Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
La Porte , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to Darel
Crank-up antenna/Digital era

Does anyone use there crank-up antenna in this new digital era? Does it work alright? I was thinking of hooking mine up to a digital/analog converter box and see what happens (I haven't bought a digital ready TV for the RV yet). Heres the problem: I need to run new coaxial from the antenna down to the interior wall hook ups. What is the goop that they used to seal holes and seams on the roof? Is there a current replacement goop?
Attached Images

Darel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I just used mine today & it works great. The "goop" you should use is Tempro--formerly called Vulkem. You can get it at Vintage Trailer Supply. We ran a new coaxial when we bought the trailer about 4 years ago & that made a huge difference. I got more channels at the campground than my sister-in-law who has some sort of batwing.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Those antennas work great! I've been using one for years. The antennas don't know or care whether the signal is digital or analog. Don't know what the goop is, but my first guess would be Vulkem. According to Vintage Trailer Supply, the original is no longer available, but the new version is TremPro 635.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
The answer is yes, the antenna will work with digital signal.

I replaced a tv in my trailer a few weeks ago with a digital. I get 23 channels when parked at home. I got only one channel last week while parked in the mountains. So it depends on where you are at, as to what your reception will be. Also the factory installed amplifier does great with the digital signal.

I was on top of the trailer checking the wires and antenna mount, etc., and found I needed some sealant. I stopped by Out of Doors Mart to ask what I should use. They said use Vulkem, then sold me Trem-Pro635.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you have a new television, it's probably a flat screen. It will have a digital tuner. Just hook it up and you're good to go. If you have an old unit with a cathode ray tube it's probably analog. You will pay half the price of a new 13"or 14" digital unit just to get an A to D converter. Go digital.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darel View Post
Heres the problem: I need to run new coaxial from the antenna down to the interior wall hook ups. What is the goop that they used to seal holes and seams on the roof? Is there a current replacement goop?
I think you are wise to replace the old cabling, Darel. The connectivity doesn't improve with age, plus the old flat 300 ohm "twin lead", which is what my trailer is set up for, is not longer used. That means adding a 75 to 300 ohm balun somewhere, which again is one more connection point that will corrode.

The good news is that the modern digital signal is captured quite well by the old style antennae. So if you have a modern TV with the new style tuner, hook it up and off you go!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:07 AM   #7
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Goop! Ask for it by name!

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I stopped by Out of Doors Mart to ask what I should use. They said use Vulkem, then sold me Trem-Pro635.
The company seems to use the names and terms interchangeably. I pulled a tube of Vulkem off the shelf yesterday, and it was labeled Trem-Pro 635. Last week, I pulled a tube of Trem-Pro 635 off the shelf, and it was labeled Vulkem.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2002 31' Classic
Troy , Ohio
You can get a transformer that has a coax connector at one end and twin leads at the other end. Attach the leads to the antenna where the old ribbon wire is connected; use the same screws. The coax wire will make a big difference.
rmk110761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #10
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Those antennas work great! I've been using one for years. The antennas don't know or care whether the signal is digital or analog. Don't know what the goop is, but my first guess would be Vulkem. According to Vintage Trailer Supply, the original is no longer available, but the new version is TremPro 635.
Just ordered a tube of Vulkem from Amazon. Hope it's the real stuff!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Correct caulk product for the application

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The company seems to use the names and terms interchangeably. I pulled a tube of Vulkem off the shelf yesterday, and it was labeled Trem-Pro 635. Last week, I pulled a tube of Trem-Pro 635 off the shelf, and it was labeled Vulkem.
Terry,
When I bought the caulk at your sales counter, I noticed someone had written with a marker right on the TremPro 635 tube, "Vulkem". So I assumed exactly what you said, you use the products interchangeably.

I read the Trempro specs for several of their urethane caulks this week and found they make several similar urethane caulks, but not all of them are reccomended for trailer applications. Anyone buying this brand of caulk should take time to read those specs, since some, like TremPro 636, are not reccomended for use on trailers. Trempro 635 and Trempro 650 are specifically formulated for trailer repair. It says this right in the specs.

I read on other threads in this forum that some people are using the Trempro 636 material, since they saved a few $ per tube. I do not understand taking that risk after spending big $ on a rebuild.

I wonder, does anyone have long term experience with 635 vs: 636? Any Trempro reps out there in this fourm?

Alan
Old 06-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
La Porte , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler

Just ordered a tube of Vulkem from Amazon. Hope it's the real stuff!
What type (#) Vulkem did you order on Amazon? How long of a shelf life does it gave? Any idea?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darel View Post
What type (#) Vulkem did you order on Amazon? How long of a shelf life does it gave? Any idea?

If you put it in the freezer it will last a long time I only do that with open tubes...wrap them in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer, haul it out the night before you are ready to use it. I have a 3 year old tube in there that I took out last week and it thawed right out.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
plano , Texas
I would definitely replace your wire that is pictured. The 90 degree bend shown in your second picture implies the shielding is deteriorated. You will get inconsistent operation with varying levels of moisture.

-t
tschat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
If you put it in the freezer it will last a long time I only do that with open tubes...wrap them in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer, haul it out the night before you are ready to use it. I have a 3 year old tube in there that I took out last week and it thawed right out.

Aaron
Aaron,
Thanks for sharing this bit of info. I'll freeze my open tube in the morning!
Alan
Old 06-30-2011, 04:04 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
La Porte , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschat View Post
I would definitely replace your wire that is pictured. The 90 degree bend shown in your second picture implies the shielding is deteriorated. You will get inconsistent operation with varying levels of moisture.

-t
Yes, if I want to use the antenna, the twin wire has to be replaced. Not only is the shielding broke at the 90, but one wire is also broke.
There are other parts of the antenna that need attention also. Some of the aluminum tubing is broke off and a couple scissor/pivot points are loose/unattached and not allowing the tubing to extend.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
Dover , Delaware
Replacing antenna coax

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
We ran a new coaxial when we bought the trailer about 4 years ago & that made a huge difference. I got more channels at the campground than my sister-in-law who has some sort of batwing.
Was on AS roof today working on antenna -- couldn't get it raised. Little lube accomplished that, but in process found that coax is not in good condx. Can see that braid is frayed. What is involved in replacing coax down to the booster. Have '86 Excella, 32'. Booster is on road side between 1st & 2nd windows.

Thanks.

RB
rbhinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have the original antenna manual and mine says that it is a VHF/FM antenna only. It might work with UHF to some extent but I can't see it being optimum for UHF.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote