Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
San antonio , Texas
Argosy purchase???

Looking to purchase a 1975 24' Argosy we saw yesterday. Would love to get any feedback about price, etc.

Seller asking $25K. He's gutted it, and done his own cabinetry, flooring, etc.
He put in new a lot of new items (too many to list all here). Like with most things, pictures look better than real life. We can figure a good offer, based on what we read from other listings of current units for sale similar across the country, but there are only a handful.

The highs are new axles (Dexter 4,500# ea) and electric brakes, wheels, tires (10-ply load E), electric jack, new/big water, grey, black tanks, 2 Fantastic Fans, everything "works" no leaks. Jumped on rear bumper and very slight (less than 1") deflection from body. New subfloor, floor, slight spring everywhere since he put in two layers of foam(?). AC unit he says is commercial grade (?) which works and is very cold, but fan always runs when on, just regulates temp thru thermostat. Underneath, the pan has missing rivets and several pieces revited up, and I expect to do some caulking there for piece of mind if nothing else. Replaced batteries and moved new ones up front, now 4 new 6-volt golf cart batteries (is this a good thing?). Ammeter works, but display is poor and hard to read, and needs a pen point or similar to change screens. Fridge works, but is original and old. Oven works, but handle is missing. 4-burners work, but the vent hood is kind of missing, just left with the mechanism and doesn't work

Originally was rear bath, but he moved it to middle of unit on right side and made a queen bed in the back. Split the shower and toilet area into two separate compartments. replaced sink and faucet, counter top, etc. Front dinette is OK, but we will need to rework so we can make it a bed.

Exterior looks great from about 20 yards, painted white, but closer inspection is the paint is only OK, missing some parts, awnings should be there and other than the main and rear, they are not, and I am not completely sure the main works as described. Should, but I see a small C-clamp placed about midway on the front arm of the main awning, so I wonder what the hell that is.

Plan to make an offer today or tomorrow, pending a full mechanical inspection. Wife has NEVER been in an Airstream and was unsetted by how small it felt to her.

I know we are buying a money pit, but we love vintage housing, and making things our own. We are remodelers, not restorers (hope I don't offend anyone at 8 am). But are we overpaying at $18-$21K? Are we truly insane?

No TOW vehicle yet. No Argosy yet. That may change ina couple of days.
Whit461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Whit461

The price sounds high especially for an Argosy but what bothers me the most is the sellers lack of attention to detail especially considering all the changes he has made. What bothers me is that he has done a lot of work yet he is selling a trailer that still needs numerous things fixed.

I would not act on this trailer yet. I recommend posting photos to get some feedback and getting an inspection from someone knowledgeable in Airstream vintage trailers. It is easy to buy an Airstream, not so easy to buy a good one. Kind of like finding a mate.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
For that kind of price you should not have to do any upgrades or repairs. He has done a lot of great repairs but has not paid attention to the little things that matter. Old frig and oven missing handle, these are major appliances if these have not be replaced, you will be. From what you posted you'll invest another 5 to 7k. I'd pass on this one, for that kind of money you can find one completely done and done well.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Victoria , British Columbia
Does sound high. We bought a 76 20' for 7k (Canadian) with all appliances except furnace and partially gutted. Finishing rewiring now and panels to be installed with new millwork to be constructed. We repainted and some new perks and currently in it for another 2-3k.

Not sure what your level of skill is for a rebuild, so if you can do most of the work yourself as we have, you can save some money there.

Good luck, and look forward to seeing comes of it.
A-squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
argosy purchase???

I might question some of the decisions the seller has made. The original bathroom, I believe, was probably a pretty good design. I know that my rear bath in my 66 24’ Tradewind is. The seller’s new bathroom may not be as good as the original.

How are his cabinet making skills?

Two golf cart batteries are good, but 4 may be over kill. We have two GC batteries and can easily go 5 days without any recharge. Has the seller done much camping in this remodeled Argosy?

I question his decision on 4,500 Lb axles. This is way too stiff imho. I installed new axles in my 66, see Dan’s 66 Tradewind Improvements, and I installed new 3,500 Lb axles derated to 2,500 lbs.

Like Wally says, make improvements not just changes.

Since you like vintage, go to a vintage rally or just an Airstream rally. You will see and learn a lot.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Whit461
Check your private messages.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:18 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
San antonio , Texas
Thanks all for the feedback. The trailer is south of Dallas. How could I could someone who is savy with Argosys to inspect it and make some recommendations? I am ready to punt or throw a long hail Mary.
Whit461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Too many red flags...walk away.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Seller Here

I'm the seller/owner of the trailer that Whit was asking about. He didn't pursue the purchase and that's OK. I saw this thread and thought that it is always good to hear comments and criticism on someones work. I'm adding some photos in case any one wanted to see what was being discussed.

It seems I can't figure out how to get photos on the forums anymore....here is a link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ghe0kpiDekTwqdbp2

I've had a few people check out the trailer. No purchase yet, which tells me the price is likely high. I wish I could say I am gonna make bank if I do sell the trailer. That's not the case! My motivation for selling is to then purchase a larger trailer and then do the same restoration that I've done on this one. If this one doesn't sell, then that's OK too, I'll just have to get used to the size.

As far as "red flags" or my lack of attention to detail...I would say that just isn't true! Yes, there are some things I haven't done or replaced. After living in a new Airstream for more than a year, I redid this trailer for long-term boondocking, hence the reasons for the larger axles, much larger tanks, larger bed, etc.

Anyway, check out the photos and I'll definitely listen to any advice or things I should be doing differently. Whit, I'm sure you'll find the trailer for you man, hang in there!

B
bambibooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Elk Rapids , Michigan
I think we're all hoping you get 25k for your trailer, we know how much work it takes to fix these things up.

One question on your battery installation, how do you vent them outside to keep hydrogen gas from building up?

Cheers,

John
matthewsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsx View Post
I think we're all hoping you get 25k for your trailer, we know how much work it takes to fix these things up.

One question on your battery installation, how do you vent them outside to keep hydrogen gas from building up?

Cheers,

John
John,

I put a hole in the wall and built a wood box around the batteries under the dinette booth seat. It is then vented through the airstream wall to the oiutside , ala the standard RV valterra vent system. I sealed up the box with HVAC tape on the edges.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:44 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
We all make choices in our work on these to suit our personal needs/usage, some more marketable and offer better return than others. I’m wrestling with some of those decisions myself at the moment.

What was the rationale for your choice in axles?
Old 05-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonsdad View Post
We all make choices in our work on these to suit our personal needs/usage, some more marketable and offer better return than others. I’m wrestling with some of those decisions myself at the moment.

What was the rationale for your choice in axles?
I hear ya on the personal usage/needs thing.

As far as axles go:

I replaced all of the old thin cabinetry and built the new ones with sanded plywood, plus I added two 40 gallon tanks in the belly pan under the axles which when full will add about 660 lbs more to the center of the trailer. I went with the "residence" style toilet which is ceramic, and my sinks are now ceramic as well, and the Trojan 6v are on the inside, etc. A lot of little things that might weigh more than the old axles could have handled.

I had actually planned to put a washer/dryer combo in the "wardrobe/closet" I built. I built it with the dimensions in mind...

Plus, again, we bring a lot of stuff with us when we go out in the trailer since we boondock for weeks at a time.

I was concerned that the amount of "extra" weight I added to the trailer would be too much. I have taken the trailer to Big Bend so far and haven't noticed any problems with the axles. I even did a test where I put easily movable items like a roll of paper towels on the counter to see how she performed. The towels didn't flinch.

I should say I haven't weighed the trailer yet, so I'm not sure exactly how much it weighs.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Bambibooth,
I looked at all your photos. You have certainly done a lot of repairs and upgrades. I like what you have done. As a matter of fact, I'm doing a lot of the same things you did: moved the bath to the center, new bigger tanks, same toilet and new cabinetry. You've done a great job. I'm considering bigger axles too but will be the last thing I replace. I plan on weighting after I'm done just before ordering axles to make sure it's needed. To get the price you want, I'd replace the frig and oven.
What did you use for your backsplash and shower?
Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Carleton , Michigan
Bambibooth,

If you were paid for the time you spent on that trailer- it would exceed your asking price, no doubt.

You did some really beautiful work. As mentioned previously, so many of the choices made are personal preference- so no criticism here.

I hope you get what you need from it. Thanks for rescueing an Argosy that looked in really rough shape when you started

Shawn
Argosy man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:13 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugjenkins View Post
Bambibooth,

What did you use for your backsplash and shower?
I used waterproof vinyl sheeting for the backsplash and shower. There a lot of different styles out there, some that look a lot like "tile". In the shower area, the edges are overlapped and then caulked. I read about some apartment complexes and rentals doing this in their shower areas and it works well.

I've periodically checked for leakage behind the wall and under the shower and haven't seen any so far.

I've been telling anyone interested in the trailer that it is something they should always keep an eye on. Even the fiberglass that Airstream uses now can leak. Or, in the case of the original design, it almost always leaks in the rear corner.