Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2004, 01:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Lansing , Michigan
Talking new subforum

What a great idea. Finally, our very own forum. Let's hear from all you Argosy MH owners. I have learned so many things from all of you in the past 8 weeks. Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tom
tandemfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
Bill Gurney

Unhappy

Hey, Bill here a 28 ft argosy owner. going thru a restoration project now. This is the place to find help. and belive me, I need all I can get.
bgurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:24 AM   #3
Southern Comfort

I'm a Newbie

Hey Bill, I also have a 78 Argosy 28 ft. I bought it about 6 months ago it was in really good shape aside from minor things...radio, horn etc. I can't believe that my MH came with it's entire history, including the sales sticker. I've got alot to learn but it sure can be fun when you make new discoveries about the machine. I look forward to picking everyones brains for information and direction. I've been taking MH on short two to three hour overnight trips to see how everything works and not get stranded too far away if any should happen.

Ray
Ray Pena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:22 PM   #4
Bill Gurney

Well the day has arrived, taking it out for 5 days for a shakedown. When we purchased it, it had a brand new 454 installed, tires brakes etc. I just had to do a lot of clean up, and replace the water heater. tons of little fixes as it sat in a garage for 3 years after the engine was installed. Still needs a paint job, but that will come soon, just have to put up with the mouldy green color a while longer. Oh well it blends in with the trees.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:22 AM   #5
Southern Comfort

Hey Bill Congrats, on the maiden voyage, good luck, let me know how it goes.

Ray
Southern Comfort
Ray Pena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:14 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I am on my second Argosy MH. How can I be of assistance???

Both of them required some interior and exterior redo.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:32 PM   #7

We are new owners of a 1977 28' Argosy Motorhome!

We are new to this whole motorhome thing. This Argosy is our first. It is in great condition, but has a few minor problems. Most everything works, but the heater will blow air, but no heat, and the motor is squeeling. I have lubed all the belts, but it has not seemed to help. Anyway, I am glad to belong to this "club" of Airstream owners.

-Enjcapp
enjcapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:35 PM   #8

enjcapp here, have takin' our argosy 28 out twice now with very minor problems. Still very happy with our purchase
enjcapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:37 PM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
welcome to the forums. Consider coming to the mini rally at beverly beach this october - there are other streamers from your area who will be there.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Little Argosy Project available...

FWIW, while driving home from vacation trip up CA and OR coast, and home on I-5 July 8th, spotted really small Argosy MH for sale at mile marker 209 on I-5 in Oregon, south of Roseburg...

Looked like 20' or less, similar to Airstream ambulance units, with only front window and door on curb side... Looked to be in good body shape, light tan in color.. Perhaps someone closer could check it out and get info..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:56 AM   #11

1976 28' Argosy 28
Cleveland , Ohio
Hi, I don't know if this is right place. My husband & I bought a 1977 Argosy 28 in June. There didn't seem to be too much wrong. Minor things. Everything seemed to be working....then we took it out to family reunion. Brakes were mushy..fixed that. Anyway..we are having a problem with the Generator..it doesn't want to stay on. Changed the spark plugs and fuses and oil. It runs beautiful for about 15 min without a load then stops. Runs with a/c for about the same then stops. I called Onan, they gave me # for Cleveland Dist., I called and was told that part # I gave them (for a fuel solenoid) was no longer. Please help..this is our first & may be our last.
Thank you
Donna & Bill
Cleveland Ohio
1977 Argosy 28
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
First off on the gen-- is your fuel tank in the MH over 1/4 tank? If below that point the gen will not get fuel to run. It is a "safety" feature that cuts fuel to the gen when fuel runs low so your engine does not stall. I would pull the filter, check it and the lines coming in to the gen. Also cleaning the carb on it can have very beneficial results and is easy to do. My Onan would start and stall until I cleaned the carb, and put in a new spark plug.
Lastly because of the way these are oiled, if the oil in them is too high or too low they will stall. Oil level is critical, and should be carefully checked while on a level surface.
on a personal note--I find I don't use the gen as often as I thought I would , mainly to run the a/c when travelling...the refrig will stay cold a long time so I often shut it off when on the road for trips shorter than a day.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:44 PM   #13
Bill Gurney

Talking Trial trip

Well the first trip several months ago went fine, next week it will get a workout, going from Tampa, fl to Brenham Tx. for a couple of weeks, hope fully the old girl will behave on the trip. Trying to stay on back roads most of the trip, slow and easy and enjoy the ride. Mainy to conserve a little fuel, and a lot more peaceful than competing with the 75 to 80 mph crowd on I-10. Belive it will be fun, new motor brakes tires etc. should not have any worries.