Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #101
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Wow! Those look great. What's your address? Mine are already boxed up and ready to send. Nyuck, nyuck.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #102
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Question:
I am going to work on installing the new front windows and part of this is going to include a custom rock guard to protect them. Can any of you guys supply us some detailed photos of an original 1970 rock guard? I am most interested in the shape of the plastic

Thanks in advance...
MJMarkhams70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #103
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
I know, I know, it's worthless without pics, but here goes anyway...

I got out to the farm later than I hoped to and got a late start, but I replaced the body panel below the rear door on Saturday. it was a bigger job than I had expected but it turned out pretty good. I can live with it. I got up and started about 6:30 am on Sunday. I removed all the old rusty license plate light and patched a hole there and installed a new light fixture. I reinstalled the newly reworked "International" logo on the back. I also installed a new license plate bracket on the rear door. I cut a hole and installed a new 30 amp Shore power connection on the back as well. I removed the bath vent cover from the shell, took it apart, cleaned all the old caulking (along with a huge wasp nest) from everything. I applied new sealant and re-installed the thing. I removed, cleaned, made a new seal for, and re-installed the bath plumbing roof vent. I took off the old antenna, cleaned up that mess, and installed a new Winegard antenna. I also cleaned up all the mess that was left when I removed the old large vista view window and installed the rebuilt vista view. (that was a total pain in the a.. exercise rebuilding that thing) And the wife got most of all the screens reworked so that we can keep the birds form building any other nests in there. All in all I feel that we were able to get quite a bit done. I hope that this coming weekend can be more productive...
Old 05-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #104
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
I should have listen to the commercials about online hard drive backup... the home computer is down, so picture will be coming soon...

Got out to work on the AS about noon on Saturday, but the morning was spent rounding up parts for the tank install. Yes the tanks are done. I have them installed, but they will need to come back out so I can do some adjusting on the metal work I did under there. All in all, I am please with the results. I am about 90% done with getting the shell water tight. I removed more pieces from the shell and cleaned old sealant and reinstalled vent covers and such. It shouldn't be long before we move to the interior...
Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #105
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
here is the space where the tanks will go

Here are the tanks... I think I am happy with them.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:02 AM   #106
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Now you have an official poop deck

Wow. Nice work. Looks professional to me.

But I have questions-
Did you 'spin-weld' the fittings on, or weld those as you did the rest of the tank?

I also noticed that you took the banding off the sides. I don't know what it is called, but the stuff that looks like the rub rail, only halfway up the side. Is it staying off? Everytime I look at that stuff on mine, I can't help but think it would look better without it. However, removing it would require filling in the rivet holes with Olympics, and then purchasing one of the most overpriced tools in the free world.

Looking great!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #107
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
because the material that ended up being used on the tank is PVC, the holes for the fitting are double reinforced and glued into place with PVC glue. I have water tested the tanks and they hold great... The black fittings on top are just rubber grommets. just cut the hold and insert the grommets. One of the things that I am thinking of doing is turning the valves horizontal and NOT cutting a big hole through the floor in the back. then I can just access the valves from the bumper access panel and not through the rear door. although, I see a reason to seal off the tank area from that bumper storage area as well... Who knows. I still have some time to figure that on out.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
man, that's looking great!! Hope mine turns out as well great job!!
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #109
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
worked on the AS yesterday. didn't get as much done as I would have liked but some is better than none.

I am almost done with the shell as far as getting t water tight. a few more things, then we can give the whole thing an initial cut with the buffer before moving on to the interior. I have decided that I can live with a few patches to fix some of the hard life that the old girl has had. granted I have see way worse. but I wanted to do something...
BEFORE:

AFTER:

and the new identification badges installed...

the exterior is starting to shape up nicely, so it wont be too much longer before the focus is turned inward...

Hope all of you Moms have a wonderful day! I know I am blessed with a wonderful Wife who is a GREAT mother, a wonderful mom without whom I wouldn't be who I am, and a really great Mother-in-law... Happy Mother's Day!
Old 05-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #110
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
I knew it

I knew you had all of that stuff dipped. You dog! I am so jealous! It looks marvelous. I am stuck with paint.

See you in Jellystone, 2011!

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #111
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Well I am slow to add more info, but we were able to get more done over the weekend. Jenn was able to get what I wold think is about 90% of the shell stripped of the clear coat, and it already looks better. I reworked the tank are as I wasnt quite satisfied with how the tanks fit, but I am now... I worked on several areas installing more lights, reflectors, and continued sealing windows... I HATE VULCEM... I will be glad to not have to touch another tube for the foreseeable future... here are a couple of pics from the weekend

Old 06-04-2010, 06:50 AM   #112
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Here, Here. Or is it Hear, Hear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMarkhams70 View Post
... I HATE VULCEM... I will be glad to not have to touch another tube for the foreseeable future...
I second. And the motion carries. How many days do you have to wait before sticking your hand in it somewhere is no longer a worry? "S-O-B, not again. Where's the thinner?"

I would like at add rivets to the list. Putting them in? Fine. Drilling them out; particularly out of a substance other than metal? Pardon me while I use a string of profanity that would make George Carlin blush.

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #113
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
I am hoping that in the next 4 weeks that the exterior, minus the new awning fabric, will be 100% complete. I will be getting the new axles soon, so that will be another big jump forward. I have some really big hopes for the Overlander. the plan is to get it so that it can be brought to the house regularly so we can put in some evening hours on it. if we can, then some major progress can be made...
Old 06-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #114
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
well got a bit more done this weekend. Put the red rear marker lights in, installed some exterior 110v outlets, installed an outdoor shower in the rear. and started reworking the belly pan... it was a good weekend...

Old 06-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
The outlet box next to the outside shower – was that a hole that you patched and also put the outlet into? Just wondering. It looks great! Also, what are you going to use for outlet covers?

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #116
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
some may scream, but I cut a hole to put that outlet there. The original outlet in the center needed to be patched so I wanted the outlet panels to match, so I added the "patch" behind that one as well. I have added exterior water-proof covers for them. I will get pictures of them.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #117
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Any of you guys have any experience with the white elastomeric roof coatings? I am thinking that I may go that route for the roof. From what I've been reading that it reduces heat. I would also bet that it would reduce the noise from rain as well...
Old 06-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
I've been wondering if white roofed Airstreams would ever make a comeback. Seems like painting the roof was pretty popular in the 50's and 60's. My 59' Overlander had this "Egyptian Lacquer" option. Not sure if it worked since mine was mostly gone when I bought it and I stripped the remainder shortly after bringing it home. I'm probably in the minority, but I think it looks kind of cool (no pun intended).
Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMarkhams70 View Post
Any of you guys have any experience with the white elastomeric roof coatings? I am thinking that I may go that route for the roof. From what I've been reading that it reduces heat. I would also bet that it would reduce the noise from rain as well...
Old 06-10-2010, 05:20 AM   #119
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
I like the patch you did back on 5/9. It really cleaned up that ding. The outdoor shower is a great idea, and will be nicely hidden behind that door. I haven't considered one yet but will add it to my long want list. Your tanks really turned out nice too.
Russ
JSTOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:29 AM   #120
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
thanks guys! I really appreciate the encouragement. with our youngest daughter, who love to get dirty, the outdoor shower will be well used. it will also be a great place to give the dog a bath.

the covers we are going to use for the power outlets will look like these... and they are lockable

I am working on the belly trying hard to get it on the road, as we can bring it home for a week at a time to get some work done in the evenings... that will be nice. new axle to come soon...

Tags
1970 overlander, 27'