Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #141
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
i found some at Fastenal that will work for the letters. I appreciate the info and the time you took to pass it on...
Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #142
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Antoher HOT weekend of working on the AS. I think I spent as much time drinking water and Gatorade then I did did working... Not really, it just seemed like it.

I worked on the plumbing for my "No Fuss Flush" systems that I permanently plumbed to the tanks. I installed the quick connect fitting below the bumper on the streetside so I will be able to connect the slinky and water hoses so that I can flush the tanks easily. I am fabricating a door for the slinky access that will close up nicely under there. We worked on installing some more pieces and parts to the shell. I am really liking the way it's starting to look...

Old 07-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #143
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
It has been a great day for the AS... I just picked up two new Dexter #11 axles at lunch...WAAAAAHHHOOOOOOOOO!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #144
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Well, it was a good weekend for the Overlander... I got what I think was a big leap forward in the process of getting her back on the road. the new #11's are under there and ready to roll. brakes are working well. I hooked up the weight distribution as a test fit and I tink that it's going to work well. I will need to take some weights, but from the measurements I took of fender heights, it is doing great. One of the benefits from the new axles is that I have gained 3.5" of ground clearance, that I like due to the reduction in clearance from the rear tank configuration...

I will have to get pics of her with her wheels back on...

more to come soon...
Old 07-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #145
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
OH, WORD OF CAUTION...

Please be careful when you are working around the edges of aluminum. while removing the wheels yesterday morning, not 30 minutes into my work day, I tried to remove my 2nd knuckle from my right index finger. Although it may no seem sharp, it can cut you very quickly. I probably should have gone and had a few stitches put in it, but I'm stubborn and don't like to go to the doctor...
Old 07-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #146
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Gaining Inches

No, this isn't an herbal enhancement add. Nice work, Michael. I bet it feels good having that done. I know that was the biggest monkey on my back that I was glad to have off.

I'll second the motion for pix with wheels on. I am anxious to see how she sits with 32 degree down angles.

Best,
Chris

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #147
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster View Post
No, this isn't an herbal enhancement add. Nice work, Michael. I bet it feels good having that done. I know that was the biggest monkey on my back that I was glad to have off.

I'll second the motion for pix with wheels on. I am anxious to see how she sits with 32 degree down angles.

Best,
Chris
i didnt go with the 32 degree angles... I stayed with the 22's... seeing as how I went with the #11 3500# axle, i figured that the axle will retain a little more height when loaded. I know that it might give me a little stiffer ride when empty, but it shouldnt be on the road much like that...
Old 07-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #148
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Hope all of you had a safe and enjoyable weekend...

We worked on the AS this weekend but were cut short due to torrential rain...

Got the wheels under her. Finished up the last pieces of the belly wrap. finshed up the bumper storage are, and installed the lower trim... still working on installing Lexan in the last two windows. The rain was hard enough (about 1.25" per hour) to let us know that we do have a few minor leaks, but at least we know where they are now.

so here are a couple of pics of the before and after axle swap...

and the finished bumper area..

should be able to bring her to the house next weekend...
Old 07-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #149
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It came up several inches, didn't it? Looking good. Nothing like new axles and brake assemblies to make your day!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #150
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Congrats

......it is looking fantastic, Michael.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #151
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
I would love to see it in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMarkhams70 View Post
Hope all of you had a safe and enjoyable weekend...

We worked on the AS this weekend but were cut short due to torrential rain...

Got the wheels under her. Finished up the last pieces of the belly wrap. finshed up the bumper storage are, and installed the lower trim... still working on installing Lexan in the last two windows. The rain was hard enough (about 1.25" per hour) to let us know that we do have a few minor leaks, but at least we know where they are now.

so here are a couple of pics of the before and after axle swap...

and the finished bumper area..

should be able to bring her to the house next weekend...
Mark,
I am curious to know how the black/gray tanks worked out for you.
I have not gotten into mine yet but I do expect to have to replace both of them.
I especially like the design you came up
Two questions:
1. Was the total cost of the fabrication less than buying OEM parts?
2. Is the fabricator local (Houston), and since he's already done yours, would
he consider doing another one.
Sorry that was 3 questions.
Keep in touch and let me know when you're ready to do the technology on the interior.
George
2Rhinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #152
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
As far as I can tell at the moment, the tanks worked out well. I dont know if your aware, but the 70 Overlander had only a black tank. I thought that the addition of the gray tank would be a good thing and would add more "usability" to the trailer. I have already been made aware of, or thought of a few improvements that could be made to my design...

I will give you a call when I can, and chat with you about it...
Old 07-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
It actually looks to me like your poor ole Airstream is smiling with happiness and pride to have new axles and some SHINE.

good work!

Paula
Old 07-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #154
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
well, we brought the trailer to the house today...and it made the 50+ mile trip flawlessly. I was really amazed at how effortlessly the Excursion pulled the AS, I didnt even know it was there. And the fuel millage monitor only dropped down to about 16.3 mpg which I dont think is half bad. More pics to come...
Old 08-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #155
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
it's been crazy hot this weekend and I haven't been able to get a lot of things accomplished. I did however, work on getting power sorted out so that we can plug the trailer in. I installed a 30 amp RV plug on the outside of the garage and tied that into the breaker box on its own dedicated 30amp breaker. while I was at it I added an additional 4 outlets in the garage as the builder only thought that one outlet was sufficient. I wired up the breaker box in the trailer and hooked everything up so the we could crank up the A/C. it was a sooth process and when the time came to fire it all up, it worked. at least it did for a little while. the compressor decided that it didn't want to stay on but the blower worked fine. the longest it would work was for about 30 min. I am wondering if I have a relay or something that is not cooperating. (its a Duo-Therm that is about 5 years old) I have not put a meter on it to get a reading on voltage. could I just not have enough voltage/amps to supply the compressor? it would be really nice to have the A/C on these HOT days... thought and ideas are welcom

PS the A/c was the only thing wired to the breaker box, so there was not additional loads on the circuit.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #156
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
ok, so I had a theory, and I dont know if I found the problem or not. I was doing some reading and thought I had a "short cycle" situation. I went out and turned it back on and the compressor ran for about 30 minutes. I turned it off for a minute and then turned it back on and the compressor would not start. I am wondering if I have an issue with the start capacitor or the overload protector... I will have to get this figured out. hopefully I can find the parts...
Old 08-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #157
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Ohio
Might be a freon issue.
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #158
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Try The Simplest Thing First

Which means you probably already thought of it. But is the thermostat temperature probe in the correct spot? I could see if it was up near the evaporator that it would shut things down for a long while until it warmed back up. The only reason I bother to mention it is I managed to accidentally relocate mine while doing the install.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:19 AM   #159
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
as far as I know, the probe is in the proper location. it is clipped to the edge of the inlet on the control panel plate that bolts to the unit from the inside. I am going to try to make a temporary duct to move the cool air farther away from the unit so that it draws the warm air for a longer period of time. It would just be nice to get the temps down to a bearable range to work in there in the afternoons.

On a different note: I am trying to decide which direction to go on the power center. I am thinking of going to one of the combined 110/12v panels with the built in converters. But I also think there might be benefits to keeping them separate. As far as I can tell I can get a larger converter if I keep them apart. If I remember the size of the combined units are limited, so I may be able to get a larger unit if I keep them apart.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #160
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Opinions and @$#$$%$oles

I figured that wasn’t the problem, but that is about as far as my A/C knowledge takes me. But as you already pointed out, something is telling the compressor to turn off.

Just one man’s opinion-

Inteli-Power PD 9200 series converter/charger (Ebay)
12 VDC fuse panel from VTS
New AC panel and breakers of your choice from Lowe’s/HD

The integrated power centers that I was able to find, for the equivalent cost of the three things above, totally lacked the most important feature to an RV’er: sophisticated, multi-stage battery charging/maintenance. Good batteries are expensive. Inteli-Power = plug it in and forget about it.

This impressed upon me the importance of a good charger, and is my battery bible: http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Tags
1970 overlander, 27'