Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Cochise , Arizona
Sell as is or gut? HELP 1977 28' Argosy

Hi all, I have been trying to sell my Argosy for some time. It has a pretty new engine and a brand new paint job (silver with clear coat). I pretty much bought it and painted in on a whim because thats the kind of person I am.
I am in over my head with this thing and I have been trying to sell it. The biggest issues are that the interior is nowhere near original. It doesn't have a dashboard (I fashioned one out of wood for temp use), the floor has some wood and poorly installed fake wood (no idea), the carpet around the driver has been pulled up and I put insulation down because when I drove the thing it was pretty cold out. Also the water stopped working awhile ago.
Basically I have no idea what to do. I put a bunch of money into it but I can't seem to find any buyers interested for 8k, I have been thinking of dropping it down to 6k just out of desperation OR I can gut it and try to sell the parts like the engine which is a Chevy 454 non fuel injected but can be converted (originally fuel injected some guy called it a wonka tonka??). I could use any advice and if you guys want to see pictures or a video of it I have those as well.
s4misfaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Are you trying to sell it anywhere besides the forum classifieds? (I just looked at your ad there.) The exterior shots look pretty good, actually. There's only one rather poor photo of the interior, turned sideways... that may put people off.

I see that you've had it listed since February on the Airstream classifieds. That means people like me might not have seen it since then, because I generally click the "last 7 days" button just to see what's out there. When I was hunting, I was checking daily but really only looking either at the last day or the last 7 days.

You might try eBay, and perhaps list it in PHX and Tucson Craigslist. If you list it in Craigslist, expect a fair amount of crazy contacts offering half what you're selling it for and some offering 3x what you're selling it for but you're supposed to send them the change after you get their cashier's check in the mail, etc. Don't do any business via Craigslist with anyone you're not looking at face-to-face, but that's where I found my Argosy trailer.

Really, the exterior looks good. Take some honest pictures of the interior, list what's right and wrong with it, and DON'T list it for the minimum you'd take. Especially in the Craigslist world, it seems like most people are happier to pay $7k for something listed for $9k that's worth $7k than they would be to pay $7k for something listed for $7k that's worth $8k. Like an auction, it's more about the "win" than the real value.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:38 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Cochise , Arizona
Here is a video I made of it. I have been sending that to various people who have been interested. To be honest it might be that I live in the middle of nowhere it's even 1.5 hour drive from Tucson
Old 04-20-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Cochise , Arizona
here is this vid:
Old 04-20-2011, 03:39 AM   #5

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4misfaction
here is this vid:
I would suggest cleaning it up and clearing everything out. Take lots of pictures (video is good but clean it out first) make a list of what's been done with dates and a list of what needs to be done. Delete the old ad and post a new one. This one needs a lot of work inside but people still can't see with all of your stuff inside. Good luck with the sale. She looks great outside.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
blmitch is right about cleaning it up. Make it look as good as you can.
And as long as you are doing video run the engine and generator, at least the engine.
Are you sure this is a 1977 ? I have one and there are some differences.Bathroom cabinets outside storage lockers.
Jo