Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #41
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
taking this weekend off from working on the AS proper, but we are still trying to move forward. Going tomorrow to look at a 31' Sovereign for parts... I think it will supply all the windows that we need as well as many other parts. Possibly it may be able to help some other AS with donor parts... We shall see...
MJMarkhams70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Great work man...Love the VW too
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #43
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
well. although actual work didnt take place this weekend, we made some significant progress in the big scheme of things. We found the above posted Sovereign listed as a "parts trailer" on craigs list. We went and looked at the thing which has quite a few parts that we need for the Overlander. The parts include Zip Dee awnings!!!! to us that is a big score!!! We will also get most of the glass that we need for our restoration. The AS also has a relatively new Duo Therm AC unit atop which may be serviceable.

Once we have the items we need, the unit will be posted to let others have a chance to get things they need as well...
Old 08-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #44
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
come to find out the AC unit is about 1 year old. gave the Serial Number to the manufacturer and it was confirmed... WAAAAAHHOOOO!
Old 09-04-2009, 06:10 AM   #45
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Well, we're going to pick up the parts trailer today. It will provide many parts that we need to restore the Overlander...

Old 09-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #46
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
It is a good thing I don't live anywhere near you. "Can I have that? Oh, and that. Man, I could really use one of those. What would it take for you to part with that? Please, please. Oh, Oh! Are you going to need these?"

Best,
Wuttevr
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #47
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
the wreck of a Sovereign in out in the street in front of the house.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
OMG love the VWBUG....WAY TOO CUTE!
WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
lebanon , Indiana
You can cut the awning down to fit your trailer, I did this on my 62 Tradewind. Just take the fabric off the tube, cut the tube and aluminum cover to the corrrect length and find someone to cut and sew your fabric.

Tim
tchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #50
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
wreck of the sov...

THAT's a WRECK! wow, I must be missing something...did the trailer you started with look better than that?
ol' bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #51
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
it's worse than it looks (the sovereign). but that being said... the shell is back down on the new floor and will be permanently attached next weekend. I couldn't have asked for the shell to have fit down more perfectly. it was almost like I planned it that way. Tested the AC and it blows nice and cold. The awnings are off and we will clean them up, replace a few parts, sew new covers and install those soon. I think it will make things more comfortable while we recreate the interior. I will get pics soon...
Old 10-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #52
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
ok guys... I know several people have tried to contact us about the resto and various other things. With the flu, ear infections, car problems, rained out work days, working weekends, and honey-do's, it looks as though we will be getting back on track with the Overlander... Waaaahhhhooooo! I believe we have all the various things we need to re-attach the shell to the new floor. We've acquired stainless hardware to bolt it down and some 400 rivets to join things back together... We are looking into a local place to rework all the windows for us as well. I am hoping that she will be dried in really soon. I cant wait to get back to work and make some significant progress toward our Airstreaming life....
Old 11-23-2009, 06:41 AM   #53
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
It's been a while since I have been able to work on the Aluminum money pit, but I did get quite a bit done over the weekend in spite of Saturday being a rainout. We got the shell bolted down and the skin tacked into place with a few rivets. It is amazing just how different the shell fits from the original holes. Is this typical with refitting the shell that the rivet hole could be as much as 3/4" off from where they were from the factory? I can only assume that I will have to alter things slightly to make sure that I get a good fit that doesnt buckle the skin either when supported with the jacks or not. I cant see that the thing doesnt flex at all even from the factory. Well anyway, we will be back out there Wednesday night and ready to put in some hours to try to catch up with time we missed.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #54
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Waaahooo. The body is back on and straight. Well, as straight as it is going to be without panel replacements. I can live with the beauty marks that will be left. I guess I figure that I don't want a total new trailer, so having one that has some history is a good thing. I am very happy with the results of the last few days. I thought that creating some "L" brackets for securing the ribs firmly to the floor. When I get back home, I will upload a few pictures of the results of the labors. I can now start moving forward on other things, like the waste tanks and plumbing below the floor. Happy Thanksgiving all.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Keep the momentum going... and yes pictures would be GREAT!
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #56
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
yes in deed... I will be most likely ordering my holding tanks this next week. I need to get the plumbing under the floor knocked out so that I can finish any fabbing that I need to do to the rear. Then I can button up the belly...

Here are some pics that I took over the holiday. Wish there was more of the process. It's hard to take picture and work at the same time...

This is what I did in order to secure the connection between the ribs and the floor
Old 11-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #57
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Ordered more stuff I need from vintage trailer today to continue on the project. I should have a rivet gun, bucking tool, rivets and clecos to so some sheet metal work on the skin of the trailer. I am on a mission to get this thing dried in before the year is over. We will see how this plan goes as most projects of this scale seem to always change as you go.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #58
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
The S.C.S.

The '70 Cheering Section

MJM,

You are doing amazing work. Keep it up. And if you want to see "beauty marks", let me know and I can send you some photos that will have you buying stock in Alcoa! Dumpster's calling in life is to make others feel better about how well off they really are.

"Honey. I am going out to buck some rivets". I like the sound of that.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:15 AM   #59
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Thanks! I hope that in the next few weeks you guys will be witness to a lot of good things happening to the AS. One of the things I have been pondering is a name for the ol girl. It seems as though a lot of the good ones ha great names. My favorite right now being the "Silver Pickle". And I tell you if mine looks half as good.

I have to redraw my new holding tank setup so I cal get those things ordered and installed. I just can't seem to find it. My mind is going already. And we are working on all the windows to get everything back up to speed. I can see where this is going to add up very quickly.

Have a great day guys.

MJM
Old 12-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #60
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Well, it appears that my work this weekend may be on hold. There is SNOW in Houston Texas... Freezing temperature and foul weather do not make for productive work days outdoors. It may be an in the shop work weekend...

Happy Airstreaming to all!

Tags
1970 overlander, 27'