome.

As for the motorhome I think it was a deal, I like to say it was "accidentally" for sale. It has 60,000km with a rebuilt 454 about 15k ago, new dometic fridge, new shocks, brake, front and rear airbags, mufflers and new tires all around.

Everything was well maintained and clean until it got crunched and the insurance company wrote it off. So as long as I get it looking OK it should pass the alignment, frame and mechanical inspection my province requires to be able to cruise again.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Welcome to the forums. You might also check with Andy at Inland RV. It seems like all the panels cost about $350 to $400 each. Installed they are around $1000 to $1200 each. The banana wrap, the plastic at the bottom, and the bumper are also, surprise, $350 to $400 each.

The coach looks great otherwise and well equipped with 2 A/C's and full awnings. If you bought it right you will end up with a pretty nice coach.

If you want to chat moho's PM me, I'm just across the strait in Port Angeles. My 280 is a '82 turbo diesel.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Rear bumper is about $400 too!
Looks like just 2 panels, Lamps, banana wrap and bumper.
I see no reason for the alignment to be out...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
airstream at Jackson Center should have the New Panels for you.

I got some , 3 for my rear end cap 2 years ago. they are all, each panel numbered.

Be sure to use the correct rivets and rivet gun.

take your time and do a good job of sealing the joints, do not skimp. You will have a great coach. Enjoy
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:54 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Rear bumper is about $400 too!
Looks like just 2 panels, Lamps, banana wrap and bumper.
I see no reason for the alignment to be out...
I'm sure the alignment is fine too, just part of the process to re register in BC.

Was that bumper on inland, I didn't see one on their site but the seach doesn't seem to work well for me.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpalmeris View Post
I'm sure the alignment is fine too, just part of the process to re register in BC.

Was that bumper on inland, I didn't see one on their site but the seach doesn't seem to work well for me.
The Inland site only shows a small portion of what is available, much in stock but some comes from Airstream. The factory has the stuff but will only sell to you if you are standing at their parts counter in Ohio. If not you have to buy through a dealer. I'm not sure the mark up of Canadian dealers but it seems many Canadians come to the States for purchase. I have a friend in Victoria who has many things sent to my house and then comes over on the ferry and carries them home. Much easier going through customs and no broker or internatonal shipping to deal with. Sometimes I even get lunch on the deal.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
The bumper price was also quoted to me by Andy at Inland.
If you have the broken piece, it could be TIG welded back if it was just snapped clean off.
Mine was broken the same side and same place as yours, and had been welded once.... and then broken again.
I am gonna try to fix it again...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote