Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Katy , Texas
AC lines pushing hard into engine cover/dog house

Has anyone run into the problem? I searched the forum and saw that one person blew their AC hose by it rubbing, but mine is so high that the engine compartment cover is actually being pushed up. It also causes more noise and vibration in the cab. Is there a way to adjust the compressor? I had a bad belt squeal when the compressor was run, so I tightened up the compressor belt and now the compressor sits so high that it rubs. I’m thinking about going to buy a slightly shorter belt than it calls for and hoping it adjusts lower, but what ideas do y’all have?

Sorry to be so needy these last couple days. I have five more days until we take it on our first trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE4EB137-B41E-4F17-92B2-4DBC7460E451.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	316816  
SMichaelG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Katy , Texas
For anyone interested, I got the first curtain panel sewed... i am loving the pattern I picked out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800139E0-6809-48A5-902A-3C9C99E820D6.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	316850  
Old 07-14-2018, 04:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMichaelG2 View Post
Has anyone run into the problem? I searched the forum and saw that one person blew their AC hose by it rubbing, but mine is so high that the engine compartment cover is actually being pushed up. It also causes more noise and vibration in the cab. Is there a way to adjust the compressor? I had a bad belt squeal when the compressor was run, so I tightened up the compressor belt and now the compressor sits so high that it rubs. I’m thinking about going to buy a slightly shorter belt than it calls for and hoping it adjusts lower, but what ideas do y’all have?

Sorry to be so needy these last couple days. I have five more days until we take it on our first trip.
The only option I can see would be to replace the belt. I believe I installed a Gates 7630 belt on Peanut (77 20' Argosy). I don't remember any interference on Peanut when I installed the belt. Unfortunately I can't check the clearance now because I've replaced the doghouse cover with one from a 74 Argosy which is totally different in shape and size.

I would think you can go as short as you want as long as you can get the belt onto the pulleys.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
The only option I can see would be to replace the belt. I believe I installed a Gates 7630 belt on Peanut (77 20' Argosy). I don't remember any interference on Peanut when I installed the belt. Unfortunately I can't check the clearance now because I've replaced the doghouse cover with one from a 74 Argosy which is totally different in shape and size.

I would think you can go as short as you want as long as you can get the belt onto the pulleys.

Brad
The 7630 belt you suggested worked perfectly. The O’Reilly clerk talked me into the only thing they had, a 9630. I spent all morning trying to figure out why the belt kept jumping. The width was too wide on the 9630. I had a 9640 on there. I wound up in Auto Zone and got the right belt. It’s tight to get on, but it works. Takes the adjustment all the way to the bottom which solved the rubbing. I now have nice cold front AC. I am hoping the seals all hold during our trip. If not, it won’t be the first time I had to sweat a little bit. Thank you for your help on this thread and the previous. I still don’t have reverse lights, but I’m going to tackle that after the trip.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Glad to hear the belt size was right. I don't remember how tight it was when I was fitting it to Peanut but it sounds like it's about the shortest belt that will work.

I wish I could help on the reverse light wiring, unfortunately mine was missing when I bought it and I've replaced everything with the 1986 version.

Enjoy your trip!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 07-18-2018, 03:37 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
I have a 77 Argosy 20 and went through similar problems at one time. Your picture of the compressor looks very familiar. Eventually I replaced the compressor with a rebuilt one from OReilly but not the one listed in their catalogue. The seals in my 40 year old compressor started leaking. The correct belt is important for everything to fit. Looking back at the OReilly online catalogue it identifies the belt as a Gates or Master-Pro 7585. I do know that the numbering has changed over the years for the correct size and can easily lead to confusion. My A/C now works great and is a necessacity here in Texas.

On the backup lights, mine had quit working and it turned out to be the switch. The 40 year old switch had broken and a new one fixed it. Go to the OReilly online catalogue and look up a “4 Terminal Safety Switch” Part number S9210 and Line BWD. That switch performs two functions. One is the backup lamps and the second the neutral safety switch. The neutral safety switch will only let you start the engine with the transmission in Park or Neutral. The switch is mounted on the steering column below the dash. Two of the four terminals are the backup light circuit and is a good place to troubleshoot the circuit. One wire supplies the 12 volts for the lights and the other wire goes back to the backup lights. In my case the plastic tab that extends into the shift tube in the column had broken. At times it would move around such that I couldn’t start the engine.

I have had my 77 since 1978 so the I know the history of my Argosy since nearly new.

By the way if you ever need to replace the compressor, the correct one (clutch dimensions) is for a 70’s vintage Pontiac Astre. If you need, PM me and I will locate the correct replacement number.

Good Luck! Gregg
GWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWallace View Post
I have a 77 Argosy 20 and went through similar problems at one time. Your picture of the compressor looks very familiar. Eventually I replaced the compressor with a rebuilt one from OReilly but not the one listed in their catalogue. The seals in my 40 year old compressor started leaking. The correct belt is important for everything to fit. Looking back at the OReilly online catalogue it identifies the belt as a Gates or Master-Pro 7585. I do know that the numbering has changed over the years for the correct size and can easily lead to confusion. My A/C now works great and is a necessacity here in Texas.

On the backup lights, mine had quit working and it turned out to be the switch. The 40 year old switch had broken and a new one fixed it. Go to the OReilly online catalogue and look up a “4 Terminal Safety Switch” Part number S9210 and Line BWD. That switch performs two functions. One is the backup lamps and the second the neutral safety switch. The neutral safety switch will only let you start the engine with the transmission in Park or Neutral. The switch is mounted on the steering column below the dash. Two of the four terminals are the backup light circuit and is a good place to troubleshoot the circuit. One wire supplies the 12 volts for the lights and the other wire goes back to the backup lights. In my case the plastic tab that extends into the shift tube in the column had broken. At times it would move around such that I couldn’t start the engine.

I have had my 77 since 1978 so the I know the history of my Argosy since nearly new.

By the way if you ever need to replace the compressor, the correct one (clutch dimensions) is for a 70’s vintage Pontiac Astre. If you need, PM me and I will locate the correct replacement number.

Good Luck! Gregg
Gregg, on a 74 the reverse and safety interlock switches are located on the transmission, not on the steering column. My guess is that it's the same for a 76 which is the subject of this thread. Most likely GM made a change from the 76 to 77 model years and moved the switch from the transmission to the steering column.

Brad