Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2010, 05:43 AM   #61
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
1975 26' Argosy 26
Denver , North Carolina
I'll try to find those two threads. I haven't gotten too far into the trailer threads since the motorhome has required all my time this summer. The oil is coming out the exhaust in the form of smoke. It's not leaking much onto the ground. I haven't quite figured out the search engine on the forum yet so I haven't had alot of luck with researching items. Your thread has been really helpful because it's covering multiple issues.So thanks for that.
satia43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Oil coming out the exhaust says it's time for a compression test. Worst case, it's coming around worn-out piston rings. Compression will be very low, in that case.

If compression is OK, a possible alternate is that it's bad oil seals at the valve stems.

Best of luck.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #63

1978 28' Argosy 28
Seattle , Washington
How many miles. What engine?
I don't know if my '78 has 14,000 or 114,000 miles. Runs great but.need a muffler
captralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
satia43
You might try jumping over to the engine section and post there about your oil problems. I am not very good at the search thing yet either.Keep trying you will eventualy get something useful .I mentioned the trailer threads because I think that was where the polished Argosy is at.
The reason it covers so much is mine has multiple issues.
Actualy after reading some of the threads my MH is not in to bad of shape the inside is just old and a couple of bad spots on the floor. I don't know about the generator yet.old . Engine and transmission are being replaced ,rebuilt .Soon as it cools off enough to touch the tools will get back on that.
I've got the engine & tranny out of the Argosy. Now need to get the engine out of sob mh original tranny rebuilt ,redo the radiator and whatever else I find as I go along.Lot of work but I think in the end it will be worth it.At least with Airstream ,Argosy there is something to work with.

captralph
I got to say I am alittle jealous of you mh owners who get in and drive off with them.As long as its running doesn't really make a difference on the miles I'd say more like 114,000 14,000 would be great though.

mimiandrews
has given good advice
Jo
Old 07-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by satia43 View Post
I've read every post now in this forum and have a few questions if you will allow me to pick all the brains present. Talking about painting the end caps...has anyone heard about a vinegar wash prior to painting galvanized steel? I heard something but can't confirm. Next summer was the scheduled time for addressing the outside of our beast we're not sure yet if it's back to original colors or maybe we force the 14 yr. old into the shining arena with me for a couple hundred hours of bonding time and just paint the endcaps. Any way we go those endcaps will have to be dealt with. This will occur if we can handle the issue of the beast vomiting oil. We took an 8 hr trip and all the oil was gone after 6 hrs. If anyone has any ideas on that I'm all ears also. Then the beast attempted to shut down on 95 going thru Jacksonville, did you know you can't throw her into nuetral and restart. I think my sweet innocent moho is hiding a malevolent smile >:-(
We will be covering our front end cap this summer with appropriately colored vinyl , like a wrap. We will post photos on how that comes out

Imagine the sight of them linked together!

gmehal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:33 AM   #66
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
1975 26' Argosy 26
Denver , North Carolina
Thanks Mimiandrews we will look itto that first.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:38 AM   #67
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
1975 26' Argosy 26
Denver , North Carolina
I can't wait to see how the vinyl wrap looks. Never thought of that. The Moho turned over to 80,000 on our trip. So she does have some age and it's a 545 or 454 whichever is right. Gypsy- I've refered my husband to your responce. He just doesn't work that well with computers, he's a gearhead. So I play secretary, but we appreciate the info you provide.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1982 28' Airstream 280
Elkmont , Alabama
Those dogs are great.

The transmission is the TH400, (made for mohos, straight cut gears, very strong)

Vinegar is a mild acid. So I would bet it would bond with the iron oxide (rust) and prevent further oxidation.

Polishing is a b///tch. Since you have to paint the ends I would just paint it all.

Does the engine smoke? Leak? Where is oil going?
deltatango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Moved In

Well had the whole story written out once then lost it will try again.

Have moved into my Argosy. Was hoping to have it a little more finished but sob mh was falling apart . So I figured it would be better to move in then I can concentrate all my energy on the Argosy.
Still have a long way to go on the inside and outside.

Motor and tranny are sitting on the ground beside the Argosy. Will be rebuilding the original tranny and using the engine out of sob mh.Am in the process of getting motor ready to pull . Maybe will get it out this weekend.
Have pics of engine removal but was waiting to post until I have pics of engine and tranny going back in.

