Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1987 32.5' Airstream 325
Windsor , Ontario
HELP! Heater core leaking

I just took my 1976 Argosy out for a "Pre-trip" spin(cheap gas before the long weekend, air for tires etc.) and I could smell anti-freeze. Well lo and behold it was dripping out near my feet as I was pumping gas. It is coming from the heater box(at least that's what I think it is) at the front passenger side. No holes in the hoses, coming out of the box.

Is that the heater core?(Sure does look lik it with a hose going in and a hose going out)

Can I bypass the heater core by connecting those two hoses together? And drive through the summer heat this weekend?

If not this what suggestions can the collected masses offer. Yes, it will need to be fixed(best place to buy one? re-cored and tested locally?)

Like to leave on Friday and dread leaving it behind in place of the mini-van!

Thanks in advance,
Chris
realpank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Yes, you can bypass the heater core. I did it on my '68 Mustang for a Summer, while deciding how deep I wanted to dig in addition to a new core. The difficulty in changing out the core is in getting access to it in the cabin. Once you can get to it, the swap is easy.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Easy to bypass - go to Home Depot, Lowes or your favorite hardware store and get two BRASS barb fittings that fit the hose size and the necessary brass pipe fittings to make a U and just connect the hose ends in the engine compartment to make a complete circuit.

The heater core as a unit is available - it's the access that will get the best of you. More time in disassembly and re-assembly than the actual swap of the part. Someone may say to have the old one rebuilt - pass on that and get a new build to keep from having to do it twice. Replace the hoses, thermostat, etc..... and the antifreeze.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
I have to assume you are talking about your tow vehicle's heater core that's leaking. We by passed the core and connected the hoses together on the older cars with no problem. You don't say what your TV is and I don't know if there are any computer sensors or some strange things on some newer vehicles. Somebody familiar with your particular vehicle should know if there might be a problem.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1987 32.5' Airstream 325
Windsor , Ontario
Cheers to all Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies and encouragment...bypass it is!

BTW: It is and Argosy "pusher" not a tower: 1976 24' with rear double bed...love it!

Chris
realpank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #6

1975 24' Argosy 24
Oakville , Ontario
Hey Chris I got the 24 rear double with bunk over and my wife and our three kids love it. i had a heater core leak last year as well. i was able to see where it was squirting out by removing the covers in front of the passenger seat. Then i mixed up some jbweld and a little on the runny side and used a stick to get it to the back and run over the heater core. had to do it twice to seal the leak but it has been good ever since. i love jb weld and my argosy.
Blessings
jgwild is offline   Reply With Quote