Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Trip of a lifetime.....

As some of you might remember Susan and I bought off of eBay the little 1974 20' Argosy Moho that had a fresh 350 engine installed but not yet running. Well we finally found time to go pick it up. Needless to say it made for a very interesting road trip!

The options we had for bringing the Argosy from eastern Tennessee to central Arkansas were to A) hire a trucking company B) fabricate a tow bar and tow it back or C) find a trailer and haul it back ourselves. We couldn't afford option A and my concerns in fabricating a tow bar was the lack of brakes on the towed vehicle so we settled for option C. Of course that option didn't turn out as easy as I had hoped because my first choice in a trailer which was a gooseneck ended up being unavailable during the time frame we could make the trip. At the last minute I located and was able to borrow a 16' dovetail that had hydraulic brakes. However when I pulled the master cylinder cap it became readily apparent that the brakes were beyond repair. So......I ended up buying new electric brake backing plates complete with shoes and magnets and installed them. Fortunately the brake drums were setup for electric brakes as well as hydraulic. So $125 and a complete rewire of the trailer wiring later we were ready to make the trip. The trip to eastern Tennessee was pretty much uneventful other than the horrible roads we suffered through in Arkansas. With the empty trailer on back the ride was so bad Susan was having 2nd thoughts of making the trip with me. Fortunately once we got into Tennessee the roads improved dramatically.

The night before we were to pickup the Argosy it started raining so wouldn't you know it we had to deal with the rain during the loading process.

Being as this Argosy wasn't running we had to manually winch it up onto the trailer. Right from the get go I could tell it was going to be a long process using a come-a-long. The first thing we found was the wheel track was about 3" wider than the trailer. That didn't concern me to much as the trailer didn't have fenders but it did make it a little more difficult to get it up onto the trailer. Susan got to "ride" the Argosy up onto the trailer while she performed steering duties. I don't remember if she made any comments about the quality of the ride but I'm sure it wasn't all that great!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Arogsy trip 1.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	42757 Click image for larger version

Name:	Arogsy trip 2.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	42758

After winching it up the first 6 feet or so I talked the seller into bringing his Isuzu Trooper (?) over and we hooked a chain from the Argosy to his hitch and he helped pull it up onto the trailer. Since we were doing this in a gravel parking lot he spun his wheels a few times until he put it in 4-wheel drive!

Name:	Arogsy trip 3.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	42759

Name:	Arogsy trip 5.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	42761

But with his help we managed to get it fully up onto the trailer. Even though we only had a 16' trailer we were able to load the Argosy far enough forward to be able to balance the load properly and still keep the rear wheels far enough from the end of the trailer. I'm really glad we had a weight distributing hitch as it made a big difference in creating the proper load balance overall.

Name:	Arogsy trip 4.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	42760

Between the humidity and the spitting rain I managed to stay soaking wet during the loading process I think the loading process took somewhere around 3 hours overall. I don't think that was to bad considering all that was involved in tying it down properly and safely.

Now the fun begins.............

For obvious reasons we wanted to use a trailer with brakes to provide additional braking power due to the increased weight we were hauling. The Argosy weighs somewhere around 6,800 lbs and the trailer was 1,500 lbs. The truck weighs around 6,200 lbs and then add in two adults, luggage, tools, etc we end up having a rolling load of around 15,000 lbs. As we pulled out on the road I did a quick check of the brakes and wasn't happy with what I felt. It seemed that there was little stopping power. As we went down a small grade to the next major road I started pumping the brakes and realized at that time that we did NOT have the braking power needed to haul this thing home. I calmly (ok maybe not so calmly) mentioned to Susan that we didn't have brakes and we probably should do something about it. I know the trailer brakes were working because when I was trying to stop going down that small incline I could see the trailer tires lock up and slide when I hit the brakes!

