Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2013, 05:05 AM   #1
Airhead in An Airstream

1973 27' Overlander
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Longview , Texas
More Progress

Hi everyone,

John and I have decided to attend our first rally, the Vintage AS Rally in Gonzales Texas, in October. That means we had to kick it up another gear to have more than just a shiny silver shell.

We have made a lot of progress BUT still have a long way to go!
Here are some photos and a partial list of things we've done.

Replaced axles, brakes, shocks, etc. Reworked and reinforced the frame behind the axles. Added a gray water tank.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3064.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	190814

Name:	IMG_20130621_071829_012.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	190815
Completely replumbed the trailer. Replaced the bathroom sub-flooring. Reworking the 12 volt and 110 volt wiring systems. Removed the belly pans (found 21 dead critters YUCK) and will replace them once we confirm that there are no plumbing leaks. Bought an English Wheel to rework or replace the banana wraps.

Name:	IMG_3063.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	190816

Name:	DSCF4405.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	190817
Stripped off the nasty old wallpaper and polished the aluminum inside and out (still have 2 more grades of polish to complete on the outside).

Name:	DSCF4395.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	190818

Name:	DSCF4399.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	190819
Starting to tackle those thousands of little projects - like strip, clean up and refurbish the range vent.

Name:	DSCF4401.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	190820
We plan to use just a few interior parts ( the range vent, sink and bed frame). Have new appliances, electric fixtures, commode and shower.

Name:	DSCF4404.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	190821
The rest of the interior parts are FREE to anyone that wants to come get them. We are in Longview, Texas ( 2 hours east of Dallas).

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel- or is that a train?
Susan
SCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Wow, thats a lot of work. I'm envious of that nice garage you have to work in, dealing with the heat and rain sucks when you are trying to make progress. Should be beautiful when you finish. Have you thought about what you are going to do with the bathroom to finish it off?

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
Airhead in An Airstream

1973 27' Overlander
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Longview , Texas
Hi Aquinob,

We do have a plan for the bathroom. John really wanted a big shower and a better commode. The commode and hot water heater need to remain where they were originally.

The new shower and cabinets will go where the bathtub was. The commode will remain in place and the water heater will be covered with a new cabinet. A glass vessel sink will sit on top of the water heater cabinet. The bedroom/bathroom walls will move forward about 4 inches.

John is using pex plumbing which I had never seen before.

We will build a narrow cabinet that runs along the rear wall to a hide the plumbing and rear access door.

Name:	DSCF4402.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	190822
The cabinets will be ebony stained red oak. The floors will be cork covered bamboo and I am holding some swatches so you can see the colors.

Name:	IMG_20130711_102731_283.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	190823
John's next project is to put in the shower, bathroom walls and construct the closet so that he can install the new 12 volt controller. I hope he will be able to do that over the next week. I will post more photos as we move along.

Susan
PS I moved the trailer inside the workshop so that we would bump into it every time we turned around. I knew that if we left it outside it would never get done!
SCopp is offline   Reply With Quote