Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,118
Argosy motorhome vin numbers

A few weeks ago I stumbled across the Argosy trailer vin number thread where an attempt is being made to capture Argosy trailer vin numbers.

This got me thinking (dangerous I know!) about the motorhome vin numbers that I have been keeping track of. I decided to combine the lists and noticed a couple of oddities. It seems trailer numbers and motorhome numbers were assigned more or less in blocks and the same applies to the units produced in California. Anyway if you're interested you can read all about it in the attached link.

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,540
Very interesting Brad

Is it OK if I share on the Airstream Argosy Owners group on Facebook?
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Very interesting Brad

Is it OK if I share on the Airstream Argosy Owners group on Facebook?
Sure. If anyone has vin numbers they want to share I'd like to know what they are.
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
WayneG's Avatar
 
1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,082
My 77 24 footer had this for a vin:
CPY3773306277
The vin for the 77 20 foot Yelo Sub was

CPY3773306051
226 "argosies" younger than the 24 footer
__________________
Do not take life too seriously.
You will never get out of it alive.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
My 77 24 footer had this for a vin:
CPY3773306277
The vin for the 77 20 foot Yelo Sub was

CPY3773306051
226 "argosies" younger than the 24 footer
Wayne, do you happen to have the Argosy supplied vin numbers in the following format?

M20D4V0159

They should start with an M20??V (or S) and M24??V (or S) respectively.

The first ? would be replaced with one of the following letters.
A=Center bath
D=Double bed
R=Rear Door
T=Twin bed

The second ? would be replaced with the year such as 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9.

The V and S stand for:
Plant:
S=Cerritos, California
V=Versailles, Ohio

The rest of the digits would be the Argosy sequence number.

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
WayneG's Avatar
 
1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Wayne, do you happen to have the Argosy supplied vin numbers in the following format?

M20D4V0159

They should start with an M20??V (or S) and M24??V (or S) respectively.

The first ? would be replaced with one of the following letters.
A=Center bath
D=Double bed
R=Rear Door
T=Twin bed

The second ? would be replaced with the year such as 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9.

The V and S stand for:
Plant:
S=Cerritos, California
V=Versailles, Ohio

The rest of the digits would be the Argosy sequence number.

Brad
Unfortunately I only have the Vin's from the DMV forms. All the rest of my paperwork went with the vehicles.
__________________
Do not take life too seriously.
You will never get out of it alive.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:20 AM   #7
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,540
Here is another for the list,

M24R8V5075 owned by Adrian Sanchez, lives in Texcoco, Mexico
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Here is another for the list,

M24R8V5075 owned by Adrian Sanchez, lives in Texcoco, Mexico
That's interesting. I've not seen any motorhome vin with an R before. The trailers used R to indicate Rear door. Can you ask for clarification of the R?
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #9
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
That's interesting. I've not seen any motorhome vin with an R before. The trailers used R to indicate Rear door. Can you ask for clarification of the R?
My first message to Adrian was 'are you sure it is an R' as I had never come across that option. But he sent this photo in confirmation.

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
My first message to Adrian was 'are you sure it is an R' as I had never come across that option. But he sent this photo in confirmation.

I guess that answers that question!

I wonder if the R means rear bath or rear beds? Is there anything unique about his Argosy's floor pan?
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #11
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,805
I still can't believe I gone and bought this.

Officially named Gale because of the freak wind storm on the day I went to buy her.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #12
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I guess that answers that question!

I wonder if the R means rear bath or rear beds? Is there anything unique about his Argosy's floor pan?
Checking the Argosy price schedule you could only get either rear-bath or center-bath (twin or double) in the 24ft in 1977-78. Adrian has a rear-bath so I suspect R=rear-bath in those years.

He has shared some photos with me via Facebook messenger but I am waiting to find out if it is OK to share here.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #13
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I still can't believe I gone and bought this.

Officially named Gale because of the freak wind storm on the day I went to buy her.
She will look great when you are done Tony!

Its a way off but - paint or polish?
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #14
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
She will look great when you are done Tony!