We stopped at the first available parking lot to try and change a tire and while I did that Susan went and made some phone calls. I couldn't budge the lug nuts so we were then directed to a nearby tire place and they put the spare on for me. While there they helped us get in touch with a Firestone service shop that was a few miles away. When Susan called them they said "sure they could help us". They had a truck just coming off the lift and if we could be there in 30 minutes they'd take care of us. Boy did they! We got there (very slowly I might add) and after we unhooked the trailer they put the truck on the lift while Susan and I went and had lunch. When we came back they gave us the bad news. The right rear axle seal had been leaking and the shoes were saturated. On top of that the front pads were glazed and the rotors were to thin to turn. So here we are 650 miles from home with the heaviest rolling load I've ever towed and with no brakes except trailer brakes. We were extremely lucky in that the Firestone place not only took the time to check the brakes for us they were able to get them fixed in less than 3 hours. We were actually on the road headed home about 2:30 pm.

Once we actually got onto the Interstate we found that anything much higher than about 55 mph would cause the trailer to sway a little which made me uncomfortable. We ended up settling on 53 mph as our top speed. Originally my only real concern on the trip home was how well I would be able to control my speed going down some of the long grades in Tennessee on I-81 & I-40. Well it turns out the only thing I had to worry about were how long it would take to climb those long grades! Our truck is a 1988 3/4 ton Ford with a 7.3 non-turbo diesel. Its old, a little tired but was up to the task. We found that going down the grades the diesel engine did a great job of engine braking which helped slow the truck. On some down grades I actually had to accelerate to keep moving down hill. During the entire 650 mile return trip I only had to pass two vehicles which made me happy to say the least! I'm not sure what kind of mpg we got on the return trip and I don't think I want to know

I was able to test the new brakes one time. We were coming off an entrance ramp that was located on a curve and as I accelerated (ok crawled) down the ramp I checked my side view mirror only to see two 18 wheelers in the right lane with a half dozen more in the left lane. There was no room for the fast moving vehicles in the right lane to go should I try to merge. The entrance ramp was a short one and at the end of it was a bridge rail so I quickly slammed on the brakes and we came to a quick stop. YEAH brakes

Once we made it into the flat lands of eastern Arkansas the only problems we had were the various rain storms that we ran into. Wouldn't you know it the windshield wipers decided to fail at the worst possible moment during a horrendous down pour. We were lucky to make it to the shoulder because the rain hadn't slowed the 18 wheelers or cars down and I couldn't see past the windshield. That was probably the most nerve racking moment of the trip for me.

All in all the trip could have been planned a little better but overall it was a good trip and we really enjoyed (mostly) the looks and comments we got from people. Here it is at home.

Name:	Arogsy trip 6.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	42762

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That is one cute little guy. We're glad you got him home OK. Please keep us posted on his progress. You need to give him a name.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
You're a brave man.
I'm glad it all worked out for you, and that you found the brake problem before you got on the interstate!
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
its a cutie

My husband wants to get one and trick it out to set a land speed record for MoHos!!! but we have to sell AS #2 first----I am pushing for a 79 28' that is polished!
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
MOST STRESSFUL Trip of a Lifetime!

Brad forgot two words in his title, added above! I think we each lost a few years off our lives over this one. It was a white-knuckle trip all the way back. But we got home safely! We will not be doing that again, for sure!

Brad being the mechanical guy he is, posted all of the "technical" photos and skipped over the other neat aspects of the trip! So here are some other things I took pics of along the way.

This sighting in Tennessee got the trip off to an absolutely PERFECT and fortuitous start!

Name:	7-27-07 Argosy University.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	42763

We saw this RV on our way up - he was carrying a full-size cruising Harley on the back of the RV along with a bicycle, then towing the Jeep carrying another motorcycle and stuff we couldn't figure out. Amazing.

Name:	7-27-07 RV with STUFF.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	42764

When we got to Kingsport Saturday morning, we stopped to check directions and I saw this rainbow. It was a whole rainbow, but the right end came down right where we picked up our new little baby!

Name:	7-28-07 Rainbow close.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	42765

Here we are at the dollar store parking lot, where I ran in to ask about a brake shop.

