Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Columbus , Ohio
P30/P32 Front Air Ride???

Okee dokee... Maybe someone out there knows if there's a REAL air spring kit that can be used on the P/30 P/32 chassis....

We've all seen the big Chevy Dually trucks that a really, really lowered, right? They have all kinds of fancy lowering stuff for them... Does anyone suppose that here's a kit for a stock ride height?

I wonder if any of the air shocks/springs manufactured would be similar in height to the standard coil that are sold for the P30/P32.

The reason I figure this...is because the Chevy chassis are almost identical through the range, except for track width. So, the only difference in the chassis P30/32 and the Chevy 3500, is the drag links/tie rods.

I was given a new set of steel front end coils that are the ones that are standard for the Chevy Dually... They're a little (1/2") taller (longer?) than a brand new set of the P30/P32 "stockers".

If I can't figure out some other option, other than the "correct" in-the-coil air bags (and possibly those super 'spensive shocks I've seen advertised, can't remember the name now) I think I'll put the HD Chevy parts in and see what I get.

Maybe just a little stiffer ride in the front, but hopefully a little higher.

Anybody know what can be done? I'm tired of worrying about bottoming out!

Cheers!
Chris
slickandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
These fit mine:AIR LIFT 81560 1000 Series Rear Air Spring Kit
by Air Lift
Amazon says they are for rear and don't fit my 1999 p32 however my bags leaked these looked like the ones installed so I bought them, they were a perfect fit.
Amazon does have a good return policy but by the time you messed them up if they don't fit and the only way to test is to install. Others have describe the process here but figure on a day to install. The hot water and clamps only way to get them in.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Chris, You should be able to put air bags inside your front coils like I
put in my 24' AS MH. I got my Firestone bags from SD Truck Springs. Part number 4100, $87.00. They were a real challenge to push up through the hole in the bottom of the lower a arm but , once you get them in there they work great! A low cost improvement that makes a huge difference in ride and handling.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Columbus , Ohio
Thanks Gang!

Hiya Guys- Thanks for the tips, but what I'm after is an actual air spring (set of 'em) for the front end... The bags that are there are the Firestone bags, inside the stock coils. The street side bag is shot now, so it's time to replace the whole shootin' match.

I'm trying to find out if there are actual airsprings (similar to those that the those 'crazy kids' are installing into their "bagged" custom rides, or on the "big rigs"... only I don't wanna lower the MH, I wanted to retain a "stock" or a slightly little higher ride height.

I've called several of the companies that specialize in the 'airide' stuff, but I don't think they can wrap their minds around the concept... I believe that maybe all they truly understand are methods of severely lowering a custom vehicle.

The BIG trucks (diesel semi tractors) use the same type of air springs that I have in mind in their front suspensions, but those parts are absolutely huge...some company HAS TO manufacture them parts in smaller sizes for the P30/P32, or at least equivalent in size to a standard GM truck coil spring, right?

I was trying to find out if anyone out there in the AS/Argosy community had (or knows of) an alternative to the "bags inside the coils" route for the front end.... maybe even coil-over shocks to help supplement the airbags inside the springs, if I end up absolutely having to go that route again.

If I find out anything about the parts that I have in mind, I'll certainly share what I learn.

CHEERS!
Chris in Columbus
slickandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Check with your local Fire Department. Most of them run P-30/P-32 chassis on their transport rigs, check who they use. Heavier springs are made now, and the air bags are not needed anymore.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote