Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Cochise , Arizona
Stripped Argosy

Hi all,
I thought I'd share what I've managed to do so far with my Argosy (sterling starship as she's been named)

Stripped

Merry band of helpers (I have my arms outstretched)
I had a couple questions about polishing/painting now. I am definitely going to polish it as the aluminum seems in really good shape. See the scuff marks? I was wondering if that will just come right out as I begin to buff it.
Also, does anyone have any reliable paint companies who sell metalic paint to match the aluminum? I realize I will have to paint the end caps and bumpers due to the steel/plastic.
I'm going to my buddies auto body shop tomorrow with it to see what they have to say but I always like to check all resources. Any advice would be awesome, I know there are a lot of threads about it but they all offer different advice.
s4misfaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Post Falls , Idaho
I have a '78 Argosy MH just like yours and have been considering doing the same thing. Are the scuff marks the result of the stipping method or is this how it was from the factory before painting ?
Great pictures. Please continue to post updates to your project as you move along. I know there are other Argosy owners who will be interested.
steveturk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Cochise , Arizona
Hi, thanks for the response. The scuff marks are from the factory.
I found out from a friend who owns a body shop that it should be painted because of these reasons.
*It would take about 2 months to buff it all and a lot of it would have to be hand buffed
*It would oxidize unless clearcoated in about 3 months
*It's resell value would go up significantly if painted because it could last 20+ years
etc....
I'm currently looking into different painters and colors, I think I'm going to go with a silver or white but I will keep the thread updated
s4misfaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
WOW did you and your team did a fantastic job! My husband hand sanded and calked every seam in our 78' 27' Argosy Travel Trailer. We did not take the original paint off. We had a painting company do the painting. We had them put a apoxy sealer primer paint on first. Then they used a paint created for outdoor equipment such as fire trucks. As you said it will last many years. Good job!

P.S. You can view ours in the registry under jjustice.
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Great job!
We have an '86 345. We had it painted since our clear coat was bad. The silver you want to use is a Mercedes color. It is called Iridium Silver Metallic.
It is a perfect match for our aluminum.
Attached Images

Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Post Falls , Idaho
Your 345 really looks nice. How long ago was it painted and is it basecoat clearcoat, or other ? I would love to see more pictures and detail of the exterior Mercedes Silver paint if you get a chance to post them. Thank you for the info.
steveturk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Welcome to the club. I stripped my 79 Argosy Trailer last year and polished it. The factory blemishes are there but I think it ass to the character. However I dont plan to ever sell mine. It would look much better painted but expensive. I was getting quotes of $7000-10000 in Northern VA. I was not willing to pay that. So polish is cheap and my labor is free. Yes you have to polish 1-2 time a year every year to keep it looking nice. The clear coat that is made today does not last like the old stuff (EPA BS). So dont clear coat. If I had to do it over again I would paint it and just find someone that paint on the side not a major autobody place.

Good luck
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote