Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
Doylestown , Pennsylvania
Questions - May purchase a 1978 Argosy Motorhome 24'

Hey - I came across a 24' 1978 Argosy Motorhome that I am looking to purchase this weekend.

What should I be looking for in this? It has 28k miles on it. Current owner had it inspected and fixed a few things it needed. There was a leak at the water tank which she had professionally patched. How are the motors on these? Are they reliable?

She has not ran water through it. I plan to replace the plumbing lines with Pex since the rear bathroom is taken out currently for the patch job and it would be easier to do before putting it back together.

Exterior and interior in great condition. What would you pay for this?
npm5031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Whatever you do pay for it remember that is only a down payment on the total amount of $$$$ you will need to fix, mend, repair, replace, upgrade, etc.

Low miles means it has sat a bunch. All of the mechanical systems will need attention. Not saying you should steer clear but have a very, very realistic view of the $$$$ it will cost to become a viable camper. Being really handy and having lots of tools and a place that your allowed to work on it are needed.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
Doylestown , Pennsylvania
Thank you! Yes I know the money that may need to be put in. I rehabbed a 1976 20’ Argosy Im currently traveling/living in. The cosmetic and interior repairs, I can handle. My biggest concern is the engine and how reliable those motors are. Floors, upholstery, countertops, etc. have been replaced.
npm5031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 06:16 AM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by npm5031 View Post
Hey - I came across a 24' 1978 Argosy Motorhome that I am looking to purchase this weekend.

What should I be looking for in this? It has 28k miles on it. Current owner had it inspected and fixed a few things it needed. There was a leak at the water tank which she had professionally patched. How are the motors on these? Are they reliable?

She has not ran water through it. I plan to replace the plumbing lines with Pex since the rear bathroom is taken out currently for the patch job and it would be easier to do before putting it back together.

Exterior and interior in great condition. What would you pay for this?

28 k miles/44 years=636 miles per year... Really? Not knowing anything about the mechanical condition...3500
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 09:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

i have a 1977 argosy it has a 454 chev engine it now has 95,000 miles on it. i bought it about 15yrs ago. it had 15.000 miles on it then. I spend about 1,000 dollars a yr on it in canada for upkeep. I work you can do mostly yourself. has the origanal frig hot water tank propane tank plumbing. i have replaced the toilet and furnace. and this year i put in a new inverter. my ground wire on the battery was corroded to the point it was no longer grounding and i burned out the constavolt charger trying to find the problem. but you can do most repairs yourself . if your a mechanicaly inclined. i don't take it to a mechanic because when i have they have screwed it up. i had a awing put on it and they put the arms in the wrong place. i have them make a water tank for it and they drilled the filler hole to big. thank god i tookj the tank out may self and installed it myself. they just had to make the tank and put the holes in it for the fittings. but i'm happy with it it runs good .
Old 10-30-2021, 09:59 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

if you purchase it and it's been sitting have the airconditioners checked before turning them on. mine were ceased up and when it turned the engine one on it broke the shaft. and the roof one did'nt work either. also they are the old system they have freon gas in them. also the frig has freon gas in it. the fan on both on them work but they do not cool because the compressors don't work.