Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2006, 07:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
Surferstyler, please PM when you put them up. I'm really anxious to see how it looks. As a forum newbie, I have a really hard time finding threads again to follow-up on something interesting I've read days later.
If you go to the blue bar at the top of the screen, you'll see a tab called "User CP". If you click that, a screen will come up showing all of the threads you are participating in that have new replies under the title of "New Subscribed Threads". If there is nothing there, there are no new replies in that thread. At the lower rght of this title is a link to all subscribed threads that makes it very easy to see all of the threads you have participated in. I find it very usefull because I also have problems remembering where I've posted.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:44 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
San Juan Capistrano , California
Update

Well, the paint didn't happen this weekend. The prep work was a bit more than we planned for. The crap on the walls, 33 years worth is a bit tough to get off. But we got some really good stuff at Home Depot. Using a scouring pad really helped too. As my wife was inside scrubbing, I was inside and outside working on the wheel wells. The inside plastic had cracked around the rivets, causign huge gaps between the wheel well and the wall. Allowing a lot of dust to come in during transit. That and the fact that the rivets outside along the wheel well were broken, allowing a lot of dust to come in there too. As you can see, I re-rivited the outside wheel wells, and on the inside, I put a #6 washer on the rivet head to enlarge the face of the rivet to give it more holding support. I think I'll be using that trick again and again. Plus, on the inside only, I used silicone sealant in the gaps to help close them up. In a few places, the skin was further away than the length of the rivet, so I used a couple screws to pull it in so I could rivet it down. We should be done with all the prep work, and taping so we can paint this weekend. I hope!
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1964.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	20957   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1965.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	20958  

Name:	DSCN1966.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	20959  
surferstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:22 PM   #23
Put a bird on it!

1976 Argosy 20
SANTA BARBARA , California
Hi fellow Surfer! Please don't throw out anything that I might need! My 71 needs more than a few odds and ends inside. I would be interested in your front couch and tambour doors. Mine too has the lovely dark wook interior. I drive through So Cal once a week, so let me know if you have anything! Have fun with that!
SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:34 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Plastic Wheel Wells?

Am I seeing that correctly? Are those wheel wells plastic? In my '58 both the wheel wells and wheel well "covers" (for lack of a better term) are steel.
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Plastic

Yes, they are plastic. Soft, mushy and plastic. Unfortunatly. My wife thought she could sit on one yesterday, I about died. Luckily it popped back out!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:15 PM   #26
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
Ron, looks like the exact same setup as my '73. Did you use any type of gasket materials between either the inner or outer wheel well covers? There was some applied at the factory, but the one on the outrer cover was almost useless. As you described, that cover had pulled away from the outer skin and was allowing dirt/dust/junk in everywhere.

Nice looking job. Keep us up to date.

JIm

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:20 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
I didn't add any gasket material, but there were a few linings still in tact. I used 1/2 long rivets too to make sure I got through each layer. More updates next week. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:37 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
We finally did some painting

Delays, and more delays. However, we finally got around to getting the inside primed and painted. It came out great! The picture won't do it justice, especially on this Southern California gloomy overcast day. My wife found some fabrics at Crate & Barrel that she really liked, so we had Sherwin Williams match up the paint from one of the colors. It's a soft lime green, and will look great with the maple interior that we'll be building. The primer that they recommended is really strong and thick. The consistency was like glue. They say that it will stick to anything, glass included.

We also received our cork flooring. Beautiful stuff! We ordered it online from DIYFlooring.com. We should be installing it this weekend, as well as our new ceiling lights and alluminum center panel that will replace the entire stretch of vinyl covered aluminum on the ceiling. Can't wait to get it done.

Finally, we are going to be painting the bathroom cabinet and bath with a two-part epoxy paint kit from Home Depot. White, white or white. That's it. I'll have more updates soon!
Regards,
Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2101.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	21417   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2102.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	21418  

Old 05-19-2006, 03:26 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Update

We've got floors! We spent a few hours yesterday afternoon getting the new cork flooring put in. Looks and feels great! I'm having a new Reese Dual Cam hitch installed right now too. So happy that things are happening now!

Next up, finish the recessed lights on the ceiling, and then install the new brushed aluminum skin on the ceiling. And paint the ABS plastic in the bathroom.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2113.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	21495   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2115.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	21496  

Old 05-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #30
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Possum Trot , Georgia
That's really looking great! Looks like your trailer has the same layout as my '73. Keep us up to date.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:12 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
So I'm curious...

what are you using for the aluminum (sheet stock, or ordered from Airstream, etc)? How will you mount it. I'm assuming you'll pop rivet it - will you use new holes drilled by holding the sheet in place, or are you making a template with the old one (skylight holes, rivet holes, and everything)?

