Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Furnace replacement 1978 Argosy MH 26 ft

I need to replace my old suburban heater in my 1978 Argosy motorhome. I have looked through the treads on here and haven't found what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions on brands to replace it with?

What will I need to know in order to purchase a new one? Dimensions of the old one?

I honestly don't even know where to start. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
blogworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogworthy View Post
I need to replace my old suburban heater in my 1978 Argosy motorhome. I have looked through the treads on here and haven't found what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions on brands to replace it with?

What will I need to know in order to purchase a new one? Dimensions of the old one?

I honestly don't even know where to start. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
I would recommend replacing it with the same size Suburban furnace. It should pretty much be a bolt in replacement.

To order a replacement you need to know what model number it is. Odds are its an NT20 or NT30 depending on the length of your motorhome.

Once you determine size then find the a source for the replacement and also get the size specs for the new one. Compare the old and new sizes. They should be close enough in size that it should just fit in place.

Keep in mind removing the old furnace won't be a simple task. It will take some work and more than likely a few choice words to extract the old one.

Good luck!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
I have a brand new Suburban NT 30 in the box with block off plates for the round outlets.
It's the same size as the NT 22 it was to replace.
I changed plans after I got it and decided not to install a furnace.

I got it from http://www.VintageTrailerSupply.com back in 2013.
Attached Images

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
I have a brand new Suburban NT 30 in the box with block off plates for the round outlets.
It's the same size as the NT 22 it was to replace.
I changed plans after I got it and decided not to install a furnace.

I got it from http://www.VintageTrailerSupply.com back in 2013.

Hi! Thank you for your reply. Is the heater you have for sale or were you just providing a resource?
Old 08-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I would recommend replacing it with the same size Suburban furnace. It should pretty much be a bolt in replacement.

To order a replacement you need to know what model number it is. Odds are its an NT20 or NT30 depending on the length of your motorhome.

Once you determine size then find the a source for the replacement and also get the size specs for the new one. Compare the old and new sizes. They should be close enough in size that it should just fit in place.

Keep in mind removing the old furnace won't be a simple task. It will take some work and more than likely a few choice words to extract the old one.

Good luck!

Brad

The tag says NT-34SP
Old 08-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Boy oh boy, just looked at prices for a replacement for your unit.....whoa, they've gone up quite a bit over the last few years. I think I paid about $400 for my nt30sp just 3 years ago. This isn't the best time of year to be buying a furnace because we are entering the heating season. If you can put it off till spring you may see some better prices or sales. Do your best to match your btu and the exterior vent holes so you don't have to cut new holes in the skin and then patch the old ones. It looks like you can get an exact match to me. Just Google suburban NT-30sp and you'll get numerous vendors.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Thx all. I called Suburban directly and they were sooo nice and sooo helpful! At no surprise, the model I had was fazed out a long time ago.

I ended up purchasing a new Suburban heater from American RV and they were also soo nice and helpful.

Also want to plug vintage Trailer supply, so nice, so helpful, and someone answers the phone when u call!

So far nothing but honest people, willing to help where they can!

Thanks so much fellow Airstream travelers!