Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
I live three miles from IKEA and I am in there at least every two weeks buying cabinets for customers. I'm a cabinet assembler as well as a cabinet maker

I love most of their designs and steer people away from only a few of their cheapest products. Applying a good sealing coating to them during assembly, and machining out hidden areas to reduce weight without compromising strength would address all my concerns about using IKEA kits in an Airstream.

And it would certainly be better quality and nicer looking than anything original in a 70s or older Airstream!

In time, when I do my next refurbishment, I'll post a full photo guide of how to modify IKEA cabinets to reduce weight and increase strength. Saving 15 lbs per cabinet across six cabinets is 90lbs of extra stuff you can haul with you

I too have been looking at Ikea cabinets for my Airstream and think "Dave Park" here has made the best point. Cut out the pieces so that they are just a skeleton, as I believe SmokelessJoe did. That leaves you with exposed pressboard fibers, but couldn't you seal them in a polyurethane so that everything is sealed against moisture?
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Absolutely. Polyerethane is good, and Thomspon Waterseal is also a suitable product to use on these types of boards where they're not visible to the customer. It's very important to treat hidden particle boards and paper products, because humidity and moisture don't care about line of sight
Old 06-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
New member Bungalowife wrote to ask how the IKEA was holding up over the miles....

The answer is fine. As a matter of fact, Phil, the Wiltsie employee who helped me so, so much in the early stages of the rebuild 5 or 6 years ago saw the finished thing for the first time about a week ago, when I was out at the Aylmer Fairgrounds.

" My God" he proclaimed." This is just fantastic. It looks so fresh and new that it's hard to believe anyone's been in here all these years."

My opinion about things hasn't changed from post #9 above.

(The hinge problem was cured with a little squirt of Lock-Tite).

I must say that one of the reasons that my trailer looks so great is the matching cabinetry made for me by DavidsonOverlander. His under-the-gaucho pull outs are really cool. You can't tell were the IKEA begins or ends; the interior is all of a piece.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Thank You for the update; Glad to hear that all of your hard work has passed the test of time. [looks great] Will there be an update on the Diesel aspect of your trailer too?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
On a side note, some IKEA kitchen cabinets need added reinforcement to support granite countertops. I would think about possible humidity and moisture in the pressed wood. What happens to this in a hard freeze. I would expect delamination. Only under intense pressure from my wife will I enter as IKEA store. The footprints on the floor drive me crazy. I do like the ginger cookies though. And the wine glasses. I break so many of them quality isn't much of an issue with me.

Dan
Old 06-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Foothill Ranch , California
I used 3 Ikea glass doors, 4 Rational drawers, the garbage container drawer and the 1" wooden counter top to build my own kitchen.
I did not use the particle board cabinetry however and opted instead to building the frame out of solid maple. To reduce weight on the counter top, I removed lots of material on the under side using a router.
After 6 month and a couple of trips, it seems to hold up quite nicely and i sure looks good. Check out my pictures.
EuroAir is offline   Reply With Quote