Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #1

Pointes aux Outardes , Quebec
Best diesel motor/tranny

Which is the best diesel engine and tranny to put in A20
YeKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:36 AM   #2

Pointes aux Outardes , Quebec
Please help me because i want to by a Argosy 1975 20' with a 350. A diesel engin dos it fit .

Excuse my english I french Quebecer !!!!
YeKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Since your not getting an answer, you may have to ask the same question on a truck forum. You mentioned a 350 I assume it is a Chevy chassis? I don't know what an A20 is. I'm not sure there is an easy swap from a gas engine to a diesel without a lot of frame work and mounting options on any model.
Maybe the best place to ask is DieselPlace.com. There are lots of gearheads on that site who may know.
I like the preformance of the 6.6L Duramax diesel mated with the Allison automatic 6 speed trany in my pick up truck. It is everything I want from an engine and trany.
Good luck finding your answers.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Keep in mind that the medium duty diesels are much heavier and somewhat larger than a gas V8. While such swaps are doable for skilled someone who's a skilled mechanic and fabricator and understands modern vehicle electronic control systems, it's a major project. Expect extensive work on other parts of the vehicle, including the cooling, exhaust, electrical and fuel systems. A successful approach will probably require more research, planning and design time than shop time.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote