Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #1

1977 24' Argosy 24
Madison , Florida
1977 Argosy 24 hard to start when engine is hot

I could use some suggestions on what might be the problem with starting when the engine is hot. Chevy 454, the battery is new and strong. I added a heat shield between the manifold and the starter seemed to help a little but problem still exists. if i let the engine cool off awhile it will start. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sandraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I don't think in 1977 Airstream or GM were adding the remote starter solenoids yet. It would be a good idea to check to make sure the extra solenoid is installed and if it's not there I would suggest adding it. Typically it is mounted on an arm that is bolted to the top of the alternator bracket. GM issued a service bulletin covering how to install it.

You can see the solenoid in this picture.
Click image for larger version

Name:	i5rv2h.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	286757

You can find instructions on how to install a remote start solenoid in this thread.

Another item of interest I ran across just the other day. GM recommends running the engine from 3 to 5 minutes after a long drive in order to cool things down a little before actually shutting the engine off. This is also supposed to help on restarts.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Have you replaced the starter? It might be getting warped and when hot, expand slightly. In other words, it's on the way out. On the Airstream, people usually replace with the smaller starter and heatshield, outlined in Brad's post. I suspect this all works the same on the Argosy and probably a worthwhile low cost swap out.
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:04 AM   #4
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Also make sure the starter is shimmed correctly; not reported so much here but on the Argosy Facebook Group shimming is reported as having as big an impact as heat on the pre-1979 starters.

Of course this is interpreting your original 'difficulty starting' question as, difficulty in turning over. If the engine is turning over but not starting when hot, you probably have vapor locking to the fuel lines. Add an electric pump like the Carter P4070 near the gas tank and vapor lock is no longer an issue.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
On both my 77's I have had fuel boil off in the carb causing the engine to have more friction on the cylinder walls and hot starters & solenoids getting weak.
For the weak starter, my emergency solution, that is dangerous as hell, was to turn the ignition switch on and from the front wheel well, take a long screwdriver between the battery connection on the starter to the solenoid coil lug. It worked most every time but was real hairy avoiding shorting to ground.
I was told that they sell high torque geared starters now, I have never tried one but that could be a safer solution.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think what you are experiencing is vapor lock. The engine is being flooded by gas fumes from a hot carb or the float bowl is empty because all the fuel boiled out. Try removing the air cleaner to get more air in the engine to dilute the gas fumes. You got to get some air in there to burn that extra fuel. On 4 stroke dirt bikes we have this problem and many have a hot start button that bleeds more air into the intake. You want to start with the throttle wide open but don't pump it. Also make sure the choke is not slamming shut starving the engine of air. If any of this works you can make a hot start button of your own by pulling a vacuum hose that is down stream of the throttle plate. Then you won't have to start it at full throttle. When it starts put the hose back on or make a valve or solenoid to do this.

If your problem is that the engine won't physically turn over with the starter then most likely you have starter or solenoid issues. Solenoids fail and won't allow enough current to the starter. The starter may have a connection that breaks when it is hot.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
This was the starter solenoid on my 84. The bakelite oxidized from the heat of the exhaust manifold and arcing of the contacts inside to ground finished it off. I replaced the entire starter with a now one.
I also installed TBI fuel injection with electric fuel pump and no more starting problems.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Some of those starters especially if you are running headers get cooked. Not a bad idea to have a heat shield over the starter or wrap the headers to lower the heat coming off. Is the problem it won't spin the engine or it spins the engine and won't start?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:00 PM   #9

1977 24' Argosy 24
Madison , Florida
Thank you so much everyone for the information I have a friend looking at it tomorrow no one has been able to figure it out so far. I really appreciate all your suggestions !!

Sandy
Sandraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1974 20' Argosy 20
Hermosa Beach , California
I'm have the same issue with mine lately. Did you ever figure out the problem?

1974 Argosy 20' Motorhome
1977 Airstream Sovereign 31'
1974Argosy20 is offline   Reply With Quote