Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1970 - 1973 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Brookings , Oregon
Joining the club - Gumbygirl's 1970 Overlander

Hi everyone,
I'm super excited to have changed our status from Currently Looking! After soaking up info here and searching for about 9 months we found "the one". We were searching for something between 19 and 27 feet . Our preference was 25 ft. but as we searched we realized that condition was the biggest factor. We also live in a rather remote place and didn’t have time for huge recovery missions or too many wasted trips looking at possible trailers. After looking at 3 or 4 we found this one about 5 hours away.
Our new obsession was owned by one family. We have all the receipts and info for various things starting when they started looking. The first document for a dealer estimate is dated 1963. They had dealer estimates pretty much every year until they made the purchase in 1970. The original owners passed the title over to their daughter and husband in 1984 after one of the original owners passed away. We bought from the daughter and husband who also kept every receipt and are putting together a timeline of trips they took for us and some photos. We want to make a photo book to keep in the trailer of its history.

This trailer has a LOT of miles on her but the owners were pretty meticulous and made every effort to keep it maintained. He was a teacher so they had summers to take lots of trips. They really didn't want to sell. He had tears in his eyes when he signed the bill of sale. We think she's a beauty for her age.

These are the “before” pics just as we received it, before we even washed it.

There is a broken window that will be replaced in the near future. They kept it in storage and someone broke into it while it was there.

First up will be the safety stuff. We have axles, shocks, tires ordered as well as a metal carport to protect her from the Oregon coast winters. It has the original axles. He replaced shocks etc but never the axles :0. We also have 3 of the original hubcaps. We will be in search of a fourth.

In 1994 something called a "tie up" was done at Cascade Trailer Sales in Eugene, OR . They no longer exist. Anyone know what that might have been? We are guessing it was what Airstream recommended in their service bulletin for the rear end sag. The P.O. said they took it to Jackson Center and they had three big guys jump on the bumper and said it was ok but they felt like it was sagging so they had it done.

Once we get a cover we will work on resealing and decide what to do with the clear coat. It was stripped and recoated twice. 1985 and 1993. We don’t want a mirror polish. We like the idea a strip a recoat again but need to get some estimates as well as figure where to get that done.

The interior is in really good shape. They did an update in 1998. I was a little sad that it didn't have the original green counter but I'll get over it. The carpet will go. Probably Marmoleum...either sheet or click. Carpet and I don't get along well. But that's a ways down the list. The upholstery will also go at some point. Something period correct is our intent.

The only leak we have found so far is what you can see here on the bathroom sink. PO said they've been tracking it down for years but haven't been able to find the source. We will be resealing pretty much everything so with a little luck maybe we will get that taken care of.

A lot of spare parts and extras came with it.

Also the original Owner’s Manual and some other brochures.

Making a post here is quite an adventure. Whew! I now appreciate you all even more!

Cathy
GumbyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Wow! She's a beauty! Congrats and welcome - thanks for the great pics!!! Happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Wow, that is a remarkably complete and well cared for Airstream. Congratulations and welcome.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Gumby G is gorgeous, I particularly like the cabinet piece with the WBCCI decals. Have fun.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Brookings , Oregon
The decals

Thanks guys!
The decals are from the rally events both owners have attended since it was new. We like them too. Those will stay. We aren't much into group camping but we sorta feel like we owe it to the history of this trailer to keep its numbers registered and the PO highly recommended being part of a group And learning from other people so we are leaning toward joining.

I'm sure we will find things to keep us occupied as we get to know it better. There is some softness in the rear corners if you open the back hatch and poke around. It will need to be handled but doesn't feel like immediate impending doom.

Where do you guys have your batteries located? Ours is in that rear trunk but we would like to relocate it.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
I highly recommend joining WBCCI, especially in Oregon, great group there, and very fun and active. Lots of good information and help will come with the group. Good luck, looks like a well cared for Airstream.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:45 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Great find

cool history on the AS. Its always good to pick one up with good aura around it. Gets you off to a good start.
Safe travels and enjoy !
Old 08-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Brookings , Oregon
In search of a hubcap

These are the hubcaps we have. Needing one more if anyone happens to have one they aren't going to use. I'll also list in the classifieds but thought I'd throw it out there on this thread as well
Old 08-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Pocahontas , Iowa
Hey GumbyGirl,

Love the post on your Overlander. We also bought one last summer. Most everything is original, two owners before us. Was wondering if I should take pics and post, after seeing yours I think I will. And..............welcome.

dianalynn
dianalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Brookings , Oregon
Yes please

Dianalynn please do! We all love looking at pics!.

It's kind of a pain getting them posted but worth it in the end. I ended up resizing to 700px on the long side (but I think 650px would work better and you wouldn't get that yellow message at the top) uploading to Flikr and using the [img]yourpicaddyhere[/img] tags to be able to show more than 10 images.
I did it all in a Word document first so I could edit and wouldn't cry if I lost it or something weird happened. Then I copy and pasted into a new thread.

Cathy
Old 08-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #11
Camping Through My Eyes

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Detroit , Michigan
Such a beauty , congratulations.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:29 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
Wow! Looks like you found a real jewel. It is so nice to see an older Airstream that was taken care of and appreciated. Your kitchen and bathroom look a lot like our 1971 Sovereign. Thanks for sharing the story and photos. Hope you guys have many fun adventures.
TxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Pocahontas , Iowa
Thanks for the tips for the pics. I will be on vacation next week and hopefully can do it then. Can't wait to see more pics from you

dianalynn
dianalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Great old Overlander. The bonus is having all that history. Also the fact that the p.o. seems to really have cared for it. Mine is older but the history was all there. Books, records, original order slip, etc. Makes a great treasure in one of the cabinets
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Brighton , Queensland
Hubcaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyGirl View Post
These are the hubcaps we have. Needing one more if anyone happens to have one they aren't going to use. I'll also list in the classifieds but thought I'd throw it out there on this thread as well
Hey there! I have 3 of those hubcaps in varying conditions - like you, our 1970 Overland only had 3 when we bought it. Are you still looking for one?
MADwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Brookings , Oregon
Thanks for taking the time to reply we did find one so we are good for now .