Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1970 - 1973 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #61
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
All I can say is WOW! I sent drawings to a fabrication company that makes holding tanks and to get back a quote of $2000.00, all I can say is Wow...

I will have to think about this one...
MJMarkhams70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Yeah, wow. Glad I don't need to replace ours (crosses fingers our tanks are still intact). There is a cheaper option that will run you about $5 and some labor... cut a hole in the bellypan and put a $5 bucket underneath ! Sorry, couldn't resist.

I did read some posts about making tanks but I don't think my skills should be trusted that much... especially a black tank.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:05 AM   #63
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Shop around

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMarkhams70 View Post
All I can say is WOW! I sent drawings to a fabrication company that makes holding tanks and to get back a quote of $2000.00, all I can say is Wow...

I will have to think about this one...
I can't remember where on this forum I read it, but I know others have had custom tanks made for around $200 a pop. I am sure someone else will chime in with actual experience. I will try and find that thread as well. And nothing that holds poop is worth 2 grand. At least in my humble opinion.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Thank you for posting pictures. It really helps. Keep up the good work. It willbe soooo worth it in the end....
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #65
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
I have to agree with the dumpster on this one. It would take A LOT of long walks back and forth through the snow, up hill both ways, barefoot, with sharp rocks in the snow to make being able to poop in the trailer worth $2K...

We received the wing windows from Out of Doors Mart today. I cant really say what I think of them yet. The wife placed the order with them, so I was out of the loop a little. I didnt realize they came with frames. But I cant say I think that the quality and condition of the frames has impressed me. scuffs, scratches, sealant on the frames and glass... some of it will clean up, but...

they will however be a far sight better than what the trailer has now...
Old 12-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #66
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Worth a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster View Post
I can't remember where on this forum I read it, but I know others have had custom tanks made for around $200 a pop. I am sure someone else will chime in with actual experience. I will try and find that thread as well. And nothing that holds poop is worth 2 grand. At least in my humble opinion.
Unless they are the ones who gave you the outrageous quote, give this place a call Inca Plastics Inc.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #67
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
I have been looking at contacting them, as they are the original supplier or my black tank. I have a quote out with a local shop to see what I can get from them. I hope that they give me a good quote. We will see.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #68
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I have been looking at contacting them, as they are the original supplier or my black tank. I have a quote out with a local shop to see what I can get from them. I hope that they give me a good quote. We will see.
Many parts for later model year trailers, are available, that would allow you to customize, so to speak, but with stock parts, instead of one of a kind.

I would suggest that you obtain a 1974 or 1975 service manual. In it, you will find how it was done, and you could easily incorporate that into your plans.

You might have to move a frame cross member or two, but that is alot easier than chasing down special parts, at huge costs.

The plus side of that, is if you had a failure, a stock part would be available, instead of more chasing down a source.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #69
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
plastic tanks

Inca Plastic, is very differnt from just a short time back.

We routinely have them produce some special tanks for us.

Back then, it took about 5 to 6 working days, and we would have that order delivered.

Today however, that same type of order, which is usually for 6 to 10 tanks, now takes several phone calls, and, 4 to 6 weeks delivery, and we consider ourselves lucky.

Sad, but true.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #70
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
thanks Andy. I appreciate the thoughts. If the guy I have looking at this at the moment cant come through for me, then I will look at more stock tanks. Once the Overlander is complete, The wife and two daughters will put quite a demand on the shower, so I am trying to come up with around a 50 Gal gray and 35 Gal black tank setup. We will see how it goes...
Old 12-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #71
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
I contacted a local plastics supplier and have purchase the sheets of 1/4" polyethylene so that I can fabricate the holding tanks to my specification. After doing the research, I feel like it shouldn't be that big of a deal to do it. In the end I should be at about 1/3 the cost of stock new tanks with shipping (and not have to compromise the design). I will post up pics of what I come up with. I am kind of excited about doing something new.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #72
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
These are the two tanks I will be fabricating...

Old 12-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Did you look here for tanks?

RV Surplus Salvage (Elkhart,IN)

RV Surplus Salvage (Elkhart,IN)

This is where I got all of my Tanks

Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #74
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Forgot to take the camera this weekend, so we are sans picture this time out. We finished taking out the interior panels and removed the rest of the pink insulation with all the mouse tunnels. We also removed the old non-working AC unit from the roof and put the new one up there, sealed it and bolted it down. It will need a little more attention with the sealant, but it's up there. This is going to be a short week, so we are going to try to put in some hours on the AS around the Christmas happenings... I know I should take a break, but I lost a lot of weekends due to weather over the last few months. I am going to try my best to get this thing dried in over the next two weekends... I really want to try to drag it to the Vintage Rally in Feb. Who knows...
Old 12-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #75
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
I wish a Merry Christmas to all and pray for a prosperous new year that includes many Airstream days, no matter if they are work days or vacation days... Have a Safe Holiday All!

The Markhams
Old 12-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
West Richland , Washington
I admire your "can do" attitude and you've made a lot of progress. I haven't seen on any other threads where someone has made their own poly tanks. What is the process for welding the poly sheets? Can anyone attempt this or do you require specialized training? Please keep us posted on your progress.

I assume you are still using the grey tank to flush the black tank which I think is a great idea. Are you rearranging the location of your toilet, tub (ie, floor plan) or will it still be the original layout?
JIMandPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #77
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
our original black tank was busted. so I started thinking up this plan about the tank setup. I was flip flopping back and forth about the whole thing and started looking at stock tanks. none gave me the setup that I was wanting. and as I stated in an earlier post, $2K for poop tanks, well, that just crappy... I have been doing a lot of reading, research and watching videos online about plastic welding. I know that there will be a learning curve to the fabrication process, but I do believe that I can do this. I will most certainly be documenting this part of the journey. If there is anything I can pass on I will... I picked up the 3 sheets of 4'x8'x1/4" Black HDPE last week to make the tanks from. I will order the fittings and sensors soon in order to get those in as well.

The bathroom layout will remain factory. I don't think it's a bad layout and I would guess that the less we can radically change the trailers original floorplan, the better it will be if we ever, God forbid, had to sell the trailer...
Old 12-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Go for it! We'll be watching the progress.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #79
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
We were able to get a little done on the AS today. Got the wing windows out and the old vulcem cleaned up. Also got the large vista view out and prepped fir the new windows arrival. I am thinking that I will be putting the new windows in once I remove the fiberglass endcap piece to refinish it. I would hate to make a bad move and break a new window. I will upload pics once we get home.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Thumbs up Lift-off: removing paint

Quote:
The wife found a great combination of two Bio-Friendly products that are doing a fantastic job at removing the paint that a PO put on the interior panels...
I just noticed your use of Lift-off. I'm excited to try and use this stuff. I was able to pressure wash off a lot of the paint but there were some sections that used a different primer and it just wouldn't come off. I was afraid that a paint remover would eat at the vinyl coating. I'll give this a try, thanks for the great tip.
Russ
JSTOTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1970 overlander, 27'