Its a way off but - paint or polish?
I'm going to wait and see what kind of paint job Ernie does on Peanut with a paint roller and go for sticky seconds. If he's really good, a few cans of chrome should do the Classic as well.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #15
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I'm going to wait and see what kind of paint job Ernie does on Peanut with a paint roller and go for sticky seconds. If he's really good, a few cans of chrome should do the Classic as well.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony


About two days ago I asked Brad to see if Ernie would be willing to have go at striping and polishing Peanut.....
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post


About two days ago I asked Brad to see if Ernie would be willing to have go at striping and polishing Peanut.....
Unless Tony has had a huge change of plans he's planning on painting, something about a painted Argosy would be less conspicuous in Belize than a polished Airstream. I can't fault is logic
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1975 24' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:35 PM   #17
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post


About two days ago I asked Brad to see if Ernie would be willing to have go at striping and polishing Peanut.....
Hasn't your better half had you committed yet? If not, this should do it. Heck I'm surprised she hasn't ripped off the purse strings and tied a slip knot around your nads by now.

Mine is thinking about it, so I sleep with one eye open and my goods in tighty whiteezz.

Goodluck mate.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9,180
I hate when I cant unsee some statement that paints a very scary picture....TMI, Tony....
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:01 AM   #19
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Hasn't your better half had you committed yet? If not, this should do it. Heck I'm surprised she hasn't ripped off the purse strings and tied a slip knot around your nads by now.

Mine is thinking about it, so I sleep with one eye open and my goods in tighty whiteezz.

Goodluck mate.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
Like any negotiation its about letting the other part know whats in it for them!

Up to recently, plan A was Peanut will go to an RV resort in Texas, so we could fly in and do the winter sun thing from Dec-Feb - Denise was therefore happy (because, of course, Peanut couldn't be moved until he was ready ). This all went south (literally, not geographically) when we found out the RV resort address would not give us (as foreign nationals) residence status to register him.

This meant I had to come up with plan B. Well neither of us have been to Belize, so I felt uncomfortable making that my negotiating position () so plan B became plan A but with Peanut going to be based on the south east Mediterranean coast; once everything is working, he will ship to UK, Denise can be in charge of 'soft furnishings' then we will drive him down (1500miles and at current European gas prices that means 85c a mile, $1275 each way, so not something you do if you don't have to!), camp in him the first winter but buy a place where he can stay whilst down there. Then each winter we will drive down....all Denise cares about is the 3 months in the sun rather than the rain of the UK!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:27 PM   #20
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Like any negotiation its about letting the other part know whats in it for them!

Up to recently, plan A was Peanut will go to an RV resort in Texas, so we could fly in and do the winter sun thing from Dec-Feb - Denise was therefore happy (because, of course, Peanut couldn't be moved until he was ready ). This all went south (literally, not geographically) when we found out the RV resort address would not give us (as foreign nationals) residence status to register him.

This meant I had to come up with plan B. Well neither of us have been to Belize, so I felt uncomfortable making that my negotiating position () so plan B became plan A but with Peanut going to be based on the south east Mediterranean coast; once everything is working, he will ship to UK, Denise can be in charge of 'soft furnishings' then we will drive him down (1500miles and at current European gas prices that means 85c a mile, $1275 each way, so not something you do if you don't have to!), camp in him the first winter but buy a place where he can stay whilst down there. Then each winter we will drive down....all Denise cares about is the 3 months in the sun rather than the rain of the UK!
You are a scholar and a gentleman, and Denise is a woman of infinite patience. I still might park the Classic behind Peanut and hope Ernie doesn't notice the extra length.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PS Martin, you might want to kick in a little extra for Gatorade or some electrolyte replacement for Ernie as it hit almost 40C (100+) with the humidity up here in SW Ontario; so I hate to think what it was in Kentucky.
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too many numbers? Help with VIN TheNormaAnn Title, VIN & Registration 14 11-12-2021 12:35 AM
Understanding Vin/serial numbers apolaroid Title, VIN & Registration 39 08-26-2020 11:29 PM
Decipher your VIN - charts for VIN and Weights GreatPumpkin Title, VIN & Registration 8 07-30-2020 01:16 PM
Serial numbers and vin xrvr Title, VIN & Registration 1 03-21-2016 11:30 AM
'60 AS: DMV rejects VIN numbers? MegHighway1 General Repair Forum 11 05-11-2013 07:20 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.