Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2021, 02:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1974 24' Argosy 24
Anaheim , California
Unhappy Need advice: Argosy Motorhome needs motor?

My 1974 24’ Argosy Motorhome may need a new motor and transmission. It’s been broken down along the road for over a month. During that time it’s had a lower radiator hose, 2 alternator belts, a thermostat, fuel line repair, and head gasket. Now it’s eating oil and I’ve been told the O rings are bad, so a new motor is needed. I already knew a transmission was on the horizon. I’m in Eureka, Ca area, with not a lot of mechanics capable of doing the work- and I’m not even sure if its worth it to do. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, is a crate motor a rebuilt motor now? Merits of that vs a regular rebuilt?
lost.again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Engine Repalcement

Your a perfect situation for the install of a "Jasper Engine and Transmission". Jasper is a high quality remanufacturer of engines and transmissions. Located in Jasper, Indiana they are available nationally. Contact them and they will direct you to the closest authorized installer. I have used several of these throughout the years and have been very well satisfied. Great warranty but I never had to use it. Question is how much $$$$$ do you want to spend? Quality is not cheap. Having to do the job twice because of inferior product is even more expensive. Your looking at a substantial investment to "Do It Right".
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
You'll get lots of advice on engines and transmissions so I won't say much along those lines. Since your's is a 74 you'll find removing the motor is going to be a challenge. There are two ways to do it, one is out the front and the other is out the bottom.

Pulling from the front is the typical approach and unfortunately in the case of 74-76 Argosies also the most difficult. The entire plastic front grill will need to be removed and it's held in with rivets, LOTs of rivets. Once you get the front grille remove there will be an aluminum structural cross member that you'll need to cut out as well.

Next comes the radiator, transmission cooler, and AC condenser. After that it's just a matter of unhooking all of the misc items and pulling the motor. There are several threads on how to pull a motor out the front for you to review as well.

The other option os to remove the motor from the bottom. This entails remvoing the entire front suspension so whoever does the work will need a lift that allows them to remove the front suspension. In many ways this will likely be the easiest approach although it may not seem like it at first. In my thread I show the whole front suspension being removed and re-installed. However I did not remove the engine out the bottom, mine came out and back in through the front. The transmission is dropped out the bottom.

The 24' Argosy chassis may be different than the 20' Argosy chassis but you may find removing the rear transmission mount to be a challenge. The bolts that hold it in place are not accessible due to the floor structure sitting right on top of the bolts. A good automotive shop should be able to deal with the problem but it is a pain if nothing else.

Regardless of which method you choose you'll find it's going to be a chore and probably a fairly expensive one at that.

Good luck.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:32 PM   #4
Stolyolyo

2003 22' International CCD
2004 18' Westphalia
Olympia , Washington
Argosy 24 still sound mechanically

Check out classified for '78 Argosy 24 gutted by fire Underpins are good.
stoliolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
. . .
. . . you'll find removing the motor is going to be a challenge. There are two ways to do it, one is out the front and the other is out the bottom.
. . .
Brad
Thank you for your expert advice . . . all over the place . . . invaluable IMO.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:47 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1974 24' Argosy 24
Anaheim , California
Thank you for your response. I finally found a repair shop in Eureka who said they could do the work, and there did propose a Jasper engine and transmission. Unfortunately, the price of the engine, tranny, and radiator was quoted to start at $17,500 lowest and more probably in the $22M to $25M range. It’s not feasible to me. I’m going to sell it and hope to find someone who is capable of doing the work themselves or wanting to part it out.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:53 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1974 24' Argosy 24
Anaheim , California
Thanks for responding to my post. I’ve been working up in the California Redwoods with no internet for the last month, so I’m slow to respond. I finally got a quote for the work. It was from $17,500 to $25M.... which laid me low immediately.

I actually had the owner read your post to get an idea of how to go about it. As he read, he got paler and paler... i think he doubled the price in his mind. Haha. But I’d rather have reality up front rather than in the middle of the job. You did a kindness for me there. Thank you.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:21 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1974 24' Argosy 24
Anaheim , California
So the general option among mechanics seems to be: its a tough job and I don’t want to do it! Maybe an argosy trailer instead of a motorhome!

Thanks for your comment!
Old 07-24-2021, 12:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I think you should get more quotes.

Check out GM crate motors. New factory engines with warranties.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:49 AM   #10
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost.again View Post
So the general option among mechanics seems to be: its a tough job and I don’t want to do it! Maybe an argosy trailer instead of a motorhome!

Thanks for your comment!
You will find this is a general theme if you go the motorhome route.

Yes they are built of a standard platform, yes the majority of the parts are readily available and common with other light trucks, but the addition of the motorhome structure and electrics in general massively impacts. This ranges from simply being in the way (the motorhome body was not designed to facility access to engine/cooling/brakes/etc/etc and the floor/frame laid over the chassis preventing access to things like crossmember/mounting bolts) through to chassis components being modified/different versions for the specific application.

This means commercial shops see working on these units as being 1) more time consuming, 2) more complicated, and simply 1) + 2) means it doesn't fit a rapid in/out commercial operation.

In general if it takes 2 or 3 times longer it will cost 2 or 3 times more and commercial shops don't see this as viable - you are just occupying their bay when they could be working on something else.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote