Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vent Fan Blade

During our last trip out, we had the original front vent fan go out in our motorhome (1978 Argosy) (have owned the motorhome for 16 years but haven't used the fan much). It not only went out, it melted the fan blades. The model was VMC 287-046. We just purchased a used one from another forum member (same model/age) but are looking for new fan blades (he has some used ones but says they are too brittle from sun exposure). I've found a blade at Inland RV that looks like it will work, but when I emailed them, I received a reply from the woman in parts saying that she didn't know if the blades would work with the old fan. She knows it works with the new one they sell. Also, they have a $25 minimum. The blade is $9 plus shipping. Has anyone purchased new blades for their old fan, and if so, where/what part number? In addition, our old fan had a small thing that looks like a heat sink spliced in in-line. Does anyone else have one of these, is it necessary? It appears that it didn't help our fan. Any help will be much appreciated. (I'm in CA and would like to get one sooner than later for an upcoming trip...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fan model.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	183997   Click image for larger version

Name:	fan coupler.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	183998  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fan blade.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	183999  
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
That device looks like a inductor coil. Not a heat sink. It's probably used to reduce electrical noise from the motor. Sorry, can't help on the fan.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the input. Couldn't get any other information on it. As for the fan itself, I ordered a blade from Out-of-Doors Mart (#510227) and athough it didn't have the "D" shape center hole (i.e. it was round) if fit tightly. It was under $7 and shipping was reasonable. We installed it this weekend (sans the odd wiring gizmo) and it works great.
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote