Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2016, 09:48 PM   #1

1975 Argosy 28
Bellingham , Washington
Newbie '75 Argosy owner, heating issues

So I'm 100% new to the travel trailer world. My wife and I bought a 1975 Argosy in solid condition. The furnace seemed to work fine the first couple times out, but now the furnace will kick on and the lights dim and then it peters out and won't kick back on unless I shut if off and turn it back on... and then it still never really heats the space.

This trailer has been retrofitted with solar, and as far as I can tell it is charging okay. The furnace is also newer as is the thermostat. It really seems to be an energy supply problem.

Is this a battery issue? I've only had it a few weeks, so I'll admit to not having tested the battery out yet.

I suspect it's an easy thing, I just don't know what I'm doing quite yet...
michaelcbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Sounds like a low battery problem. Could be the battery, or any of the charging components...
Old 02-21-2016, 10:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I would guess you have a 12 volt battery and charger issue and that your batteries are not charged enough to run the furnace properly. So, it may not be the furnace at all.

In addition, if it is the original furnace, it is 41 years old now, and I can only say it needs replacement due to age. The Furnaces installed in the 70's were all subject to recall due to some dangerous issues and at this point could have developed even more problems such as rusted out combustion chambers.

So, electrical problems need to be resolved first, then strongly consider furnace replacement. Even a new furnace will not run properly with bad batteries and converter/charger issues.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I agree with the low voltage scenario. Plug in to shore power and see if that solves the problem. For safety reasons, furnaces are designed to shut off when they detect low voltage
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Hi Argosy guys and gals,

We tried to get the heating furnace in Harvey our 24ft 1977 Argosy running this weekend for the first time.

We have replaced the gaskets and it fires up, but keeps cutting in and out - as though it is getting an irregular flow of gas or air.

Does anyone know of a simple way to solve it or if not, where we can get a new furnace.

Yours hopefully from Cornwall, UK
Beverly Hill

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
In Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote