Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #1

Azalea , Oregon
Looking at Argosy Motorhome, need advice!

We're considering buying a 1977, 24' Argosy Motorhome. We have only seen some pictures so far, but we're in touch with the owner and want to ask some intelligent questions before making the trip to see it. It is listed as having 81000 miles. New 3 burner kitchen range. Large refrigerator. Onan generator. Roof air conditioner. GM P300 chassis with Chevy 454 engine. Any advice, cautions, opinions on the quality of this unit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
990rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I saw that one advertised as well. Do you have a mechanic you trust in the area you could take it to for a check up? That's my policy regarding all the classic cars I buy, and it's served me well. You could even find out how much the local AS dealer in Eugene charges to go over a motorhome and have them take it down there, it's not that far away. It's a big investment, so I think it would be worth a couple hundred to know what you're getting into.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
Do a compression check for sure!! this will give you a real good idea of general engine health.

Imagine the sight of them linked together!

gmehal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
NSB , Florida
Look at the frame in the back and in the side compartments. Ours has rust in different places, some minimal and some not. We're replacing the back end, 5' on one side and 2 on the other, and the rear cross member. The truck frame isn't bad, it's all in the motorhome frame that's added to it. I'll be posting pics in another thread when it's complete. Good Luck.
projector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
1977 24' Argosy 24
albuquerque , New Mexico
I just posted picts. of my 24 footer 1977 under argosy motorhomes.... So far I have not had any major problems..I purchased it in may of 2010,,, make sure tires are in good shape as mine looked good but the center of the tires were bulging in spots,, also had to replace some steering linkage,, other than that it is really a nice home...
fauxfinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1987 32.5' Airstream 325
Windsor , Ontario
Looking at Argosy

I bought one a couple of years ago form Virginia and drove it home to Southern Ontario. I asked the seller to take it to his mechanic and had it go over the safety ceritificate inspection. I had him go over the brakes and replace what it needed, replaced all 6 tires, new starter, new belts and hoses, pressure test the rad, compression on the motor, replaced the plugs and wires and all fluids. I think I was lucky as he said that the unit was in good shape. This is all after I had agreed to buy it of course.
realpank is offline   Reply With Quote