Name:	7-28-07 On trailer in Kingsport.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	42766

The sign in this picture says it all. $514 later, we were back on the road.

Name:	7-28-07 Ford at shop.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	42767

We saw no Airstreams on the road on the way up, but on the way back, we saw two in quick succession on I-81 east of Knoxville. The first one was being flat-towed and I am still amazed I got that shot off in time.

Name:	7-28-07 Airstream 1 on I-81JPG.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	42768 Click image for larger version

Name:	7-28-07 Airstream on I-81JPG.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	42769

This horrific looking thing followed us all the way back from Kingsport!

Name:	7-28-07 The monster in the back window.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	42770

Here is what the view from the front window of Ruby Tuesday looked like as we stopped for lunch. I still can't believe we got it safely home!

Name:	7-28-07 Parked at Ruby Tuesdays.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	42772

I was talking to my mom on the phone as I saw this sight, and calmly kept talking as I yanked out the camera and desperately angled for the shot. Got it! (Okay, it's not the best...)

Name:	7-28-07 Tennessee AS dealer.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	42771

More in the next post. I ran out of picture space!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Hee hee, Debbie - I told Brad we needed to put the hopped-up 454 in it and go around collecting pink slips at the street races! It's a REAL sleeper, ha ha!!

Susan

Old 08-07-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Okay, here's the rest of the trip. Here's something cool we saw on the way back. For those of you who do not know Cirque du Soleil, you MUST get a DVD and check them out. They are absolutely amazing.

Name:	7-28-07 Cirque truck.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	42775

This is a power plant in the mountains of Tennessee. It was wild to come over a mountain and see it all of a sudden. VERY impressive stacks!

Name:	7-28-07 Power plant.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	42776

We woke up, had breakfast and went to the gas station Sunday and saw this.

Name:	7-29-07 Cool car at gas station.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	42777

This truck backed into the gas station we were at later in the day. Moo!

Name:	Truck with horns 7-29-07.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	42781

This is the Argosy moho and trailer outside Memphis on I-40 I didn't get such a good pic of on our last trip. We stopped and asked about them, and I have the name and phone number of the fellow who owns them if anyone is interested. We have no knowledge of condition other than what these pics show.

Name:	7-29-07 Argosys outside Memphis.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	42778 Click image for larger version

Name:	7-29-07 Argosys outside Memphis with ours.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	42779

And lastly, here is a tiny peek at an AS at a dealer/repair place outside Little Rock on I-40. I saw it on the way out, but wasn't quick enough to get the camera. I almost forgot it this time, too, but caught the very tip end of it amongst the SOBs.

Name:	Airstream at lot outside LR 7-29-07.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	42780

I hope you enjoyed our trip! I'm sure most of our hair will grown back in RealSoonNow...

Susan

Old 08-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
First off Susan, you are very quick with a camera. I'm impressed, and great photos. I don't think I have managed to get a photo yet of an Airstream on the road as we travel. Donna just shakes her head and laughs now when I start to go through the motions.

What an adventure you two had. I'll bet you were exhausted mentally and physically when you got home. These are the kinds of trips you can relate for years to come as you sit around the campfire. There's nothing wrong with that, now that you have it safely home of course. Is this a longer term project or something you intend to tackle pronto? More pictures of it would be great.

Brad - when you started mentioning that you had the fellow assist to tow it on with his Isuzu and you said he was spinning his wheels in the gravel I had visions of you saying that he managed to knock out the window or something. Glad that went well. Man, you guys sure went to a ton of effort for that little puppy. It owes you big time for rescuing it.

Thanks, and congratulations.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
First off Susan, you are very quick with a camera. I'm impressed, and great photos. I don't think I have managed to get a photo yet of an Airstream on the road as we travel. Donna just shakes her head and laughs now when I start to go through the motions.

What an adventure you two had. I'll bet you were exhausted mentally and physically when you got home. These are the kinds of trips you can relate for years to come as you sit around the campfire. There's nothing wrong with that, now that you have it safely home of course. Is this a longer term project or something you intend to tackle pronto? More pictures of it would be great.

Brad - when you started mentioning that you had the fellow assist to tow it on with his Isuzu and you said he was spinning his wheels in the gravel I had visions of you saying that he managed to knock out the window or something. Glad that went well. Man, you guys sure went to a ton of effort for that little puppy. It owes you big time for rescuing it.

Thanks, and congratulations.

Barry
Barry,

After the trip both of us were mentally and physically drained. We've got a lot going on right now and this trip didn't help any

My biggest concern for the trip was that we would have some kind of break down and have to find a place to store the Argosy until we could make another try. Needing the brake job just about met that criteria, fortunately throwing money at it solved that problem, and a lot of luck of course

I hadn't even thought about breaking a window when he spun his tires . Thats an image I don't even want to think about. Fortunately he was parallel and off to the side of the Argosy so that might have helped. Once he put it in 4-wheel drive the wheel spinning stopped.

We're going to be pulling the 350 out and replacing it with a rebuilt 454. The plans are to use the Argosy to pull our race car trailer which is being made out of a 1974 31' Excella 500 trailer. I figure out rolling load is going to be somewhere around 15,000 lbs so I don't think the 350 thats currently in the Moho is up to the task. I'd love to throw a diesel in but the odds of finding one we can afford are pretty slim. Besides I have the 454 sitting in a donor truck ready to pull.

We'll keep a post going detailing our progress. For the next few months though I think I'll catch up on my sleep.......

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 08-08-2007, 05:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
And it will be a longer-term project. We were going to pull the Excella with our 1953 Chevy one-ton panel truck, but this will take the place of the Chevy (which was a longer-term project as well).

One Chevy panel truck for sale soon! Needs restoration, but very cool!

Susan

Old 08-08-2007, 06:07 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
Greeneville , Tennessee
Congrat's!!
We saw you on I-81 near Knoxville! I was Jealous...
Have fun with it
Kevin
Old 08-08-2007, 06:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Yeah, I figured if we were to be seen on any trip we made, this one would be it (wry smile)!

Susan

Old 08-08-2007, 08:05 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
What a great trip. 53 miles per hour is two less than Chummy's top speed, now you can appreciate all the wonderful things we see at that speed.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Congratulations on a safe trip home and good luck with the restoration. That should be a great size for racing trips.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
What a nice family you have ... Triumphs and Airstreams ... and all the other critters. Hope to see you down the road, and you might even be easy to recognize.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
I was talking to my mom on the phone as I saw this sight, and calmly kept talking as I yanked out the camera and desperately angled for the shot. Got it! (Okay, it's not the best...)
I've been to that Airstream Dealer. That's in Cookeville, TN. I've also driven I-40 from the NC to Nashville, TN. You had quite a trip with that load.

Thanks for sharing the fun , and good luck with the restorations.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Now that you mention it, that is where I bought our Airstream! Nice folks. Treated us really well. I'd recommend them to any body...well, I guess I just did.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Thanks so much for sharing the trip. You two have more guts than I do. While you might have lost sleep on the way home, I would have run out of clean underwear! I am guessing that the roads home were no better than the roads to pick the vehicle up. (I have a keen sense for the obvious).

Anyway, great pics and a wonderful story.

Steve
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet An Adventure in Moving

Hi Brad and Susan,

Remember when Uhaul had that painted on their trucks? Then they realized that adventure was the last thing anyone wanted during moving. Same for Airstream pickup.

Thanks for the photo documentary. Glad you are back home safely. Agree about the 454. Good as the 350 is, the big blocks are outstanding engines. I look forward to your progress.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
What a great trip. 53 miles per hour is two less than Chummy's top speed, now you can appreciate all the wonderful things we see at that speed.
Chaplain, actually 53 mph was our TOP speed

We probably averaged no better than 50 mph for the trip and possibly a little less. I think it took us something like 18 hours of driving (with gas stops) to make the return trip.

All in all I'm glad we made it back and now I'm looking forward to when I can actually start working on it.

Brad