Lastly - will you be reusing the plastic channels that trim out the orginal on the sides? My Argosy has long plastic "runners" (from front cap to back cap) that cap the sides of this panel. OR are you just going to leave the panel on top of the other side panels like in the modern CCD's?

Looking great! Keep us updated!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:16 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Ceiling panel

The plan for the ceiling panel will be to replace the existing vinyl covered panels with .025 aluminum. I have already wired up the recessed lights, 3 in the living room area, and 2 in the middle bedroom. With their own switches up by the front door. The middle bedroom also has a switch (3-way switches for these lights) so that the bedroom lights can be turned on from the front door or from the bedroom.

I'm using the existing tracks that are still in place to hold the edges of the aluminum. However, I'm pretty sure that these are aluminum, not plastic. I'll use the old skin as temples but I'll drill new holes for the rivets when the new skin is in place so that they are in the exact right place. I'm really looking forward to putting this in. I think it's going to look great! The aluminum skin that I'll be installing is from Aircraft Spruce. Stock aluminum. I'll have more updates soon!
Ron
Old 06-01-2006, 12:21 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
New ceiling installed

Well, over the weekend we finished the recessed lights, and installed our new aluminum ceiling skin. It looks awesome! It was very easy to work with, but sharp as heck as you'll see below. I made the mistake of not wearing closed toe shoes, and wham! I got a cut pretty bad by one of the sharp edges. I must have lost a cup or more of blood! All for the love of our Airstream! Things are coming together now. The new furnace is being put in today, as well as all new screens. We are headed off to Yosemite this weekend for a trial run, or our Maiden Voyage. She won't be finished, but it will be better than a tent!

We will re-install the old wall panels just for the trip to give the baby some quiet time of his own. I might put together a make-shift kitchen cabinet so we can use the sink & stove. Fridge works, furnace will work, plumming and electrical will be working too. We'll be sleeping on our queen size futon that is very comfortable. We just won't have all the cherry cabinetry and cherry wall panels up yet.

Tons more to do, one day at a time!
Regards,
Ron

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2178.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	21806   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2179.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	21807  

Name:	DSCN2180.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	21808  
Old 06-01-2006, 03:58 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
It's Christine!...

wow - make sure she doesn't bite again!

Looks great! I like that aluminum up there! Did you cut the openings for the skylights with tin snips and the lights with a drill? You did a great job. Did Aircraft Spruce cut the panel to width for you too?

Enjoy your trip! I'm sure you'll know this, but I forgot to screw down my oven while making a short trip with the trailer in the middle of a kitchen project.... only to find it on the floor afte the trip - oops. Just anchor it down for the trip!
Tell us more as you do it, looking great!
Marc
Old 06-01-2006, 04:15 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Christine got me!

Marc,

Yes, Aircraft Spruce cut the sheets to 24" width for me, then I cut them to length with power shears from Harbor Freight. Straight lines cut well, but the curves were challenging. I ended up using snips for the curves. I'll fabricate some type of trim that will hold the screens around the vent openings. This will hide the snip marks too. As for the light holes. Just a 2" Home Depot hole saw did the trick. Cut really clean too.

Amazingly, it was quite easy to install. Much easier than taking out the skin that was already there. The orginal skin was about 24 1/4", and very snug. Since the sheets are in 48" widths, my two pieces were actually about 23 7/8" wide. Which gave it a little more room to fit. Worked out great!
Ron
Old 06-01-2006, 06:03 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Thanks!

My wife and I REALLY like that look - I think it may be in the books for this summer or fall.

RE - the screens. Do you not have the orginal metal frames that the screens mounted in for the skylights?
Marc
Old 06-01-2006, 09:26 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Screens

Marc, we don't have the orginal screens for the vents. I'm not even sure what they may have looked like to tell you the truth. It should be pretty easy to make them.

Thanks for the compliment about the aluminum ceiling. We thought it might be cool, and different. I'm sure the "purists" out there won't care for it, but that's ok. I'm sure they'll appreciate the cherry!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:06 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
The screens...

are held in by a slightly thick piece of aluminum (with the aluminum track for ribbing material in it on the back) that is soft radiused on the corners and rolled under on the edges. I'm sorry I don't have a pic right now to show you, but yes, it's a simple design. All those pics of "squished" Airstreams make me think of people that may have spare parts that others can use.... oh well.

Please post pics of your cabinets during construction.... I'm learning alot from others work.

I wouldn't worry about others' opinions... each trailer is unique and wonderful in some way.
Marc
Old 06-02-2006, 01:10 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
WOW! What a look you got!!!

Surfer -

WOW! What a 'look' you've got!!!

I admire it from a 'light' perspective as well as just a construction standpoint. It should be great to live with.

Be sure to keep us all up to date with experiences, as well as photos!!!!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:48 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
ceiling

that ceiling is cool. i thought about doing that to break up all that vinyl and keep it tied in w/ the airstream motife?! definetly cool.

crowbar
crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote