Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2016, 10:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

 
1978 28' Argosy 28
Haskell , Oklahoma
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 27
New project 1978 28

I got it from my Grandpa. He added throttle body fuel injection to it. It needs some updating and repair but it's pretty solid.

Chevyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,752
Chevyboy123 welcome to Airforums!

That's a nice looking Argosy you inherited, it appears to be a 77 or 78.

By all means post more pictures of your Argosy both inside and out. I for one would like to see pictures of the engine compartment as I'm in the process of adding TBI to my 74 Argosy.

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,061
Blog Entries: 2
Go for it. Looks great.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:34 AM   #4
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,281
Welcome on board Chevyboy123.

If you have a solid base, try to avoid the temptation to dive in and pull apart instead concentrate on getting it back in use and fix as you go. It's one thing to rebuild something that is already apart or gutted, but these are complicated beasts and many folks start with ideas of rebuilding/remodeling only to uncover a 'can of worms' that never get finished.

Get it back in use, enjoy, fix and update as needed, but best in that order.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

 
1978 28' Argosy 28
Haskell , Oklahoma
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 27
Thanks guys

I'll get some additional pics today.

My plan is just get it back in shape then start updating. The first thing is brakes on the way home the driver side caliper locked up and the passenger side hardly worked. The pedal sucked and I'm not sure the back worked at all. I'm looking at changing the rear to disc so I can service them without removing the hubs. It also needs a heater the heat exchanger cracked on the old one.
Chevyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

 
1978 28' Argosy 28
Haskell , Oklahoma
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 27

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/chevyboy123/media/D85396EC-406B-4773-9660-A5120DD2D242.jpg.html][/

Chevyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

 
1978 28' Argosy 28
Haskell , Oklahoma
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 27










Chevyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,281
Think carefully before doing the disc conversion at the rear. If you look through my rebuild thread you will see the that my brakes sucked, then gave out all together. During the brake rebuild I asked the shop to do a disk upgrade and they advised against it, as disk brakes actually have a longer brake travel than well adjusted drums.

From my experience I now know that if the standard brakes are working as they should, they give a great pedal feel and at least stop my little 20 as good as a modern car/van. I took my low mileage Tacoma out today after driving Bella around last weekend and took a couple of 'stops' to realize I have to brake harder in the Tacoma than the Argosy to bring it to a halt.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
Boomer56's Avatar
 
1982 27' Excella
1982 28' Airstream 280
Midlothian , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 11
Broken Arrow! I have a friend up there I visit time to time! I also have a 82 Excella 280 that looks just like yours except it doesn't have paint! I've had it a year and just now getting started on it! Will be nice to see how you progress and compare! I was one of those guys that was going to tear everything out and quickly realized that was way more than I wanted to do! So now I'm focusing pulling carpet replacing with a hard floor and cleaning and repairing one thing at a time! Boomer in DFW area!
Boomer56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

 
1978 28' Argosy 28
Haskell , Oklahoma
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Chevyboy123 welcome to Airforums!

That's a nice looking Argosy you inherited, it appears to be a 77 or 78.

By all means post more pictures of your Argosy both inside and out. I for one would like to see pictures of the engine compartment as I'm in the process of adding TBI to my 74 Argosy.

Brad
The TBI setup is pretty straight forward. This one has an aftermarket harness with an 88 BBC computer. It uses all GM parts. There are factory throttle body adapters from the early TBI pick ups that will bolt directly to the Q-Jet manifold and TB assembly. You will need the TBI era coil and distributer. I hope this helps.

Josh
Chevyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyboy123 View Post
The TBI setup is pretty straight forward. This one has an aftermarket harness with an 88 BBC computer. It uses all GM parts. There are factory throttle body adapters from the early TBI pick ups that will bolt directly to the Q-Jet manifold and TB assembly. You will need the TBI era coil and distributer. I hope this helps.

Josh
Josh, thanks for the pictures!

I'm going all GM as well. I'm basically sourcing all the parts that would be used on a 94 P30 with a 454. The PCM is from a 94 with the memcal for a P30/454/4L80e which is basically the configuration that I have.

You can read about the conversion here.

You've got a pretty decent looking coach. A lot of good advice has been posted which ought to keep you busy for a while

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
Gregsch's Avatar
 
1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 536
Welcome aboard Chevyboy! Looks like you grandfather really hooked you up with a gem. Do be careful with those brakes. The most important thing is that you can stop. You definitely don't want to get in an accident and damage that beauty. Good luck
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

 
1978 28' Argosy 28
Haskell , Oklahoma
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Think carefully before doing the disc conversion at the rear. If you look through my rebuild thread you will see the that my brakes sucked, then gave out all together. During the brake rebuild I asked the shop to do a disk upgrade and they advised against it, as disk brakes actually have a longer brake travel than well adjusted drums.

From my experience I now know that if the standard brakes are working as they should, they give a great pedal feel and at least stop my little 20 as good as a modern car/van. I took my low mileage Tacoma out today after driving Bella around last weekend and took a couple of 'stops' to realize I have to brake harder in the Tacoma than the Argosy to bring it to a halt.
Yeah that's squarely in the maybe column. I know factory rear brakes will do great when working correctly. I just hate having to pull hubs to check a wheel cylinder. I think the max GVW is 12,500, so the brakes should stop it great once they are freshened up.
Chevyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:06 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

 
1978 28' Argosy 28
Haskell , Oklahoma
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer56 View Post
Broken Arrow! I have a friend up there I visit time to time! I also have a 82 Excella 280 that looks just like yours except it doesn't have paint! I've had it a year and just now getting started on it! Will be nice to see how you progress and compare! I was one of those guys that was going to tear everything out and quickly realized that was way more than I wanted to do! So now I'm focusing pulling carpet replacing with a hard floor and cleaning and repairing one thing at a time! Boomer in DFW area!
Sounds good to me!!
Chevyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master
 
Smartstream's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyboy123 View Post
Yeah that's squarely in the maybe column. I know factory rear brakes will do great when working correctly. I just hate having to pull hubs to check a wheel cylinder. I think the max GVW is 12,500, so the brakes should stop it great once they are freshened up.
First of all Welcome Aboard. Be prepared for the insanity to set in.

In order to change your rig to disc brakes you would be best to change the entire rear end which is not really that big a deal. The real fun comes with the parking brake. The disc brake units require a drum brake mounted on the rear of the trans. That involves a new tail shaft housing, backing plate, drive yoke, drum shoes, and the cable and linkage to operate everything. Some parts like the drive yoke can be very hard to find.

When you go through your brakes put new cylinders, shoes and mounting hardware and with the number of miles usually put on these coaches you will be good for many years.
__________________
Cheers, Dan
________________________________________


"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them."
~ Margaret Thatcher ~
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

 
1978 28' Argosy 28
Haskell , Oklahoma
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 27
Where would be the best place to get new seals for the sliding windows?
Chevyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyboy123 View Post
Where would be the best place to get new seals for the sliding windows?
This thread ought to get you started
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:39 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

 
1978 28' Argosy 28
Haskell , Oklahoma
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 27
Well to say life got in the way of this would be an understatement! lol But we’re back on it now!
Chevyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:32 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

 
1978 28' Argosy 28
Haskell , Oklahoma
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 27
So someone removed the compressor from this thing would a 480C viair be a good replacement?
Chevyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:50 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

 
1978 28' Argosy 28
Haskell , Oklahoma
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 27
Also would it be worth while to add a second AC to the top? I know I would need to upsize the generator would 6.5kw be enough?
Chevyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1978 31' 1978 Airstream Sovereign Land Yacht - South Florida JoshuaSteven Airstream Classifieds 0 08-12-2015 07:58 PM
1978 Airstream International Ambassador 29' Travel Trailer Project eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 04-08-2012 06:40 PM
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre :: 1978 Argosy by Airstream Minuet 6.0 Metre overlander64 Airstream Registry Discussions 0 08-19-2011 08:30 AM
1978 22 foot Argosy vs 1978 22' Minuet DonDiego All Argosy Trailers 37 12-02-2009 08:34 PM
1978 Argosy 24 Project BillyP All Argosy Trailers 2 11-18-2006 04:35 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.