Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1970 - 1973 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
San antonio , Texas
Overlander or Argosy

Where are the current threads? Maybe everyone is out enjoying their trailers??

First time owning a travel trailer. Empty nesters with a 7 year old grand. Want to do weekend trips across TX to state parks, then once or twice a year to all the big spots like Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, etc. We're trying to do all cash and have a budget, including some remodeling.

We are on the fence about two Argosys (26 and 28RB) and a '72 Overlander 27' Double. Both Argosys need a lot of work to get them where we want.
The Overlander is at an RV dealer, asking $15K. We are considering offering $13,500 out the door. Finis. The unit seems in good shape. Less than a 1/4" deflection on rear bumper, no major dents/scratches, no carpet, cooktop needs a hard clean, everything else is very clean. Propane tanks have current fittings, electric jack, all four stabilizers work. Glass is good but needs tinting removed. Dealer would do a full inspection of all systems. Tires look very good. Not sure about he axles/brakes.

Thoughts?
Whit461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Elk Rapids , Michigan
Really comes down to what you and the wife want. If you like projects the Argosy can be a fun one, but if you just want to go camping then find something that is ready to go.

One word of caution, 1972 was a very long time ago and some dealers are fairly good at disguising flaws. If you can do the work yourself you will know the status of everything in the trailer, but if you need to rely on somebody else to fix things then you will need a good relationship with a shop that stands behind their work.

Post some photos of the campers you are considering for a more informed opinion.

Cheers,

John
matthewsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
72 may not have a gray tank. I think that is about the time they were just starting to put them in.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehandyman View Post
72 may not have a gray tank. I think that is about the time they were just starting to put them in.
Some 1973 Excellas had grey tanks. Before that, none did.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:09 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
San antonio , Texas
So, forgive my ignorant follow up, so what do you do with the gray water? Does it go to the black tank? Is that bad or just inconvenient and forces us to empty the tank sooner?

We have been wanting to research composting toilets, which would help.
Whit461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #6
Just getting started.

1969 27' Overlander
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit461 View Post
So, forgive my ignorant follow up, so what do you do with the gray water? Does it go to the black tank? Is that bad or just inconvenient and forces us to empty the tank sooner?

We have been wanting to research composting toilets, which would help.
When I bought my 69 the PO told me it had no grey tank. I wasn't sure why until I took it apart and saw that it is just like you said. All the grey plumbing dumped in to the black tank too. Just make it fill up a lot faster.
Jeremy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
First Time Trailer Buyer Huh?

One sure fire way to get the Misses TOTALLY OUT of the camping/traveling mindset is to buy a project trailer that you and more importanly HER have to work on first BEFORE you can travel with the Grandchild and enjoy the trailer.

Probably the BEST reason to buy a "Ready To Go NOW Trailer" is that your now 7 year old Grandchild will probably be at least 10 years old before you finish Re-Building that POS Project Trailer you purchased and that now 10 year old Grandchild might no longer be interested in long trips with Grandma and Grandpa!

Buy a "Ready To Go NOW" Completely Functional Trailer and go enjoy your life traveling and exploring with your wife and Grandchild!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote