Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Tryon , North Carolina
Steps for 1970 Overlander

The welder comes next week to install the couple of worn out outriggers. Both sides of the step outriggers are also needing replacement. I am struggling to find the outriggers, any ideas? Every supplier I know is out of stock. Any ideas as to a non Airstream step that fits and works well? I would like to put the Airstream double step in but am not sure if it will fit and lock up while traveling. Will the double step work if I can find the outriggers? What modifications are required?
Thanks everyone!
69Silvrbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
I would let the welder cut copies and install them. I would recommend stepping up to the next thicker size metal too. It is likely they can be made for less than you could order them.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Tryon , North Carolina
Thank you!
I am not sure what to do, that's for sure. Maybe a pair of the wheel well outriggers with some reinforcement behind them for attaching steps?
I'm about to paint the frame and I need this solved before I go about new flooring and tanks.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. A piece broke out of the outrigger along the track for the steps. As you said, nobody has them in stock or seems to think they will restock. I decided to make a new groove or channel for mine. I got a 1/8' piece of steel plate and cut it to the outside shape of the outrigger. I marked the step channel on it and using a drill press and a jig saw I cut the groove. A Bosch metal bit cut it very easly. I bolted the new piece to the face of the existing outrigger using counter sunk bolt heads. It was a close fit and took some adjusting to get it all together but it now works.

I did order a wheel well outrigger and thought about cutting the groove in it. But I did not want to have to weld a whole new outrigger. It would not be a hard project to order right and left wheel well outriggers and cut the slots in them using an old one for a pattern. The metal seems to be the same thickness.

The groove has to be pretty accurate in order for the step to fold up and lock in place securely. I did not get my groove long enough at first and had to recut that end. When the steps are folded down one side is about 1/16 inch further from the trailer than the other. But it works.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Tryon , North Carolina
Thank you Bill! Now I have to make a decision. I'm right at ready to replace the floor. I want to get to it!

Trey
Old 06-17-2016, 08:04 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
A few years ago, the edges wore out on the outriggers of the steps of my fathers AS. Took it to a welder that welded on the wore areas and then ground them back to where it was. Worked like new and as far as I know still is. He sold it later on. You might try Sonny at Camper Repair 205-665-2531. He and his dad have been AS parts dealers for years. Last time I was there he even had complete end caps for the narrow body units. Sells new and used parts.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote