Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 20' Argosy 20
Basalt , Colorado
Central Control Panel

None of the gauges work in the Central Control Panel of my '74 Argosy 20. The gauge lights work (except the red water pump power light), the water pump switch & generator switch both work, the hood fan works, but all of the gauges register zero. I have been living in the Argosy and have it plugged in full time and hadn't realized that my Univolt battery is bad, only has about 4 volts - could that be the problem? I assumed that the Univolt system didn't matter when the RV is plugged in, maybe that's wrong?
Thanks.
Snowturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowturtle View Post
None of the gauges work in the Central Control Panel of my '74 Argosy 20. The gauge lights work (except the red water pump power light), the water pump switch & generator switch both work, the hood fan works, but all of the gauges register zero. I have been living in the Argosy and have it plugged in full time and hadn't realized that my Univolt battery is bad, only has about 4 volts - could that be the problem? I assumed that the Univolt system didn't matter when the RV is plugged in, maybe that's wrong?
Thanks.
Do you have a copy of the 74 Argosy Owners manual? In the manual there is a copy of how the wiring is laid out for the control panel. If you don't have a copy I can scan the wiring diagram and post it here.

If your coach still has the original univolt installed I would highly recommend replacing it with a Progressive Dynamics 9645 power supply. The old univolts are notorious for over charging batteries which ruins them. The Progressive Dynamics are really good at maintaining a proper battery charge.

Since you are continuously plugged into shore power then your univolt was constantly charging the battery which I'm sure is what caused it to go bad.

I don't know that the univolt/battery issue is what's causing your control panel issues but getting the 12 volt system in order would be a good start.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
The control panel needs 12v power, if you've only got 4v then it's not going to work. 4v is a sign that the univolt is either not plugged in and on or is broken and not charging the battery. Replacement is a good investment.
If the battery is at 4v it is DEAD. Will need replacement, but don't waste money on a new one until you've got something working to keep it charged.
Replacing a univolt is pretty straight forward. More so if the 12v fuse panel is separate.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1974 20' Argosy 20
Basalt , Colorado
Thanks for the info! I'll look into the Univolt system when I get home.
Snowturtle is offline   Reply With Quote