Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
1976 28' Argosy 28
Indianapolis , Indiana
Thought I would be camping by now! Help!

Hi. I am new to the forum and to Airstream. My wife and I just purchased a 1976 Argosy 28 over the weekend and foolishly thought that we could drive it home 300 miles without incident. We made it 250 miles and then laid down and died!Had it towed the rest of the way and now it is in pieces on our driveway! I have a few questions.

1) Parts...The parts we keep getting from parts places are never the right ones! Where or how can we find parts for the P30?
2) Water Pump...We were told a high flow might give too much flow thru the radiator (which we are having re-cored right now with a higher performance core
3) Windows...They leak and we can't figure out how to replace the fuzzy stuff. How do we get the windows out to do this and what is the fuzzy stuff called?

4) And.How do we get the radiator put back in without destroying it.
5) Any tips on finding a service or shop manual for the 76? I was told they didn't make one for this year so I am assuming another year will work? but where can we find it?
I need help!! Thanks!
edleeseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome and we feel your pain!

If my newly acquired motorhome died after 250 miles of 300 mile trip home, I'd have more than "a few questions.."

Happily, there are thousands of answers here... If you're new to Forums, you must learn to use "Search" tab above, now that you've joined.. Just type in a few key words and see what threads come back. May take a while, but few problems here haven't been "had" before, and somebody has usually solved them..

Second, there are subgroups and other owners you can search for in "Member search" are, and you might find someon you could contact by phone for extended advice sessions... Don't limit search to just Argosy for mechanical items, or structure, since the Airstream Classic Motorhomes had many common parts and problems...

As for specific questions, water pump questoin requires actual owner to respond. Fuzzy stuff is window seal available form several sources. Search for "window" and "fuzzy" above, and you'll find threads with pictures of projects where folks have replaced all their seals.. (Really!)

There may actually be a manual. Search for "secretarial Services" above, to find outfit in Ohio that supplies manuals for older Airstreams and Argosies.. You might also post message with specific subject (easier to search on..) like "Need Argosy MH Manual from 1976" and see if you get better response..

Good luck, and perhaps driveway camping will help identify any other problems that might appear on first camping trip, and save some headaches...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Welcome to the forums! You have come to the right place for answers! I can't help you out with MH related questions but there are plenty of others who can. Plus there is a great historical archive of information that is sure to help you in these forums. Good luck and we would love to see pictures of your new rig when you have time.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
parts

when I go to discount auto or auto zone I ask for parts for a p 30chevy chassy. put the radiator in from the bottom.lots of room when the front end is raised on ramps 2 man job due to size and weight. Also I tell the parts man I need parts for a 1977 argosy 24 ft. motor home p 30 chassy. all parts are on their computer. I've gotten all my moter parts that way all being right the first time.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Ask about whether there is a Heavy Duty model, though at this level, they may all be. Ask anyway. Bottom up was the way on my 77 Dodge van, too.

Good luck and welcome. Sorry it’s been such a rocky start.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Boy, I can feel your frustration. We have an 84 310 that we have put over 40,000 miles on and we have enjoyed (nearly) every day we've spent in it. But we have had our issues.

Parts for a P30 are generally available, what parts are you having problems with?

There is a thread on rebuilding the MH sliding windows, here it is: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...all-18806.html

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
1976 28' Argosy 28
Indianapolis , Indiana
Thanks for the encouragement all. The most immediate problem I'm having is finding a fuel filler hose. The PO had a very flexible one on and it kinked and then failed. It appears that the end where the filler assembly is located is 2.25" and the tank fitting is bigger. I've scoured the Indianapolis area looking for a parts store with a 2.25 with internal wire support to no avail.

On a brighter note, I found a radiator shop that will re-core the radiator with a higher capacity and efficiency for "just" $400.

If it wasn't for you folks and the info on this forum, I think I would have stayed inside the motorhome with the fumes till I didn't care anymore!
edleeseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by edleeseng
Thanks for the encouragement all. The most immediate problem I'm having is finding a fuel filler hose. The PO had a very flexible one on and it kinked and then failed. It appears that the end where the filler assembly is located is 2.25" and the tank fitting is bigger. I've scoured the Indianapolis area looking for a parts store with a 2.25 with internal wire support to no avail.

On a brighter note, I found a radiator shop that will re-core the radiator with a higher capacity and efficiency for "just" $400.

If it wasn't for you folks and the info on this forum, I think I would have stayed inside the motorhome with the fumes till I didn't care anymore!
If it's your filler part that is smaller than the tank inlet run the filler past a muffler shop and have them expand it to the correct size (same as your tank). Then you only need one sized fuel hose. Make sure you are accurate on the tank fill size and that the muffler shop guys know how critical it is to get it right to that size.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Assuming the Fuzzy channel you're asking about is for the front sliding windows it's called Schlagle channel and if you contact Inland RV they have everything you need.

Search the archives for the window channel replacement threads. Lots of info.

But for the record. Open the window all the way then pull the top channel material back and out. Then have your co-pilot lift the window gently and pull out the bottom material from the track. With the material out of the channel you can lift the window higher and angle out at the bottom to remove.

Installation is a variation on the same theme with the use of spray silicone for lubricant.

If you are doing the complete job you'll need the outside grey color weather striping. And the bear of it all is the fuzzy verticle divider stuff that everyone says is tough to get into the small track.

Parts.... well parts for the chassis are P30 as you say. NAPA is my first choice. Taking the old part for comparisson is the best way to be certain of the correct item.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote