Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
2005 25'SS Door sticking

I am wondering if anyone knows about the door sticking a bit?Is this a common issue with Airstreams?What can I do to fix it to not do it.It seems that the handle on the outside and inside the door is loose a bit and will turn freely about a half an inch before it really catches to start opening the 2 locking clasps(if that is correct.)in the door.Should I grease it up with some white grease or put something else on it.It seems I may have to take the door assembly apart to fix it but would love to not do this and hope that it can be adjusted.It seems to be hitting the door jam piece that sticks out a couple of inches on the top side.Did I say this right?If not I will take some pics here shortly to make it easier.Thanks.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hey Devo -- This summer I had increasing difficulty to get my '06 Safari door latch open without extra hard yanks on either the inside or outside handle. This was cured two weeks ago with judicious squirts of LPS lubricant (avoid WD-40 or oil based lubes -- they just attract dust). I don't have a photo but the latch area of the door (not the frame stud) has pivoting points above and below that mate with the frame stud. I used the red tube nozzle to spray the pivot points from each side. Cleared it up first time! I suspect the OEM latch had a spare amount of lube -- just needed to be augmented.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Great

That was what I was thinking also.It just needs a bit of lube.I will try and do this tomorrow.Thanks Again.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Worked

I purchased some white grease in a can and it worked perfect.Also I would like to say if anyone is having problems with there door not shutting all the way,Check the piece of wood at the bottom of the doorway.The screen door may be rubbing it and you will have to sand it down really good to get the door to close perfectly.I had this problem on my previous Airstream and I now see some on this one.also I helped someone fix theres also.Seems this could be a common issue Airstream need to be looking at.It could mess up a lot of doors in the future.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I would recommend against using an oil or grease lube in any area exposed to grime and dirt. The LPS (liquid polymer silicone I believe) sprays are superior in applications where constant RPM are not placing significant friction or heat loads. It displaces water and has worked great on my B.A.L. jacks, the door latch mechanism, and many other applications.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 11-04-2006, 11:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
LPS has "cured" many of my door problems on my Trailers, as well as other vehicles. Good stuff. Of course it has other applications in the garage, shop, yard, house, etc.
Many of the greases will collect dirt/grime, they also dry up over time, leaving you with a hard goo instead of a nice lube.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:41 AM   #7
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Where ca I get this stuff?

Where can I find this LPS lube?

Old 11-05-2006, 07:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Devoman -- We are talking about LPS-1. It should be available in your hardware or autoparts stores in the same section as other light lubes like machine oil, WD-40, etc. Also try it on the nut that elevates your B.A.L. stabilizers.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 11-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #9
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Thanks

I will try home depot tomorrow.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Lps-1

Aha! One more use -- from the ZipDee maintenance instructions: Awnings By ZipDee. Click 'Maintenance' along the left column to open a different screen and select 'Routine Maintenance Items' partway down page. See paragraph 2. Sorry -- their webpage gives a 404 using the direct link to the 'Routine Maintenance Items' page.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:37 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2009 23' International
Bainbridge Island , Washington
I'm a little confused (normal situation!): I've used silicone sprays successfully for years on rubber, plastics, and metal. "LPS-1" is a new term to me, however. Does this product differ from the hardware-store "heavy-duty" silicone spray, or is it something different and better?
jglabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
jglabrown -- sorry this question went so long unanswered. LPS-1 is oil-free. LPS Laboratories produces many other products, including heavy duty silicone sprays, that do contain oil. LPS-1 does not leave behind an oily residue that would attract dust & grime.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 10-14-2008, 07:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Bumping old thread up....

Is this LPS-1 available in Ontario?

The door to our 2005 CCD 22' has been a nuisance since we have owned it. Understand all about being level and the use of jack stands affecting the level of the door.

But it never shuts right even when level unless we give it one oh mighty slam from the inside and shutting from the outside requires a firm hand over the area of the lock to be sure that it locks.

I think at one point the screen door has been twisted and it does not close right either - I think once since we owned it - most of the time we leave the two doors together.

It is not rusty inside the mechanism and is fairly clean from what we can see.

Has there been issues with this lock during this production year? Or does it just need a good silicon spray?

We plan on giving her a complete maintenance overhaul over the winter. After all she has been off the line almost 6 years now and I am not sure what was the last maintenance items done.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to steer me in the direction of a good silicon spray product available here
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I'll bet Lewster would also recommend this for your door latch - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...tml#post439162

5 meter Langford Nahanni