Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2004, 04:05 PM   #1

Question 1978 Argosy 27' MH w/ rear twins

Greetings,

My husband happened upon a 1978 27' Argosy MH w/ rear twins for sale when he was photographing a client's vehicle at a repair shop. He was impressed with its looks and when he was told it was selling for $7,500, he took a bunch of photos and brought them home to show me. I too was quite impressed and have since been researching everything I can find about the Argosy and A/S lines. We both went to look at it again yesterday, test drove it, and are seriously contemplating purchasing it. Since we're newbies (seasoned campers, but never owned a motorhome), I'm curious as to comments anyone might have on this particular MH.

The interior carpet, walls, and upholstry have been completely redone - nicely too, I might add. From a mechanical standpoint, its got 66K on the odometer, but the engine was rebuilt a few years ago (454 Chevy) and only has 7K on it (has service paperwork to prove, as well as manuals for the MH and for all appliances). Generator, A/C, furnace, lights (inside and out) all work fine. Exterior is in outstanding condition, only one very minor ding. Awning and fridge were replaced in the past two years. No rust or leaks were visualized inside or out.

Does this sound like a good deal? I saw a 77 27' Argosy MH go for $8,100 on ebay yesterday, and it was not nearly as nice. Haven't found much else to compare it to. We're located in North FL.

Any comments will be appreciated! Thx!
Boxergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 04:15 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
Thumbs up 78 Argosy - Sounds Sweet to Mee

I'm kinda new to the MH scene myself, but it sounds like a very reasonable price. Check it out good to see if everything functions properly. There are more experienced MH owners on this site that I'm sure will be glad to impart their wisdom. Everyone has been helpful to me. Stand by for more comments, and Good Luck!
Old 05-14-2004, 06:55 PM   #3

Oops -- 28', not 27'!

Thanks, Leemo! Just got home from work and Boxerguy (my husband) told me it is 28', not 27'. Guess that's good news considering we have four boxers (that extra foot will be helpful)!

We're resizing photos -- will attempt to post in the next few days!
Old 05-14-2004, 07:36 PM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Sounds like a keeper. Even though you've been through all of the systems already, invest a little money and have a mechanic check it out if possible. Obviously the engine/transmission are expensive items to replace but other systems such as roof air, furnace, water heater, fridge can equal an engine rebuild in no time.

Also expect to be handy with it - or learn to be handy. These old MH's are very cool and fun and get a lot of attention but it's like owning an old boat bolted to an old truck! You'll get more out of the experience if you go in expecting to become Argosy and P30 Chassis experts!

There are some very passionate Argosy owners on the forum. I'm sure they will be able to provide you with a lot of additional information and things to check out.

Of course at that price once it's advertised it's likely to move fast if it's in good shape.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 07:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Lincoln , Nebraska
Steve Webster is correct in every regard. I have purchased a '77 Argosy MH in the last year for a comparable amount with 55K miles. It too was in good condition but trust us, there will always be things that come up after the sale. Just be prepared to take on a "project" even though it may be small (or large as the case may be). However, I'd do it all over again and it has been fun. This forum is a WEALTH of info for guidance and for answering your questions....however esoteric they may be. All that being said, go for it because if you don't, someone else will by next week and you'll kick yourself and lament for a long time. Have FUN!

MPF
77 R GO C MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
what else could you get for that amount of money that will be of the quality and offer the pride in ownership you will get from it? Not much i suspect. But do follow the above recommended precautions, and be ready with some spare cash for the inevitable problems that any 25+ yr old vehilce might have.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Lincoln , Nebraska
Let us know if you do decide to "do it" .
Old 05-15-2004, 09:23 PM   #8

Smile We decided to "do it"

This is Boxerguy (the husband) We've decided to take the plunge. We are both pretty excited. I know we will have plenty of questions, thanks for all of the input. I'm looking forward to posting pics and start sharing adventures.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:26 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Lincoln , Nebraska
Thumbs up

Congrats! I know you will have fun. We're all open to ?s.
MPF