Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2019, 06:14 PM   #1721
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,211
Images: 51
This is the ODMRV stuff I bought a couple of years ago. Works real well for applying covers, Like this battery compartment cover. No mess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xx1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	357113   Click image for larger version

Name:	xx2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	357114  

Click image for larger version

Name:	xx3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	357115  
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1992 350LE Classic Motorhome
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:16 PM   #1722
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,211
Images: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Peter, that link is for vinyl insert. Is that what you posted in Mike's thread?

yes, I corrected it. Here it is correct link

http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...roducts_id=919
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1992 350LE Classic Motorhome
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:20 PM   #1723
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,253
Would this tape also be suitable for water heater installation and also for window frame asemblies?
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #1724
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,211
Images: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Would this tape also be suitable for water heater installation and also for window frame asemblies?

yes, super clean to work with. As long as the surfaces are fairly plane, it works extremely well. If you think you need more thickness double it up. Can also be used in conjunction with tempro or Vulkem.
Only small drawback is that you really have to poke the rivet hole, thats why the extra width is better.
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1992 350LE Classic Motorhome
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #1725
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,253
Ok, I'm sold
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:36 PM   #1726
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,211
Images: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Ok, I'm sold

I am almost certain that is what the factory and dealers use for panel replacement. They would never put up with the Tempro mess.

I put up with the tempro, because I really want the sealant to encase the rivets and stems.
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1992 350LE Classic Motorhome
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:23 AM   #1727
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
I am almost certain that is what the factory and dealers use for panel replacement. They would never put up with the Tempro mess.

I put up with the tempro, because I really want the sealant to encase the rivets and stems.
I'm in 100% agreement. It was a little disheartening to sit and watch the water drip off the stems of those Olympic rivets.......
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #1728
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,211
Images: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I'm in 100% agreement. It was a little disheartening to sit and watch the water drip off the stems of those Olympic rivets.......

Olympics generally have a bad wrap because of weaker structual strength and leaking. The later is in most cases an installer issue. Other than the lack of sealant during installation, I have found that the wrong clipping and shaving procedure can cause leaks.

First of all, special clipping pliers need to be used to clip the mandrel as close as possible to the rivet head. Second, be gentle when starting the shaving procedure. Let shaver do the work. Applying to much pressure will push the mandrel in, weaken the holding strength and cause leaks.
I pulled a leaking stationary window out recently and found that most rivets stems were pushed back in, causing leaks and poor holding.
This is what you want to see on the back of an olympic rivet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rivetbacks.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	357346  
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1992 350LE Classic Motorhome
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #1729
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Olympics generally have a bad wrap because of weaker structual strength and leaking. The later is in most cases an installer issue. Other than the lack of sealant during installation, I have found that the wrong clipping and shaving procedure can cause leaks.

First of all, special clipping pliers need to be used to clip the mandrel as close as possible to the rivet head. Second, be gentle when starting the shaving procedure. Let shaver do the work. Applying to much pressure will push the mandrel in, weaken the holding strength and cause leaks.
I pulled a leaking stationary window out recently and found that most rivets stems were pushed back in, causing leaks and poor holding.
This is what you want to see on the back of an olympic rivet
Peter,

As we were installing the rear quarter panel last weekend we were having issues with the olympic rivets breaking to early where the bulk of the stud came out of the rivet leaving a hole instead of a protruding stud.

I had rivets from two different bags (suppliers) and it appears the rivets from one supplier were nothing but junk. Most of them broke to soon. Once we switched to rivets from the other bag the problem went away. This Saturday we drilled out all of the offending rivets and installed new ones (from the good bag) and we had no issues with broken studs.

I wish I knew which supplier the bad rivets came from but unfortunately I don't. Nothing like bad parts prolonging a job

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #1730
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar
 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,881
That sucks, try a couple from each bag on some scrap?
Ahhhhhhh, but if the bags aren’t marked it’s still a pickle...hmmmm
Never mind, dumb idea
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #1731
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
That sucks, try a couple from each bag on some scrap?
Ahhhhhhh, but if the bags arenít marked itís still a pickle...hmmmm
Never mind, dumb idea
Yep, the bags aren't marked

The good news is I might be out of the bad ones now so it may be a moot point. I'm hoping anyway!

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #1732
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,211
Images: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Yep, the bags aren't marked

The good news is I might be out of the bad ones now so it may be a moot point. I'm hoping anyway!

Brad

Be aware of Brad giving you a bag a rivets for christmas


I had that happen to me with good rivets, the cause being some obstruction keeping the rivet legs from expanding. A new rivet rotated slightly usually fixed that problem. Sometimes I probe the rivet holes trying to find an obstruction prior to placing the rivets.
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1992 350LE Classic Motorhome
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #1733
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Be aware of Brad giving you a bag a rivets for christmas
Spoil sport......

Quote:
I had that happen to me with good rivets, the cause being some obstruction keeping the rivet legs from expanding. A new rivet rotated slightly usually fixed that problem. Sometimes I probe the rivet holes trying to find an obstruction prior to placing the rivets.
I've had that happen from time to time but this was one after the other just failed on the install. When replaced with one of the good ones there was no issue.

I think the good rivets came from Vintage Trailer Supply and the others I think the others came from either an ebay seller or Out of Doors Mart. I bought 300 from VTS and only 100 from OFDM and I still have almost two bags left of the same style which kind of points to the good ones came from VTS.

In the near future I'll be replacing the long drivers side panel and the same rear quarter as Peanut. I really hope I have nothing but good rivets!

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:37 PM   #1734
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,253
In case you hadn't noticed I've not really made any progress on my Argosy since last year. Work has gotten insane, the weather has been miserable and with what little free time I've been able to come up with I've been tinkering with my Dodge truck.

I did take a peek inside my Argosy today to see how it was holding up being parked outside all winter.

Here's a picture of a bucket I set in place to catch the drip coming from the passenger side cockpit window. I believe the drip is working it's way through the sealant at the top of the window on the outside. This spring I'll see about removing the old sealant and replacing with new.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200301_145504.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	362342

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:57 PM   #1735
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,211
Images: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
In case you hadn't noticed I've not really made any progress on my Argosy since last year. Work has gotten insane, the weather has been miserable and with what little free time I've been able to come up with I've been tinkering with my Dodge truck.

I did take a peek inside my Argosy today to see how it was holding up being parked outside all winter.

Here's a picture of a bucket I set in place to catch the drip coming from the passenger side cockpit window. I believe the drip is working it's way through the sealant at the top of the window on the outside. This spring I'll see about removing the old sealant and replacing with new.

Attachment 362342

Brad

I will use a much more effective and permanent solution for the passenger side leak issue:
I will drill a 1" hole in the floor and cover it with window screen.
__________________
1994 30' Excella Front Kitchen Trailer
1992 350LE Classic Motorhome
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:12 PM   #1736
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,938
'74 Argosy 20' Motorhome restoration/rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
I will use a much more effective and permanent solution for the passenger side leak issue:
I will drill a 1" hole in the floor and cover it with window screen.


Now I feel Iím a bad influence having spent part of Friday and Saturday at Brads work on Peanut!

All I can say is my luggage is 25kg lighter going back as the new water tank, water pumps, inlet, toilet, plumbing, faucet, etc all got laid out to make sure it will fit.

Of course this has resulted in additional stuff needing to come out......at which point Peanut is actually going to be totally empty!

For what itís worth, in the UK it is a legal requirement to insert drain points in the floor to release any propane that leaks, I guess this will also let the water out!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:15 PM   #1737
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
I will use a much more effective and permanent solution for the passenger side leak issue:
I will drill a 1" hole in the floor and cover it with window screen.
Hmm.....your quick response and solution to this problem makes me wonder just what sort of repairs you've been making to your 350.......
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #1738
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Now I feel Iím a bad influence having spent part of Friday and Saturday at Brads work on Peanut!

All I can say is my luggage is 25kg lighter going back as the new water tank, water pumps, inlet, toilet, plumbing, faucet, etc all got laid out to make sure it will fit.

Of course this has resulted in additional stuff needing to come out......at which point Peanut is actually going to be totally empty!

For what itís worth, in the UK it is a legal requirement to insert drain points in the floor to release any propane that leaks, I guess this will also let the water out!
I wouldn't say you're a bad influence....you're more of the enabler type.....
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:40 PM   #1739
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I wouldn't say you're a bad influence....you're more of the enabler type.....
I'll take that as a complement Brad!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:15 AM   #1740
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,253
I hadn't started my Argosy since last summer and on Thursday evening I found that I needed to move it so I could load up the remnants of Peanut's interior so it could be hauled to the land fill.

I've had the batteries on a trickle charger the whole time so I wasn't worried about the batteries being a problem. What surprised me was how easily it started once I turned the key. I have a fuel pressure gauge and in less than 2 seconds it came up to pressure so I cranked the starter and probably after one or two revolutions of the engine it fired right up! Needless to say I'm lovin this TBI setup

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200611_182133.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	370184

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200611_182121.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	370183

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200611_182208.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	370185


Peanut has resided inside the shop this past winter and spring as we were taking care of various holes in the shell. That work is just about complete and the plan is to move Peanut back outside and later this summer I'll move mine back into the shop for the rest of the exterior repair work that needs to be done.

I need to replace the left rear quarter panel, an 8 ft section on the lower left side and remove a few vents up top. At that time I'll also re-install the lower front valance for the final time which should complete most of the exterior repairs.

Oh yeah, I need to replace the door with a better one as well so that will take place this coming winter also.

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Entry steps on '77 Argosy motorhome WineStream Argosy Motorhomes 5 09-08-2013 11:16 PM
Argosy 20' motorhome 350 MPG and towing? ViewRVs Argosy Motorhomes 6 01-19-2012 08:13 PM
If you're looking for an Argosy Motorhome.... crazeevw Argosy Motorhomes 3 10-23-2011 08:09 AM
1977 Argosy Airstream Motorhome Rebuilt Engine, Trans, Headers. CLASSIC , Onan eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 09-13-2011 09:00 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.