Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2014, 06:10 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
Fresh water tank sensor

A while back I purchased 2 used 18 gallon holding tanks for my fresh water, since my Argosy did not come with them. The issue is that I have no idea how to hook them up to the control panel over the stove, any ideas?

Each of my tanks has 4 points which allow for something to be screwed or snapped in. Two are at the bottom, one in the middle, and one towards the top. I plan to have sensors in both tanks and switch between the two tanks as needed. One of the tanks I plan to keep permanent in the RV and the other will be removable to allow for more storage.
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprokop87 View Post
A while back I purchased 2 used 18 gallon holding tanks for my fresh water, since my Argosy did not come with them. The issue is that I have no idea how to hook them up to the control panel over the stove, any ideas?

Each of my tanks has 4 points which allow for something to be screwed or snapped in. Two are at the bottom, one in the middle, and one towards the top. I plan to have sensors in both tanks and switch between the two tanks as needed. One of the tanks I plan to keep permanent in the RV and the other will be removable to allow for more storage.
One on the bottom is for the "common wire".

The other 3 are for the amount of water in the tank, ie, low, medium, high or 1/3, 2/3, full.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
Thanks Andy but what exactly do I plug into there? Is there some type of module I need to buy or construct? Or should there be a harness hidden in the wall somewhere?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy but what exactly do I plug into there? Is there some type of module I need to buy or construct? Or should there be a harness hidden in the wall somewhere?
There should be some wires already near the tank.

Those wires go to the control panel.

But, a previous owner could have altered the entire setup.

Andy
Old 02-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
I should also mention that when I got my Argosy, there was nothing in the back room. No tanks, bed, nor water heater.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
Thanks Andy, I will take a look tonight.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
So I checked my setup and I only have two wires, not 4 like the tanks that I purchased. Can anyone provide feedback on what type of sensor would connect to that? I am assuming that it is some sort of a resistive sensor with a float in the tank but I do not have any of that.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
So I checked my setup and I only have two wires, not 4 like the tanks that I purchased. Can anyone provide feedback on what type of sensor would connect to that? I am assuming that it is some sort of a resistive sensor with a float in the tank but I do not have any of that.
Airstream "never" used any tank that had floats, except for the LPG tanks.

Andy
Old 02-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Hey Andy, while you're on the line I wanted to ask you a question about my fresh water sensor on my 06 19' Bambi which hasn't worked since I bought it in June. We do boon dock a lot but it's not that big a deal to me as we're pretty good now at monitoring our usage and I always carry extra water. Is it just a matter of a new sensor and is it a simple fix?
Mark
Old 02-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markj55 View Post
Hey Andy, while you're on the line I wanted to ask you a question about my fresh water sensor on my 06 19' Bambi which hasn't worked since I bought it in June. We do boon dock a lot but it's not that big a deal to me as we're pretty good now at monitoring our usage and I always carry extra water. Is it just a matter of a new sensor and is it a simple fix?
Mark
Usually.

Andy
Old 02-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I have never seen an Argosy with a control panel with tank sensors. My 77 does not have it, my friends 75 does not have it, and all the other ones I have looked at never have a control panel. Was it optional?
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:48 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
I am not sure if it is optional. Mine has the original panel that has level sensors for the fresh water, grey water, black water, roadside LP and curbside LP. It also has info about the coach batteries and switches for the water pump and the range fan. I had a picture of it somewhere but cannot seem to find it
Old 02-20-2014, 05:51 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
So i managed to solve my issue with how the tank sensors report a voltage back to the main panel of the RV, it uses one of these... KIB MICRO MONITOR TANK RESISTOR SENSOR.

They were all over ebay but I stopped into Ballantyne RV near my house and asked the guys there about them. I walked out $5 poorer but at least i will know the level in my tank. To solve my problem about switching between the two stacked tanks, I am actually going to lay them on the same level. This way I can tie them in parallel and the level will always be the same in two tanks, only requiring one KIB sensor.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Quote:
I am not sure if it is optional. Mine has the original panel that has level sensors for the fresh water, grey water, black water, roadside LP and curbside LP. It also has info about the coach batteries and switches for the water pump and the range fan. I had a picture of it somewhere but cannot seem to find it
One again I got caught thinking trailer, and you are talking motor home. My fault.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
I didn't know that they would have different panels for the two. I would think the only difference would be for the generator

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Airstream Forums mobile app