Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
ID help requested

I would like to see if someone might help me narrow down the year and model of this argosy motor home. It sits in the same storage lot as my international series and the owner I am told is sick and no longer uses it. It's badged with a 454 (Chevy I assume?)

Thanks,

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1416678934079.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	227151  
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The VIN number should be in the windshield. If so call Jackson Center and ask.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
I would like to see if someone might help me narrow down the year and model of this argosy motor home. It sits in the same storage lot as my international series and the owner I am told is sick and no longer uses it. It's badged with a 454 (Chevy I assume?)

Thanks,

Ian
The chassis number is where Howie said.

But, that is a useless number if you call Airstream. Their records don't show chassis numbers back then.

The Airstream factory serial number is located under the hood.

Standing outside, facing the coach, open the hood, look for the left hand side pillar next to the radiator.

You will see a 4 inch vertical strip of aluminum riveted to that pillar.

That, is your Argosy serial number.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Are you sure it's not a 1979 Airstream? It says "Airstream" on the front, some of the early '79 models were painted like Argosies. If it really IS an Argosy with Airstream badging, it looks like a 1978 model.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Fred's Airstream Archives - Motorhome Class A History - ViewRVs.com
Fred's Airstream Archives - Motorhome Class A History
Fred's Airstream Archives - Airstream Class A Motorhome History. ... very good units but do not have all of the bells and whistles that the Airstream models have.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Are you sure it's not a 1979 Airstream? It says "Airstream" on the front, some of the early '79 models were painted like Argosies. If it really IS an Argosy with Airstream badging, it looks like a 1978 model.
You are very right then! I was of the thought the argosy would be badged airstream - and the paint took me in. Further, the paint is flaked off the rear end cap and i looked more steel in nature than aluminum - but it may just be the patina. It then is an Airstream motor home. probably a 28' by the looks of it? Supposedly the motor runs well, but I am sure the vehicle would require a ground up rennovation to bring it back to full working order.

Thanks!

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
You are very right then! I was of the thought the argosy would be badged airstream - and the paint took me in. Further, the paint is flaked off the rear end cap and i looked more steel in nature than aluminum - but it may just be the patina. It then is an Airstream motor home. probably a 28' by the looks of it? Supposedly the motor runs well, but I am sure the vehicle would require a ground up renovation to bring it back to full working order.

Thanks!

Ian
The end caps on those motor homes were steel, no matter whose name ended up on them.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Ian,

That is a 1978 Argosy that someone has re-branded as an Airstream. The paint scheme gives it away. It is not that uncommon to see Argosy units painted and re-branded.

Yes, the front and rear caps on an Argosy are galvanized steel. If there is any doubt, you can do the "magnet test". If a magnet sticks, it is galvanized steel. The Airstream units have aluminum front and rear caps.

Based on the windows, it is a center bath and rear bedroom floorplan. The rear would have either twin beds or a rear "salon" (convertible sitting area).

The Argosy units do have a few less bells and whistles but are still very solid units. For example, none of the Argosy motorhomes have leveling jacks or remote start water heaters. The Argosy units have steel rims where many of the Airstream units have Alcoa aluminum rims. Both are built on Chevy P-30 truck chassis. They are good solid units and you can usually get them for far less than the Airstream counterparts.

On an Argosy, the Chevy chassis VIN (used for the title) is in the engine compartment wall (upper left). The Argosy serial number is on the driver's side dash but only visible from the outside window. It is a sticker so many of them have fallen off!

There are a few rare examples of actual painted Airstream units (1979) but those have this paint pattern. I refer them them as transition units. Here is another example.

I hope that helps! Here is a link to my Argosy motorhome page.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote