Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1977 20' Argosy 20
Hope to roam free again soon , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 72
Cockpit window treatments 1979 20 ft ideas

Hiya Folks!

I am looking for cockpit specific curtain/shades pictures and ideas for Dream Boat. I have used the search function on here and my googlefu. I seem to get everything except window coverings.

Dream Boat gets a lot of attention when he is mobile which is erratic at best right now. The most common thing I see is the cupped hand/face pressed against the glass to see inside while we fuel up or find ourselves broken down testing repairs and running gear in a parking lot. One really dedicated individual followed us around for a bit. I can tell we are going to need a privacy solution when we are roaming free or even parked in the driveway.

I have the original curtain rail if I need to hang a curtain. I would love to see pics of what other people use. Ideas needed. Show me your solutions!

Thanks, Shanna
__________________

Foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:10 AM   #2
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbrook View Post
Hiya Folks!

I am looking for cockpit specific curtain/shades pictures and ideas for Dream Boat. I have used the search function on here and my googlefu. I seem to get everything except window coverings.

Dream Boat gets a lot of attention when he is mobile which is erratic at best right now. The most common thing I see is the cupped hand/face pressed against the glass to see inside while we fuel up or find ourselves broken down testing repairs and running gear in a parking lot. One really dedicated individual followed us around for a bit. I can tell we are going to need a privacy solution when we are roaming free or even parked in the driveway.

I have the original curtain rail if I need to hang a curtain. I would love to see pics of what other people use. Ideas needed. Show me your solutions!

Thanks, Shanna
Walmart black-out curtains (Pewter so dark silver inside/white from outside) back and front with original track. Cost more for the replacement elasticated T-slides than for the curtains.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-19 13.14.11.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	334369

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-18 15.03.49.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	334370

Press stud for tie back when not in use and to pin back the curtain when 'drawn'
__________________

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1977 20' Argosy 20
Hope to roam free again soon , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 72
Martin,
Those look very nice and tidy and afford some privacy. Thank you for the pictures. I like that the back facing out is white so the heat load might be a bit less too. Your motorhome is just awesome!
Foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbrook View Post
Martin,
Those look very nice and tidy and afford some privacy. Thank you for the pictures. I like that the back facing out is white so the heat load might be a bit less too. Your motorhome is just awesome!
Thank you

There are at least two companies making pleated curtains for Airstream pano windows that also could make the same for the cockpit, but we decided they were too 'fancy'!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:41 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1977 20' Argosy 20
Hope to roam free again soon , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 72
Hi Martin,
I like the simplicity of the unpleated ones. I was thinking the less volume of fabric would allow them seat and tie back in a lower profile bundle. Do you find it fairly secure if the side window is open?
Thanks,
Shanna
Foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #6
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbrook View Post
Hi Martin,
I like the simplicity of the unpleated ones. I was thinking the less volume of fabric would allow them seat and tie back in a lower profile bundle. Do you find it fairly secure if the side window is open?
Thanks,
Shanna
Yes, they stay in the tie back without any issue.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:36 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1977 20' Argosy 20
Hope to roam free again soon , North Carolina
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 72
That is great! My husband was worried they would flap and clack while going down the road with windows open. He has suggested a fitted pad that adheres using snaps and that can be removed and put away.

I definitely don't have the sewing skills for that and that is why I put out the call for pictures. Thanks for posting yours for me!
Shanna
Foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:36 AM   #8
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbrook View Post
That is great! My husband was worried they would flap and clack while going down the road with windows open. He has suggested a fitted pad that adheres using snaps and that can be removed and put away.

I definitely don't have the sewing skills for that and that is why I put out the call for pictures. Thanks for posting yours for me!
Shanna
You definitely need a tie back Shanna. All I did was add a stainless steel press stud connector to the wall and either the tie back pushes onto the stud, or I remove the tie back and the curtain itself has the same press stud connector to keep the curtains against the wall when used at night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-06 17.49.38.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	334659
__________________

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1965 Tradewind-Looking for window treatments & new upholstry Murdock Member Introductions 4 01-08-2018 07:36 PM
Window Treatments / Valance Boxes BAB Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 6 01-10-2013 08:35 PM
If Price Was Not Important, What Window Treatments... obxgal Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 9 11-05-2009 06:47 AM
Window treatments for our "new" 87 Excella 34' tslanier Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 4 06-17-2006 09:29 PM
Airstream window treatments competition idahosafari Our Community 0 02-23-2004 12:19 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.