Inside is Ok.No flooring yet I have two bad spots by the door I need to fix before I do flooring .Have throw rugs down on plywood which is working ok for now.I got a great deal on a 100% cotton 5'x8' rug at Ross fits perfect in the front room going up the step to the cockpit.
No shower yet. can shower at my friends house so I am not stinky.
A little scared to try the shower pan again. Will cost about $350 for the right supplies. I will get tired of not having a shower and will attempt it again soon.
Good news is
NO LEAKS
water system works
water heater works
furnace works
12v and 110 work
fridge works on 110 haven't tried lpg yet

Have installed a new china toilet. Small issue with it . I was so excited by the great deal at cw,$100, that I didn't pay attention to the measurements the toilet fits fine.Except If I wasn't tall I would need a stool to get to the stool.
The bed is very comfortable . Says a lot for 30+ year old foam.It even fits all three dogs and me.A little extra work to put up and down but as I alter my bedding to fit it will get easier.Also the small piece that goes against the wall I need to make some new ones I threw out the original ones because they were moldy . The correct fitting piece will make it a lot easier. Right now am using some round pillows and a scrap piece of wood.

I've got to admit there are times when I think I can't do this its to much work .But then that passes and I get back to work.I feel a connection to this mh. I have looked at others on the internet but I can't bring myself to give up on this one.I figure if I put the money into this one that I would spend to get another one, Airstream or Argosy of course,I should have a nice mh and I will know it from one end to the other.
I would be lost without Airforums.I really appreciate the time and energy people have taken to document there work and experiences.
Time to get back to work.
Gypsy Jo
Old 11-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Got the bathroom sink in this weekend. Went well except for the kink I still have in my neck.
Engine work . The guy that is going to help pull engine out of sob mh.,he helped pull the one out of Argosy, has not been available .Am just waiting for him to get some time. If not this weekend Thanksgiving weekend for sure. Or I will figure out some way to do it by my self.
Also working on new curtains.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #71
1 Rivet Member

1974 24' Argosy 24
Davenport , Florida
Keep us up to date, I'm always checking his thread to see if anything new has happened.

I'm particularly interested in how you get rid of the seat in the shower. I've been trying to figure out how to do that as well
scottf3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #72
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Argosy

You have a challenging project there! These changes/updates/improvements/repairs can not only take a lot of time, but also loads of money.

I have enjoyed following your journey, and don't give up. You will have and object of envy, when it is finished. (is it ever finished?)

Keep the pictures flowing.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Thanks for the replies. They help.
As far as being an object of envy I would go for it just to be running.
The dream and the reality seem to be far away from each other right now.
I will not give up. Just taking a lot longer than I thought. Thats life.
To take the seat out of the shower I took all of the abs out. There were 3 sections .One that wrapped around the wall and had the shower controls the seat part and the shower pan. If you do this you will have to redo the whole shower. pan and water controls.I have not been able to find a ready made shower pan that fits. Am going to make a pan out of fiberglass . Not as easy as I thought. But I like the idea of a bigger shower pan.
Jo
Old 02-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Not a lot of progress to report
.Window curtains made for the windshield and blinds for the rest of the windows.seat bases and seat belts out. seat bases were a job thankfully my friend showed and helped or I might still be under there.
Got the fiberglass supplies for the shower pan now I have to wait for it to warm up enough to use it.It has to be 55 degrees.
My furnace quit working .It had not been lighting all the time .But if turned off and back on it would light and ok. I went away for the holidays and now it won't light at all.I'm a little worried about pulling it out because the directions say I have to pull the stove out.I have a Mr. Heater that is working good for now.
Engine work not much going on . Evidently all the planets have to line up for this to go forward. I keep working toward the goal eventualy I will get there.
Jo
Old 03-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Smile Finally

Well all the planets lined up Sunday and I managed to get the engine out of the sob mh. Transmission goes to the shop tomorrow to get rebuilt Am using the original one from the Argosy.Luck was with me what I thought might have been a rear seal leak looks to be just the oil pan seal I was figuring on doing new oil pan and valve cover gaskets any way.The running of the Argosy gets closer.
More good news my new bed cushions are done and I pick them up tomorrow after I drop off the tranny.I went to an upholstery shop. After looking at prices for foam and material it was only $150 more to get it done by a shop.

Unrelated topic but still huge for me I finally got high speed internet via satellite.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1982 28' Airstream 280
Elkmont , Alabama
Diesel Engine

I put a new engine in mine. It runs great, very powerful \.

If I had it to do over again I would find a diesel engine. You need torque and economy for a moho. And the diesel runs a lot cooler. The 454 gets hot as Hell. My ignition wires already need replacing.

There are plenty of engines out there. I'm going to poke around on the net and put up some engines.
deltatango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Diesels are a good way to go . For me staying with the 454 setup is what I can handle. I understand gas engines and no major changes to the setup.
Jo
Old 03-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Picked up transmission from shop today.Looks like I have a busy weekend ahead of me.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Jo View Post
Picked up transmission from shop today.Looks like I have a busy weekend ahead of me.
good Luck.

hope you can post some pictures of your install
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Will definitely have pics. Have pics of removal but wanted to wait until I had pics of the install also before I post them.
Weather , snow , rain, 70 mph winds, and being called in to work have gotten in the way of engine install.
It always seems to take forever to get anything done.Have been storing my tranny in my van till I can get to it.
Thanks I need all the luck I can get.
Jo